Your Biggest Video Game Playing Accomplishment

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Your Biggest Video Game Playing Accomplishment

Post by Drew Sebastino » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:49 pm

Well, I figured we hadn't had a good off-topic topic in a while, and this is General Stuff, so yeah. Today, I finally did something that has been haunting me for over 10 years at this point: I finally reached Master in Super Monkey Ball and beat it. (I used about 30 continues on Master 3, but whatever.) I don't know how many of you have played this game, but it gets as nails, and although it may not be the most difficult game ever, it's up there, and I consider myself to be good at video games. I've beaten Megaman 1, 2, and 3, (I never saw what was so hard about these games, but I thought I'd throw it out anyway) Ghosts and Goblins, Contra, Super C, R-Type I, II, and III, without even loosing a life on the first run, and I still consider this to be more important than that, partially because I've had this game since I was five in 2004 and I could hardly beat Beginner. I just felt sharing this because I was bored, and I was wondering if anyone else had a similar situation, also kind of to see what games people find difficult because like I said, I games like Megaman are overrated when it comes to difficulty. Play just about any other action platformer on the NES.

darryl.revok

Re: Your Biggest Video Game Playing Accomplishment

Post by darryl.revok » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:29 am

Congratulations! :beer:

Time to celebrate!

For me, I think one of my favorite times must have been playing Starcraft II, 2v2, and when I said glhf, one of the opponents was a dick and said f- you. Well, they rushed us and killed my partner, he left the game and I got control over his units. I came back and won 1v2. It was pretty exciting.

GradualGames

Post by GradualGames » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:02 am

Beating Ninja Gaiden 1 - 3. I had to completely turn off the "rage quit" impulse, and allow myself to die hundreds (thousands?) of times without blinking an eye---and it worked. I beat 'em. :D *edit* I'd say Ninja Gaiden 2 was the easiest of the bunch (but by no means easy), and 3 was by far the hardest, only giving you a limited number of continues. Forces you to master nearly the whole game before successfully beating it.

mic_

Post by mic_ » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:12 am

As a kid it was probably beating Castlevania on the NES or Double Dragon on the Gameboy, because I considered them to be pretty difficult games back then.

In terms of time spent relative to the length of the game, maybe it would be beating Super Smash TV with the good ending (I almost made it through the turbo mode afterwards, but died on the final boss :P ), or beating Tetris Attack's 1p vs mode on the hard level without losing any rounds (hello stress hormones!). After playing Tetris Attack for hours at end to try to beat it I would see block combos being put into place in my mind when I closed my eyes. It's dangerously addictive.

Speaking of the Ninja Gaiden games. I've always found the first game to be by far the easiest, and I used to speedrun it as a kid, before I'd ever heard of the word "speedrun". The second one is the one I think is the hardest. There's something about the hit detection that's just "off", and I often end up missing enemies or powerups with my sword that I easily would've hit in the first game. And those little devil dwarfs (or whatever they're supposed to be) that can curl up into a ball and then start bouncing around all over the places.. they're just plain evil.

JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:26 am

For me it's getting S++ on each chapter in Ikaruga. I've must of clock in over a thousand hours for that game.

dougeff

Post by dougeff » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:34 am

Yeah, Castlevania for me too. Beat it only once. Also got a crazy high score in Tetris once...I can't remember what it was (25 years ago), but none of my friends got even 1/4 as high.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

Bregalad

Post by Bregalad » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:56 am

I reached Rat Race on Battletoads honestly (that is - with the 5 lives code but without warps or any other codes).

I consider Mega Man 4 the hardest, it's the only one I couldn't beat without save states. I don't think beating MM 1-3 is an especially hard accomplishment, except maybe with regards to MM1 whose Wily stages are difficult, especially the 1st and the 4th.

rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:45 pm

Getting the pink tail in Final Fantasy IV (II), SNES.
Beating Battletoads, NES.
Building a Megalopolis in SimCity, SNES.
Beating Fantasy Zone II, SMS.

darryl.revok

Post by darryl.revok » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:46 pm

BTW, I think the hardest part about Mega Man 1 is the fact that the floating platforms in Dr. Wily stage 1 don't (seem to) move in a set pattern and can create situations in which you are guaranteed to die or could theoretically never create a situation that allows you to pass.

Although thinking about it, I have no idea how random number generation on the NES works, I haven't done any yet, but I'm pretty sure a computer can't truly create a random number. I know though it's often possible to create the appearance of random numbers in a lot of situations by timing them off of something completely irrelevant.

It didn't seem to me that there's a good pattern for timing your jumps like the other Mega Man games.

Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:52 pm

darryl.revok wrote:Congratulations! Time to celebrate!
Have you done the same thing, or even played Super Monkey Ball? I'm just curious. (Oh yeah, whoever says Expert 7 is the hardest is completely off their rocker.)
darryl.revok wrote:For me, I think one of my favorite times must have been playing Starcraft II, 2v2, and when I said glhf, one of the opponents was a dick and said f- you. Well, they rushed us and killed my partner, he left the game and I got control over his units. I came back and won 1v2. It was pretty exciting.
That completely flew over my head...
GradualGames wrote:Beating Ninja Gaiden 1 - 3. I had to completely turn off the "rage quit" impulse, and allow myself to die hundreds (thousands?) of times without blinking an eye---and it worked. I beat 'em.
I don't own Ninja Gaiden 3, and I've never actually beat 1 and 2, I've just gotten to the final boss and given up. :lol: That was a while ago though, and I wasn't as determined to beat those games as I have been with some others, like Super Monkey Ball.
mic_ wrote:beating Castlevania on the NES
Yeah, I've done that too. The game isn't too hard, aside for the grim reaper which I only passed by having the "III" item and the holy water. (I always thought it was a Molotov cocktail or something until someone told me otherwise. :lol: )
mic_ wrote:Speaking of the Ninja Gaiden games. I've always found the first game to be by far the easiest, and I used to speedrun it as a kid
The thing that makes that game difficult are the few ridiculous jumps that are just about only possible to pass with a powerup, (like the one the AVGN covered) and the final boss.
dougeff wrote:Also got a crazy high score in Tetris once...I can't remember what it was (25 years ago), but none of my friends got even 1/4 as high.
Yeah, I'm not too good at Tetris. I think the highest I ever got was level 15 (I don't memorize score).
Bregalad wrote:I reached Rat Race on Battletoads honestly
I actually just got Battletoads for myself for Christmas, although I haven't actually played it yet. I really just want to see what makes the "Turbo Tunnel" so difficult, although the kind of people who say it is think Minecart Carnage on DKC is and I can just about beat that with my eyes closed.
43110 wrote:For me it's getting S++ on each chapter in Ikaruga. I've must of clock in over a thousand hours for that game.
Hey, that kind of reminds me of how the 3DS and Wii U have the "daily log" thing where paranoid parents can see how long their children have been playing video games.
264 Hours of My Life Wasted.png
:shock:
darryl.revok wrote:BTW, I think the hardest part about Mega Man 1 is the fact that the floating platforms in Dr. Wily stage 1 don't (seem to) move in a set pattern and can create situations in which you are guaranteed to die or could theoretically never create a situation that allows you to pass.
You have the Magnet Beam though.
darryl.revok wrote:I'm pretty sure a computer can't truly create a random number.
It can't. I really don't see how any thing in life could possibly be "random". Things only appear to be random because not all the factors affecting it are known, or something like that.

You know, another game I just recently got that is on the verge of impossible is F-Zero GX. (I can usually come in first if I don't fall off the edge...) And it's made by the same people as Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2. (I heard Sega had more to do with the development of F-Zero GX than Nintendo who just owned the franchise, kind of like Donkey Kong Country and Rare except not quite that much.)

freem

Post by freem » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:56 pm

darryl.revok wrote:I'm pretty sure a computer can't truly create a random number.
a computer by itself, you're right. If you manage to add some source of entropy, though (e.g. CCD noise from a covered camera (can't seem to find the link for this one anymore), lava lamps (watch out for patents though), or other such hardware random number generators), you might be able to.

Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:59 pm

freem wrote:a computer by itself, you're right. If you manage to add some source of entropy, though (e.g. CCD noise from a covered camera (can't seem to find the link for this one anymore), lava lamps (watch out for patents though), or other such hardware random number generators), you might be able to.
Well, that's still not "truly" random. :lol:

tepples

Post by tepples » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:04 pm

It can if it has an input device that samples an analog process. Based on a suggestion from kevtris, I wrote an NES program (Pretendo) that forces an internal bus conflict in the NES PPU, samples the resulting line noise, and hashes it with CRC16 to generate an actually random 16-bit seed. Continuing to feed zeroes into the CRC16 function once it has been seeded allows its use as a pseudorandom number generator (PRNG).
I know though it's often possible to create the appearance of random numbers in a lot of situations by timing them off of something completely irrelevant.
That's called "luck manipulation" in the TAS community and "RNG abuse" in the Pokémon community.
Espozo wrote:Yeah, I'm not too good at Tetris. I think the highest I ever got was level 15 (I don't memorize score).
If you don't want to get jealous, don't search YouTube for tetris shirase.
I really don't see how any thing in life could possibly be "random". Things only appear to be random because not all the factors affecting it are known, or something like that.
Unlike an NES game's PRNG, real life has no hidden variables.

darryl.revok

Post by darryl.revok » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:35 pm

Espozo wrote:Have you done the same thing, or even played Super Monkey Ball? I'm just curious.
I think I played it a while back at a friend's house or something. Just wanted to spread some cheer.
darryl.revok wrote:...Starcraft II...
Espozo wrote:That completely flew over my head...
It's a complicated game. Basically you build a base and an army and use strategy to figure out what your opponent's going to make and build a better army, and tactics to win decisive victories against them in battle.

I like it because, to me, it is beyond a doubt the most difficult competitive game and allows a person to use their full mental capacity. It's like space chess, at a super high rate of speed. I had to give up playing, but I think it's a lot more interesting for a competitive "professional" game than DOTA or LOL. (which are direct descendants of Starcraft mods where you just have one unit)

Being a retro board, a more retro game would be fitting, but I mostly played RPGs. I worked at Gradius for years before I finally blasted that brain, but now it's not so hard anymore.

I keep saying I want to sit down and beat Ghosts and Goblins one night but damn, that's a job.

Really though, as a kid, some of my favorite gameplay times were with Mega Man 2, great from start to finish, but the ending got so intense! Super Mario 3 was a big one. It seemed so vast and open and unlike anything else I had played. Final Fantasy II (IV) was my first big RPG but FFIII (VI) left the biggest impact of memorable situations. Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger blew me away, Lunar for Sega CD.

I guess the biggest impacts for me as a kid anyway were from the perspective of what cool, engrossing things games could do. If it was too hard when I was young I often didn't keep playing. Renting Battletoads one weekend and beating the Turbo Tunnel once with my brother was enough for us to say, "that was really neat but not worth buying". It's a lot different when you're a kid and you might just get a couple carts per year.
dougeff wrote:Also got a crazy high score in Tetris once...I can't remember what it was (25 years ago), but none of my friends got even 1/4 as high.
I do enjoy a good tetris.
Espozo wrote:You have the Magnet Beam though.
Do you though?

The first time I played this one, after MM2, I didn't. And when I got to the platform at the end I didn't have a clue what to do. To think of it from a design perspective, I think it's pretty bad. You create a situation in which a player cannot pass until they completed a secondary objective of which they weren't aware. To me it borders on game-breaking. It's not far off from the Castlevania II red crystal. With that it's a translation issue. You would know in the game (if translated properly) that this game contains odd puzzles and you have to decipher real clues from fake. You don't know that this sort of obstacle is expected with Mega Man, so it's a steeper curve to, all of a sudden you can't proceed in an action platformer.

Even the Ghost 'n' Goblins quarter bait trick of beat it twice continues you in the same linear trajectory. You're told to beat the game again.
Espozo wrote:It can't. I really don't see how any thing in life could possibly be "random".
That seems logical. That would also mean your choices are an algorithm. The thought you're about to have is inevitable.
tepples wrote:Unlike an NES game's PRNG, real life has no hidden variables.
I definitely don't have a background in quantum mechanics, but the link seems a little strange to me. Is he saying that there is a "free will" which is separate from the laws of physics? That seems... almost spiritual to me.

nicklausw

Post by nicklausw » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:58 pm

Beating Final Fantasy 4 on DS at all. (What kind of FF game is so hard that it's difficult to beat with level 70-71 characters?)