It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:17 pm 

I purchased a Super Famicom with an SCART/SCART to HDMI adapter recently. Got the system hooked up, plugged in, worked fine. I used the system for about an hour, had no problems. I turned it on and off multiple times, inserted and removed 3 or 4 games, had no issues with anything. The next day I go to play, and the machine won't turn on. The red power light on the front of the system flicks red for like a fraction of a second, then immediately off. I tried plugging the AC adapter into different outlets and had the same issue.

I live in the US, and I plugged the Japanese AC adapter directly into a surge protector/wall outlet. Is it possible I either fried my adapter or Super Famicom? I purchased another adapter to see if that solves the problem, but seeing as that will take about a week to get here, I figured I would see if anyone else had this issue or had any insight.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:23 pm 

I don't know how helpful this is, but I thought I'd try: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2225.html

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:39 pm 

One of two things has happened:

a) Super Famicom AC adapter has failed,
b) Super Famicom internal power circuitry has failed.

From the description of the problem, it sounds like a capacitor has failed, supported by the fact you briefly see a power LED but then the system powers off (i.e. capacitor cannot hold charge). Which item is responsible for the problem is unknown -- you have a 50/50 chance of figuring out which it is.

AC adapter details are here: viewtopic.php?p=144209#p144209

You can safely use a Super Nintendo (SNES) AC adapter on a Super Famicom. (Note for readers: THIS IS NOT THE CASE WITH THE AMERICAN NES vs. ORIGINAL FAMICOM. DO NOT USE AN AMERICAN NES AC ADAPTER ON A FAMICOM, YOU WILL DAMAGE THE CONSOLE)

If you must use a "generic AC adapter", you need to make sure its output voltage type (DC), voltage (10V), and amperage (at least 850mA) match or are met. You also need to ensure correct polarity (centre-negative).

If replacing the AC adapter doesn't solve the problem, then you know it's the console deck that has the issue.

Good luck, and be sure to let us know which of the two items went bad. This is hardware from the early 90s; it can (and does!) go bad.

P.S. -- You do realise you can use Super Famicom carts on a Super Nintendo (US/NTSC), barring games which have some form of region lock, correct? All you have to do is remove (cut or break off) two hard plastic tabs inside of the cartridge slot in the Super Nintendo.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:07 pm 

As far as I can tell, Super Famicom and Super NES (NTSC U/C) are the same CIC region: type 411. (PAL Super NES carts are type 413.) Break off the tabs in the Game Pak slot and everything from Japan will run, at least until the point where you have to make a decision but can't because it's all in Japanese.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:23 pm 

tepples wrote:
at least until the point where you have to make a decision but can't because it's all in Japanese.

Yeah, because of the lockout chip in the SNES, the game will shut off whenever the game tries to load any Japanese characters.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:25 am 

Yeah, I always like the 'look' of a Super Famicom over an American SNES, which is why I went that route (I no longer have an American SNES).

Like I said, I no issues the first hour or so I used it, turned on and off fine, no funny noises or anything. Next day I try to use it, red power light flicks on, then nothing.

I've read that sometimes the fuses go in these machines, but I imagine if the fuse was blown, the red light wouldn't turn on at all (although what do I know?)

I'm hoping it's just the AC adapter...

If the capacitor is broken inside the SFC, is there a way to fix that?

Thanks again for everyone's input.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:12 pm 

Yes, you could probably desolder the bad cap and replace it with an identical one. The complexity lies in finding which cap (possibly more than one?) is bad. Someone with EE knowledge could probably tell you how to do this. Do you have experience soldering and building/working with electronics? If not, the quicker/easier choice is just to buy another SFC, or just buy a SNES and break the two plastic tabs off.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:39 pm 

koitsu wrote:
You can safely use a Super Nintendo (SNES) AC adapter on a Super Famicom.

Actually, you can't, because the US SNES uses a special snowflake plug on the deck end, instead of the standard connector used by the NES, Genesis, et al. (I think Nintendo only chose this plug to prevent people from using the stupid NES adapter and frying their system.)

For all Famicom and Super Famicom models, you can just use a bog-standard 9v Genesis adapter (or the less-common 10v MK-1602-1 revision if you want the 100% correct voltage). You can even buy or make an adapter for the US SNES and use it with that if you want to. I've been using the same MK-1602-1 adapter with my AV Famicom, NES, SNES, and Genesis for years without problems.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:32 pm 

Thanks for the information. I made the assumption the console connector end was the same between the two consoles.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:14 am 

BMF54123 wrote:
Actually, you can't, because the US SNES uses a special snowflake plug on the deck end, instead of the standard connector used by the NES, Genesis, et al. (I think Nintendo only chose this plug to prevent people from using the stupid NES adapter and frying their system.)

Not 100% sure this is true for all models of the SNES...my (totally fallible) childhood memories seem to recall successfully using an NES adapter with my SNES.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:41 am 

Just an update....
I ordered a Sega Genesis Model 1 adapter on eBay, came in yesterday, plugged it into the Super Famicom and it works. So the unit is fine.
I'm guessing, even though technically you can use the Japanese adapter in a US plug (as I did), it's probably a ticking time bomb in terms of it shorting out, eventually.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:07 am 

If the japanese transformer was intended to run at 100VAC, and you gave it 120VAC, it's going to slowly cook itself. Apparently it took about a day...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:54 pm 

adam_smasher wrote:
Not 100% sure this is true for all models of the SNES...my (totally fallible) childhood memories seem to recall successfully using an NES adapter with my SNES.

Nope. No official US SNES model had a compatible plug, and the NES adapter outputs AC, which is very very bad for a console that needs DC.