Back to Windows 7 :(

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Back to Windows 7 :(

Post by Zepper » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:06 am

My PC had Windows 7 premium, and with the upgrade to Windows 10, things were mode "modern", including annoyances. One word - BUGGY. Windows 10 is buggy and suffers with a problem - one day, it'll miss the Edge icon and the Start Menu will stop work, with no reason. Do a System Restoration - works, but the problem will return. I don't overload my PC with shitty, I take care of it. With 2 external HDs, 90% of my personal things are NOT stored in my PC.

The last time I had such problem, the Start Menu stopped to work. On reboot, Windows failed with the error 0xc000021a. From the repair menu, none of the available tools worked - even chkdsk (from command prompt)! So, I tried a lot of ways to repair it with NO success. I had to format my HD to reinstall Windows 7. Final result - a great peace. :lol: :lol:

Too bad that Microsoft has no solution for the missing Start Menu and the error 0xc000021a. In one of their replies in the forums, they suggest to reinstall the OS from zero. ^_^;; My veredict is - do NOT install Windows 10 for now. It won't be longer than a month. :oops: :oops:

Dwedit

Re: Back to Windows 7 :(

Post by Dwedit » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:52 am

I've had some bad experiences with Windows 7, such as Windows Updates that render your PC unbootable. Had to use System Restore to uninstall it, then figure out which update was causing the problem, then blacklist it.

Also slow startups at the very uninformative "welcome" screen, which gives me no idea what it is doing that would take so long.

Haven't had much bullcrap with Windows XP though, aside from total abandonment.

Windows Vista/7 also ships with buggy implementations of OpenGL and DirectDraw, I can reliably get specific bugs to happen, but how the hell do you report actual bugs to Microsoft?
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!

zzo38

Post by zzo38 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:10 am

I had Windows XP, but the computer had a hardware failure, so I got a new computer with Linux, and this Linux is much better than any version of Windows.

Thank you for your notice about Windows 10 though, and now other people can read it too and can tell other people too, in case needing some comments about Windows 10
[url=gopher://zzo38computer.org/].[/url]

lidnariq

Post by lidnariq » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:01 pm

Dwedit wrote:but how the hell do you report actual bugs to Microsoft?
If you specifically have problems with Office or the web services teams, I have friends I can ask.

This doesn't help with OS/drivers issues, though. Also, because it's windows 7, they wouldn't care anymore anyway.
Zepper wrote:Windows 10 is buggy
"Hilarious" thing: Microsoft fired all their on-team QA people, and asked the programmers to start doing their own testing. The programmers who hadn't had to do their own testing for years if not decades due to having on-team QA people. You know, no failure modes.

Dwedit

Post by Dwedit » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:36 pm

Same bug was also carried over to windows 10...
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!

3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:20 am

Switched to Linux, will never go back to that OS for anything, as it isn't needed with Steam on Linux now.

Bregalad

Post by Bregalad » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:27 am

Dwedit wrote: Also slow startups at the very uninformative "welcome" screen, which gives me no idea what it is doing that would take so long.
I have this exact problem on my main desktop PC I'm using right now.

rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:21 am

Dwedit wrote:Also slow startups at the very uninformative "welcome" screen, which gives me no idea what it is doing that would take so long.
1. Start > Run > msconfig
2. Go to "boot" tab
3. Enable "OS boot information" and maybe "boot log" if you'd like it to go to a text file too for later inspection (windows\ntbtlog.txt)

Movax12

Post by Movax12 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:28 am

I just installed Windows 10 and found the install quick and easy and the OS itself to run beautifully. I installed some basic drivers (I think only nvidia video drivers actually) and my computer is running better than ever. There are many different configurations of hardware, so not sure why it doesn't run well for OP. I would be willing to go Linux only, but there are too many games I want to play, plus I want to remain familiar with Windows and its features.