"Real" NES, as opposed to ?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

blargg

Post by blargg »

A hacked version is not the original. FF2 is different than FF2 modified to work on PAL or translated to English (yes, a translation is still a modification). When you play FF2 English, you're not playing the original game. For one, like you say, many translations involve changes to code which often don't work properly on the NES or even many emulators.
dXtr

Post by dXtr »

blargg wrote:A hacked version is not the original. FF2 is different than FF2 modified to work on PAL or translated to English (yes, a translation is still a modification). When you play FF2 English, you're not playing the original game. For one, like you say, many translations involve changes to code which often don't work properly on the NES or even many emulators.
yes this is true.. but I'm almoast 100% sure that people still refer to a translation hacked FF2 as just FF2.
Sorry for misspellings, I'm from Sweden ^^
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

You'll still want to have patched rom of most games that are japaneese only just because you don't undestand a word of japaneese. Some translations break the ROMs, but if you got a decent translation it usually don't, and, it is possible to modify the rom to be fixed. Of couse, burning a cart with this is less "real" than the real cartridge, but more "real" than playing it under an emulator. It is mid-real that way. Thats what I was saying above, play a false game on the real hardware.
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Cool! People felt that "real" was an useless word, and now we have complicated things even more! =D
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

My opinion is that the qualifier REAL is necessary, seeing as many people use emulators instead of a Real NES.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
tepples

Post by tepples »

dXtr wrote:I'm almoast 100% sure that people still refer to a translation hacked FF2 as just FF2.
"FF2" in English refers to a Super NES game, the official translation of FF4-easy.

As for the topic, I tend to say "on hardware", clarifying if necessary whether I'm talking about running something on NES hardware or running something in the PocketNES emulator on GBA hardware.
dXtr

Post by dXtr »

tepples wrote: "FF2" in English refers to a Super NES game, the official translation of FF4-easy.
yes, officially.. but depending on in wich context it is said some might say FF2 and refer to FF2j. just b\c something isn't correct that doesn't mean that people wont do it. like i.e. in swedish "they" is spelled "dem" or "de" depending on context.. but both words is pronounced like "dom" and therefore lots of people seems to write "dom" instead of the correct word.
Sorry for misspellings, I'm from Sweden ^^
blargg

Post by blargg »

Heh tokumaru. What has come out is that there are two issues with real: it is often redundant, and where it isn't, it's vague. "Real NES" might mean "NES hardware, not an emulator" or "genuine NES, not a clone". My original claim that an unqualified "NES" is sufficient has been refuted to some extent by this, since in some contexts it might refer to the architecture (as in when comparing system capabilities), in which case an emulator is just as valid as hardware. So I'll change my recommendation: use a more descriptive qualifier like "hardware" or "genuine" or "architecture" instead of "real", and only if it's not already clear from the context.
tepples

Post by tepples »

blargg wrote:"Real NES" might mean "NES hardware, not an emulator" or "genuine NES, not a clone".
For which I would generally say "on hardware" or "on Nintendo brand hardware", respectively.
So I'll change my recommendation: use a more descriptive qualifier like "hardware" or "genuine" or "architecture" instead of "real", and only if it's not already clear from the context.
That is, until Nintendo starts licensing its back catalog to RealArcade if the Revolution fails.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

FF2 is definitely the NES game on about 90% of cases. Long ago, the FF series was pretty unknown out of japan, so people in states wouldn't care with the numbers. Since FF4 on SNES was released just a year after FF1 on NES in the states, it wouldn't make so strange to call it FF2.
With the advance of the popularity of the series, many people discovered FF2j on NES and FF4 on SNES, that was officially FF2 in the states after the release of FF7, so everyone is calling the games with their real numbers rather than the fake US numbers, exept the few people that had knonw the games before the series become more popular.

Well, if I say "I played this game on my NES", or "I tested this on my NES", it really means the real NES. I cannot see any ambiguation here, so Blargg is right.
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.