Homebrews with female characters

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Great Hierophant

Re: Homebrews with female characters

Post by Great Hierophant » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:44 am

A bit late to the discussion, but this I made a blog entry not too long ago about every NES game I could find where the main character is or could be a female :

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/201 ... nists.html

tepples

Post by tepples » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:08 am

Let me guess what DRW might say:
  • Mach Rider, Metroid, Life Force: Feminine appearance in ending or other cut scenes, not in gameplay.
  • The Guardian Legend: Likewise, not obviously human during gameplay.
  • Athena: Crap game.
  • The Krion Conquest: Too similar to Mega Man. If only there were an actual Roll game...
  • Faria: Part of the character's quest is to reverse a curse on his endocrine system that is feminizing him. So sort of the exact opposite.
This leaves Arkista's Ring, WURM, and Ghost Lion. The side-scrolling levels in WURM might be the best substitute for the Hiatus Ward that wasn't.

DRW

Post by DRW » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:40 am

Also, I would additionally say what I have said several times before: I have seen every single official NES game with a female protagonist. I know all of them. All. You cannot name me one official title that I havent's heard about yet.

That's why I was asking specifically for homebrew games because there's the chance that there might be something out there that I don't know yet.
Unreleased prototypes that are not listed in GoodNES might work as well.
But you really don't need to name me any officially released NES games with a female protagonist. The chance is 100 % that I've seen it.

Or I would have answered that I'm sick of the situation that there aren't any games that I like that have a female character in the lead and that's why I'm programming my own game with a protagonist that is undeniably female, human, attractive and the lone hero of the game without any male counterpart. (We even have a sexy evil girl as the rival, but the final boss and all the mooks will be male. And the characters are 2 x 5 tiles instead of the standard 2 x 4 for better visual representation.)
tepples wrote:This leaves Arkista's Ring, WURM, and Ghost Lion.
"Ghost Lion" feaures a little girl. I want a grown up woman, not a child. (Also, I'm not so fond of turn-based RPGs anyway.)

Arkista's Ring is quite decent and you even have a nice artwork of Christine in the game. But I hate it that you have to play the game four times for beating it.
I mean, a highscore game where you just play until you're game over, sure, why not? But a game that loops, but that loops exactly four times? Nah, that becomes boring.

And "Wurm" is pretty crappy in its side scrolling levels. And in the boss battles.
tepples wrote:If only there were an actual Roll game...
Yeah, this wouldn't really count either. It would still be just a spinoff of a main series with a male character. It would still be just another part in the "Mega Man" storyline.

@Great Hierophant:
There are a bit more. "Layla" would have made it into my list if the gameplay hadn't been so sluggish. Then there's "Valis - The Phantasm Soldier" (confusing maze), "Wing of Madoola" (one life, no continues, crappy controls) and a few more.

Here is a list that further confirmed that, yes, I haven't overlooked any NES game:
http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/protagonist-female
My game "City Trouble": www.denny-r-walter.de/city.htm

rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 am

DRW wrote:But you really don't need to name me any officially released NES games with a female protagonist. The chance is 100 % that I've seen it.
This thread isn't all about you, you know. Just because you started a discussion doesn't mean it only exists to serve you. :P

DRW

Post by DRW » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:36 pm

rainwarrior wrote:This thread isn't all about you, you know. Just because you started a discussion doesn't mean it only exists to serve you. :P
Sure, but after the people here told me that my threads about looking for games are always very specific and that they don't serve a general purpose, I didn't think anymore that anybody else might find the thread useful in the first place and use it to look for specific games himself.
That's why I related the answer to myself. Because if nobody but me uses this thread for help anyway and somebody answers here, I can just as well tell him if the answer helps me personally.

Sure, the thread might be a general discussion that is read by anybody. But since tepples already said what I would have answered, I can just as well add stuff to the answer he gave in my name.

Dwedit

Post by Dwedit » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:58 pm

Sounds like you really just want to play Shantae.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!

rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:50 am

I should have said in my earlier post, but thanks for that link Great Heirophant, I enjoyed the read and picture examples.

DRW

Post by DRW » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:06 am

Dwedit wrote:Sounds like you really just want to play Shantae.
Yes, if that was an NES game.

Great Hierophant

Post by Great Hierophant » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:50 am

Thanks for the kind words. I did not include pure Famicom games because I was not sure how many games would be included and I wanted to keep the number of games to be discussed to a manageable number. Ditto for games with a female playable character like Shadow of the Ninja or Super Mario Bros. 2.

DRW

Post by DRW » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:00 am

If you still want to include some more, have a look at this site:
www.hardcoregaming101.net/inventories/80sheroines.htm

You can browse through it and pick the NES characters. Maybe there are some that aren't in your list yet.

Dwedit

Post by Dwedit » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:55 am

3 bootleg games with female characters:

AV Bishoujo Senshi Girl Fighting
Pocahontas
Titanic
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!

DRW

Post by DRW » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:11 am

1. Not a game about a heroine in an adventure. (Which was my original intention. In my personal case, it's about finding a female equivalent to Mario, Link, Simon Belmont, Mega Man etc. That's why I excluded "Zooming Secretary" right from the start. So, of course, any sports or one-on-one fighting games are excluded as well.)

2. Movie conversion, not natively a video game heroine.

3. Movie conversion, not natively a video game heroine. And it has a male player character as well.

tepples

Post by tepples » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:17 am

DRW wrote:In my personal case, it's about finding a female equivalent to Mario, Link, Simon Belmont, Mega Man etc.
"Simon Belmont and Mega Man" made me think of Captain N: The Game Master. But the only female in the N Team is Princess Lana, the Captain N counterpart of Palutena from Kid Icarus, and Palutena wasn't playable until Super Smash Bros. For.

DRW

Post by DRW » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:31 am

The "Captain N" comics had Samus Aran in a few issues.

rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:38 pm

Found out today about a Famicom game called "Lost Word of Jenny". Not a homebrew, but maybe an interesting looking game with a female protagonist.

http://retrovania-vgjunk.blogspot.ca/20 ... micom.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbE1Gkc8VEc