It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Stack Overflow
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:46 pm 

I started posting answers today, mostly on the Python tag. I still have a long way to go before my account makes 50.

But on a whim, I looked for a 6502 assembly tag, and it turned out there was one. Then I noticed noticed someone took my init code from the wiki and asked a question about it. I wonder how many other 6502 related questions we could answer. I imagine that the 6502 tag moves slower than the Python tag or especially the Java tag, so there's less of a race to get your answer in first.

So who here posts on Stack Overflow or any of the other Stack Exchange sites?

Post subject: Re: Stack Overflow
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:03 am 

Personally I don't post on Stack Exchange, but I read it a lot. I think it would be more interesting to have a NES (software) specific board, not just 6502.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:05 am 

Same here. I read a lot, I only asked a question once because I really couldn't find the problem by myself, and they weren't of much help. In the end I found the problem on my own, but it was a really hard problem ^^

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:29 am 

thefox wrote:
Personally I don't post on Stack Exchange, but I read it a lot. I think it would be more interesting to have a NES (software) specific board, not just 6502.

There's a C64 tag. Apparently creating a new tag needs 1500 rep, though you can ask in a tag related to the problem rather than the platform until there's a tag for your platform.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:07 am 

I post regularly at StackOverflow, mainly answering Assembly and Android questions, but also reviewing other people's questions (editing them, or voting to close them if they're of really poor quality). Occasionally there are people asking 6502 assembly questions there, but it's mostly x86/ARM/MIPS stuff.

IIRC, creating new tags is discouraged unless there's a good reason for doing so (i.e. there's reason to suspect that it will be used by a significant number of people).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:42 pm 

I read it, I don't post. It's a great repository of problems and solutions.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:33 am 
NESICIDE developer

Imperial wrote:
I read it, I don't post. It's a great repository of problems and solutions.

Yep. If I see a Stack Overflow response in the top ten when googling some problem I always go to that page first. I get *really* annoyed when all that's there is the question and nobody's responded. :evil:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:23 am 

I used to get annoyed when That Hyphen Site (the one that wants people to subscribe to read accepted answers) was on top due to its cloaking practice. That appears to have ended with the rise of SO along with Google's deranking of sites that practice deceptive cloaking.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:52 am 

tepples wrote:
I used to get annoyed when That Hyphen Site (the one that wants people to subscribe to read accepted answers) was on top due to its cloaking practice.

Is that the one that still had the answers in the HTML, which could be seen with a little bit of DOM tinkering?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:23 am 

For a while, ExpertS-exChange had the answers at the bottom. Then it started limiting non-subscribers to five page views per month with answers at the bottom and removing said answers thereafter, much as NYT and several other newspapers have started putting up a metered paywall in order to qualify for first click free status.

I think it's since gone full paywall.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:06 am 

If only there was a 65816 tag.

By the way, I found a debugger in a Super NES game.

Last edited by dougeff on Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:14 am 

See What to do when a language tag doesn't exist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:37 pm 

A buddy of mine pointed out that there's a lot of annoying meta stuff that goes on at stack overflow. For instance, people who get unreasonably upset when the question asker inserts politeness into their post. "Thanks in advance", "Any help would be appreciated", etc.

That and questions being closed for shortsighted reasons (some actually unrelated question was deemed to be "the same" as yours), high-rep people cluttering responses up by arguing with each other over something unrelated to the question, and really unhelpful answers such as in this satire.

So I use it when I come across a problem in C++ and am googling and it comes up, but I don't actually post on there. YMMV.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:00 pm 

Excuse me if it sounds like I have drunk Stack Overflow's Flavor Aid, but:

Drag wrote:
[On the Stack Exchange network,] people who get unreasonably upset when the question asker inserts politeness into their post. "Thanks in advance", "Any help would be appreciated", etc.

Correct. Its culture considers the question to be signal and such pleasantries to be noise.

Quote:
That and questions being closed for shortsighted reasons (some actually unrelated question was deemed to be "the same" as yours)

If your question is duplicated to another question, but its answers do not answer your question, you can edit your question to list other related questions and how your question differs from each. Doing so puts it in a review queue where high-rep users can decide whether it is really a duplicate.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:06 pm 

tepples wrote:
Its culture considers the question to be signal and such pleasantries to be noise.

I guess I can understand the reasoning behind that. People don't answer questions because they want to help one particular individual, but because they want to build a database of answers to common issues that everyone can look up later.