Homebrews with female characters

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Sik

Re: Homebrews with female characters

Post by Sik » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:20 pm

I thought she stopped at a test screen. At least I don't recall seeing any progress beyond that (I could be wrong though).

DRW

Post by DRW » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:22 pm

Sik wrote:The problem with Layla though is that the game really shows its age, so it's not really for everybody.
Layla would have actually been a possible cadidate, despite the cute graphics. (At least their profile pictures are classic anime style.) If it wasn't for two factors:

1. In each level you get a speed boost. But this works against you since you can barely control the character in the later levels anymore.

2. The camera position that I hate so much where you see less of what's in front of you than what's behind you.

tepples wrote:Which brings me to Lum's Wedding Bell, also released to arcade without the Urusei Yatsura license as Momoko 120%.
Yup: Arcade version with original characters, but the NES game is clearly a licensed game with a character who originated in an anime, so the girl is not a video game character. Also, it's frustratingly hard.

And besides: Yes, I also knew this game.
As I said, it's very unlikely that you can name me a licensed game that I haven't seen already. Which is why I'm looking for homebrews for this specific requirement.

dustmop wrote:There's Kira Kira Star Night - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8kj7kytJp4

But maybe you're not into it because it's pretty short and some folk complain it's too basic. Personally I like its simplicity.
As a general game, it looks quite nice. But for a female heroine who could be put into the line of Mario, Mega Man, Simon Belmont, Ryu Hayabusa or, well, Samus Aran, this game isn't really the best candidate.

Sik wrote:Now we need somebody to make this http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_8qYi4N43jSo/T ... 600/67.jpg
What's that?

Dwedit wrote:There's also that text adventure game by 0xABAD1DEA, but I don't know how far that got. Plus, it uses the Famicom Keyboard.
I guess if a text adventure would be enough, I could just as well play "Metroid". In this one, you see more of the woman than in any text adventure.
My game "City Trouble": www.denny-r-walter.de/city.htm

lidnariq

Post by lidnariq » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:42 am

There's Love Story, from the most recent competition and on the next multicart...

Bregalad

Post by Bregalad » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:53 am

My homebrew is planned to have a female protagonist, and a heroic one at most :beer: :D Such a shame I make progress so slowly.
I tried playing Metroid not so long ago, and I have to say that it's a pretty rough experience on NES, at least for a first-time player. Grinding for health gets really old, really quickly. Add to that a bunch of bullshit mechanisms like enemies giving damage inside doors where you can't move, and enemies spawning on top of the player.
Glad we agree that the original Metroid in NES/FDS is a terrible game. Almost everyone else seems to love this game, I never understood why. It has horrible graphics, horrible music (for NES standards) and the gameplay and control is by far the worst of any Nintendo made game. I won't even mention the lack of a map and the intentional cul-de-sac everywhere just to waste the player's time. Grinding for health is a concept that... HAAAAAAAARRRR!

DRW

Post by DRW » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:11 am

lidnariq wrote:There's Love Story, from the most recent competition and on the next multicart...
This is where you can choose between a man or a woman.
This might be fine for the game in general, but it disqualifies it as an example of an NES game with an actual female heroine.

I mean, multi character games, well, you also have that in SMB2. Or "Shadow of the Ninja". Or "Wai Wai World".
But where's the good game with an action girl that's clearly the one main protagonist? When it comes to the protagonist, where is the NES's answer to "Tomb Raider"?
Bregalad wrote:My homebrew is planned to have a female protagonist, and a heroic one at most :beer: :D Such a shame I make progress so slowly.
What will it be about? And do you already show screenshots (or at least the main character sprite)?

Joe

Post by Joe » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:41 am

DRW wrote:
Sik wrote:Now we need somebody to make this http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_8qYi4N43jSo/T ... 600/67.jpg
What's that?
That is 誰が為に肉を焼け! (dare ga tame ni niku wo yake!, "For Whom The Meat Grills!"*), and it's one of the fictional games submitted to Famicase. Its entry on the Famicase website describes it as a game about competitively grilling meat.

*Or something like that. I need to work on my Japanese.

mikaelmoizt

Post by mikaelmoizt » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:21 am

*somewhat off topic*

you know what would be an awesome idea? To convert Giana Sisters (c64 version) to nes :D
you might even be able to recycle some code from the original :wink:
I´ve got %01100011 problems but the BITs aint one.

DRW

Post by DRW » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:29 am

mikaelmoizt wrote:you might even be able to recycle some code from the original :wink:
That's right: For an NES "Giana Sisters", you could recycle a lot from "Super Mario Bros.", i.e. from the original.

Dwedit

Post by Dwedit » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:47 am

The other issue with Layla is a bit of gender stereotyping. The bonus objects are all sweet desserts which bounce away and you need to chase them. Now desserts aren't exclusively a female thing, tons of people like them. But it's being used to evoke a stereotype found in Japanese media.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!

Sik

Post by Sik » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:59 am

Joe wrote:That is 誰が為に肉を焼け! (dare ga tame ni niku wo yake!, "For Whom The Meat Grills!"*), and it's one of the fictional games submitted to Famicase. Its entry on the Famicase website describes it as a game about competitively grilling meat.
Yeah, that's the gist of it (although it doesn't explicitly say how it plays). Also you're making it sound more boring than the actual description =P (it's not just a competition, it's to the level of a freaking battle)
Bregalad wrote:Glad we agree that the original Metroid in NES/FDS is a terrible game. Almost everyone else seems to love this game, I never understood why. It has horrible graphics, horrible music (for NES standards) and the gameplay and control is by far the worst of any Nintendo made game. I won't even mention the lack of a map and the intentional cul-de-sac everywhere just to waste the player's time. Grinding for health is a concept that... HAAAAAAAARRRR!
Eh, the music is fine (as long as you stick to the FDS version), but that game needs a map badly or you're guaranteed to get lost. There's even a hack that adds it.

As for the graphics, amusingly earlier today I was wondering if it'd be possible to backport the Metroid 2 graphics to Metroid 1, since those seemed to look much better.
Dwedit wrote:The other issue with Layla is a bit of gender stereotyping. The bonus objects are all sweet desserts which bounce away and you need to chase them. Now desserts aren't exclusively a female thing, tons of people like them. But it's being used to evoke a stereotype found in Japanese media.
This was the same era where Bubble Bobble had you chasing for all sorts of food. If you want stereotyping, look at the ending instead (which makes absolutely no sense against the rest of the game, although gotta love the AI lampshading at least).

tepples

Post by tepples » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:06 am

DRW wrote:Why does everybody always refer to the Justin Bailey code?
Because Justin Bailey is as good a name as any for the fictional designer of a lightweight space activity suit, and some people are trying to get that name into what the trope wiki calls "ascended fanon".
thefox wrote:As the list of requirements grows and grows, I can't but be reminded of this old post from tokumaru: A day in DRW's life
Currently, unless I missed something, the requirements are an 1. action game for 2. NES with 3. no explicit erotic themes where you are 4. forced to play a character who is 5. human, 6. female, 7. visually identifiable as such in-game by 8. default, 9. not adapted from other media, and 10. not a clone of another game that has a male protagonist. For each requirement, an example is provided that hits all but that requirement. Yup, a DRW post.

mikaelmoizt

Post by mikaelmoizt » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:49 am

Based on the requirements posted by tepples
haunted hill.png
haunted hill.png (3.55 KiB) Viewed 2425 times
Haunted Hills from Action 52

edit: or are we just talking about homebrew here?
I´ve got %01100011 problems but the BITs aint one.

tepples

Post by tepples » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:00 am

Oh wait, is Love Story an Action 52 Owns-style clone of Haunted Hills? I'll need to tell my boss.

I assume the restriction to homebrew was in the sense of "I've already exhausted the licensed FC and NES library, so I have to resort to homebrew."

DRW

Post by DRW » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:38 am

tepples wrote:Because Justin Bailey is as good a name as any for the fictional designer of a lightweight space activity suit
Yeah, but you make it sound like that code is the password for this suit. Like 007 373 5963 to fight Mike Tyson. Even though it's just one random password. Unlike the NARPASSWORD which is actually a hardcoded password that serves a specific purpose.

I'm pretty sure that stupid Justin Bailey code is also the reason why people think that Samus' hair in the original game was green. No, it wasn't. She had brownish-reddish hair. The green color is just a palette swap to indicate a certain icon, just like her regular suit goes from orange to pink or purple when you switch the weapons. (Why these people don't have a look at the ending sequence is beyond me.) But they would know it if they just actually started the game with the zero suit from the start and not from some random location with an arbitrary collection of items.
tepples wrote:Yup, a DRW post.
Yeah, so? How else should I ask the question? Apart from "Don't ask for specific games at all", how do you think could this kind of question improve? Shall I ask: "Can you name me a game?" If this was my requirement, well, then I really wouldn't have to ask this question. Would you really prefer if I opened a thread to ask for games that could be found through a simple Google search?
mikaelmoizt wrote:Based on the requirements posted by tepples
haunted hill.png
Haunted Hills from Action 52

edit: or are we just talking about homebrew here?
Yes, this game could have been a candidate. But tepples forgot one requirement that I mentioned: The game shouldn't suck ass.
tepples wrote:Oh wait, is Love Story an Action 52 Owns-style clone of Haunted Hills? I'll need to tell my boss.
I wouldn't say so. Both are platformers, but they aren't anymore similar to each other than "Mega Man" is to "Contra". Unlike "The Krion Conquest" or "The Great Giana Sisters" which are definitely clones.

Kasumi

Post by Kasumi » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:55 am

DRW wrote: Yeah, so? How else should I ask the question? Apart from "Don't ask for specific games at all", how do you think could this kind of question improve? Shall I ask: "Can you name me a game?" If this was my requirement, well, then I really wouldn't have to ask this question. Would you really prefer if I opened a thread to ask for games that could be found through a simple Google search?
When a person asks a question, the goal is the get the answer. (Well, sometimes to start a discussion/other stuff but I don't think that's it here.) When you ask a question, you seem to do everything in your power to make it not desirable for anyone to answer. (Seemingly without realizing it.) It's a kind of fascinating self sabotage.

I've written several variations of posts now about how you're doing that. If you're truly interested, I can maybe PM you some of them. I'll try to keep this variation briefish, though. 8-)

The problem isn't how you asked the question (this time), it's how you respond to answers to the question. Say you asked for homebrew NES games starring women. I might give you 4, Tepples might give you 6, Dwedit might give you 2. That's only 12 games. Just try the 12 games. Don't tell us our suggestions don't meet your standards. Definitely don't say they suck ass. Just play them yourself and see. You didn't find one you like? Well, there are two end game scenarios in that case.

1. Others continue to post other games starring women. Even if they don't meet your criteria they won't take much time to test.

2. No more posts are made on this subject.

For case 1, giving more criteria just discourages people from posting because the lists get harder to make. For example maybe I remember a game stars a girl, but I don't remember how long it was. I have to spend time checking.

For case 2, we've likely stopped posting because we don't know any other games starring women. So we definitely don't know any more games starring women that are human/always visible as such/all that other junk Tepples itemized. The game probably doesn't exist, or if it does no one that posts here knows about it. Giving more criteria doesn't help. The search already returned 0 results.

I could understand all the extra criteria if there were hundreds of homebrew NES games starring women, but there's not.