That BioMechanical Dude's Youtube Channel

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

BioMechanical Dude
Formerly AlienX

Re: That BioMechanical Dude's Youtube Channel

Post by BioMechanical Dude » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:36 am

The NES covers are made with Famitracker. The modern cover is made with OpenMPT, an open-source tracker.

I haven't released any original works. Recently I've been getting into composing and so far I've made two pieces, which are... alright, at best. The more I compose, the more I'll develop my skills and at some point I might make something worth uploading. :)
Greetings! I'm That Bio Mechanical Dude and I like creating various stuff like movies, games and of course chiptunes!
You can check out my YouTube Channel.
You can also follow me on Twitter.

dougeff

Post by dougeff » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:33 am

I might try a few original songs this year. And at least 1 awesome cover song. 8^) I wonder if they're going to have another FamiCompo this year?
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

BioMechanical Dude
Formerly AlienX

Post by BioMechanical Dude » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:45 am

Sorry for answering late.
Anyway, I think they might. They had one last year and I'm sure they'll want to keep it going. I might actually enter with a few covers or even some original music. ^_^
Greetings! I'm That Bio Mechanical Dude and I like creating various stuff like movies, games and of course chiptunes!

Great Hierophant

Post by Great Hierophant » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:57 am

I would like to point out two things about your Castlevania review.

1. The EGA may have greater overall resolution (320x200), but the NES has an advantage in height (256x240). Of those 240 vertical pixels, the action portion of the screen is using 176 on both systems. Unfortunately, the NES is using 256 horizontal pixels but the EGA uses 320 horizontal pixels, giving the latter graphics something of a stretched out feel, even when correcting for aspect ratios.

2. Performance is atrocious on real Tandys of the time (1990) with Tandy Graphics.

tepples

Post by tepples » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:22 am

The 320x200 pixel mode of the CGA and EGA is underscanned, meaning it has visible borders on all sides. It has a 7.16 MHz dot clock, same as the Atari 7800 and equivalent to half a color burst cycle or three NES/SNES master clocks per dot. This means the pixel aspect ratio is 6:7, and the active area is the same as 240x200 NES pixels.

MobyGames screenshot of Castlevania for DOS.
Aspect ratio is wrong, but it shows the use of 8x8 pixel tiles and 24x16 pixel metatiles.

The 24x16 pixel metatiles would be equivalent to 18x16 pixel NES metatiles, so yes, somewhat stretched.

And the performance of any EGA scrolling engine prior to Id's Commander Keen is likely crap.

BioMechanical Dude
Formerly AlienX

Post by BioMechanical Dude » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:09 pm

Great Hierophant wrote:1. The EGA may have greater overall resolution (320x200), but the NES has an advantage in height (256x240). Of those 240 vertical pixels, the action portion of the screen is using 176 on both systems. Unfortunately, the NES is using 256 horizontal pixels but the EGA uses 320 horizontal pixels, giving the latter graphics something of a stretched out feel, even when correcting for aspect ratios.
Hm... Interesting. When I usually compare resolutions, I judge by how much details you can have in the graphics, although the height advantage is something to consider, especially for action games. Nevertheless, my criticism was that the people, who made the DOS version, didn't design it around the EGA's restrictions and didn't take any of the advantages it had to offer. The action portion of the screen remains the same, sure, but directly porting a game from one system to another doesn't always work out and this game is proof of that. Changes have to be made. Though this could be Konami's fault. From what I've heard, they wanted the PC ports of their games to be exactly like the originals, disregarding the differences between systems... Then again, had the developers informed Konami of the EGA's specifications, they might have agreed to let them take a few liberties, especially considering that when they were being developed in-house, most of the Konami ports make good use of the hardware they're running on. But who knows? I don't really know what happened, during the making of this game, although I suspect it was a rushed job, like the other DOS ports.
Great Hierophant wrote:Performance is atrocious on real Tandys of the time (1990) with Tandy Graphics.
That's sad to hear, considering that only Tandys have the three-voice audio. :(
tepples wrote:And the performance of any EGA scrolling engine prior to Id's Commander Keen is likely crap.
More or less. Duke Nukem did a good job with its scrolling, even though it was chunky. Again, probably because of the speed and because the controls are much more responsive.

BioMechanical Dude
Formerly AlienX

Post by BioMechanical Dude » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:04 pm

PENTASOUND Cover!

The Pentasound Covers take just as much work as a regular cover. So for all the people following this thread, here is the latest cover, in case you don't follow the Pentasound thread. Oh, and if you're wondering what Pentasound is, here's some information.

I finally finished the Mission 1 Theme from Double Dragon! I decided to make it more like the Arcade version. This would also make sense, if the MT Computer, which uses the Pentasound chip, was an actual computer, because if Double Dragon came out for it, it would've been an arcade port. I think this cover shows off the Pentasound chip's capabilities more than the Vampire Killer cover.
You can listen to it here!

Is this cover good? What are your thoughts and criticisms for it? Which version of this theme do you prefer, in general? The NES version or the Arcade version? Let me know.

Thanks!

GradualGames

Post by GradualGames » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:35 pm

Very enjoyable sir. I tend not to think analytically or critically, I just enjoy things.
I will say I like that tolling middle voice note that starts to occur at :14 or so.

BioMechanical Dude
Formerly AlienX

Post by BioMechanical Dude » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:57 am

GradualGames wrote:I will say I like that tolling middle voice note that starts to occur at :14 or so.
I like it too. It's one of the elements in the original arcade version of the song, that didn't make it to the NES port. It was kind of jarring, when I heard it for the first time, but now it's grown on me. :lol:

BioMechanical Dude
Formerly AlienX

Post by BioMechanical Dude » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:22 pm

NEW VIDEO - CHOUJIN SENTAI JETMAN REVIEW!

I have finished the latest episode of Obscure Room! This time I'll be reviewing, Choujin Sentai Jetman, a Famicom game, based on the Super Sentai show of the same name. It was made by Natsume, who also brought you Harvest Moon, Power Blade and Shatterhand!
So, if you like Power Rangers/Super Sentai or just want to know about another obscure retro game, check out this review here!

If you like Obscure Room or my channel, in general, here's something you can do to support it: if you have friends, that also like retro games and video game music, please tell them about my channel. It'll help me out a lot and I'm pretty sure they'll enjoy my videos.

Tell me what you think about this video. What can I improve in the show? Can you guess which game I'm reviewing next? Let me know.

Thanks!

BioMechanical Dude
Formerly AlienX

Post by BioMechanical Dude » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:57 pm

I MADE A TWITTER ACCOUNT!

Well, it finally happened. I made a Twitter account. It's mostly based around the channel, but I'll be posting some other stuff, as well. Right now it's pretty empty, but there will probably be a lot of stuff in the future, so follow me, if you're interested. :) https://twitter.com/BioMechDude

BioMechanical Dude
Formerly AlienX

Post by BioMechanical Dude » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:45 am

RETRO COVER - [VRC7] BLOODY TEARS!

I just uploaded my VRC7 cover of Bloody Tears from Castlevania II: Simon's Quest! You can check it out here!

What do you think? Is this cover good? Have you ever thought what it would be like if most NES games used the VRC7? Let me know.

Thanks!

BioMechanical Dude
Formerly AlienX

Post by BioMechanical Dude » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:04 am

RETRO COVER - THEME OF SOLID SNAKE!

This is my cover of the epic Theme of Solid Snake from Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake! You can check it out here! This is one of my favorite video game themes and I think the cover turned out pretty well. What do you think?

BioMechanical Dude
Formerly AlienX

Post by BioMechanical Dude » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:01 am

RETRO COVER - DAREDEVIL!

Daredevil Season 2 is out, so I decided to make a cover of the main theme, to celebrate the occasion. You can check it out here!
What do you think? Is this cover good? Let me know!

BioMechanical Dude
Formerly AlienX

Post by BioMechanical Dude » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:06 am

NEW VIDEO - DARK SEED REVIEW!

"What is that?" you say. "Another review? Impossible! The last one took four months! This one just took... one."
That's right! While it wasn't as fast as I hoped, I have finished the latest episode of Obscure Room! This time I'll be taking a look at Dark Seed, a point-and-click adventure game, featuring the artwork of H. R. Giger, who designed the Xenomorph from the Alien movies! I hope you enjoy this review!
You can check it out here!

What do you think? What could be improved about this show? Let me know!