It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:34 am 

I'm trying to program a 29GL128 flash chip, and I cannot for the life of me get it working. Its attached to a Xilinx cpld.

People seem to use things like openocd, using the jtag interface on a cpld or fpga. But it doesn't seem to support my xilinx USB programmer, and it looks like a huge PITA to get configured.

Does anyone here have a reliable and user-friendly method of programming this chip? Buying an actual chip programmer is out of the question, because devices that support this chip are around $4000.

Edit: to add to this, how do things like the Kazzo program its memory? As the kazzo is open source, could it be altered to accept larger memory?

EDIT: Nevermind, got it all figured out now :)

Last edited by getafixx on Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:51 am 

Datasheets usually provide all the commands necessary to erase and program the memory.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:09 am 

I'd like to answer your question(s) but I'm not exactly sure what your trying to do. I'm not familiar with openocd so perhaps that's why I'm confused. Are you having issue programming the flash chip or the CPLD via JTAG? I don't see how the JTAG is relevant to programming the flash chip. What kind of device are you talking about that costs $4k?? What device are you using to flash the chip? Are you writing the code for the programmer and having issues or did you buy some off the shelf programmer that's not working for you..?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:00 pm 

infiniteneslives wrote:
I'd like to answer your question(s) but I'm not exactly sure what your trying to do. I'm not familiar with openocd so perhaps that's why I'm confused. Are you having issue programming the flash chip or the CPLD via JTAG? I don't see how the JTAG is relevant to programming the flash chip. What kind of device are you talking about that costs $4k?? What device are you using to flash the chip? Are you writing the code for the programmer and having issues or did you buy some off the shelf programmer that's not working for you..?

I'm trying to program the flash, not the cpld. I mentioned openocd because apparently you can program an external flash chip using boundary scan, but I've been unsuccessful.

I looked at the Super Pro 5000E, and it goes for about $3500-4000 if you can find it. Currently I don't have a method to program the memory, that's why I'm looking for options.

I'm terrible at software, really. So I was hoping for a fairly out of the box type of option. The flash chip in question is a Spansion 29GL128, TSOP56. I currently have a SuperPro 600p, but it's not compatible with any 56 pin chips, and I can't find memory larger than 64Mbit in a tsop48 package.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:13 pm 

Think I get where you're going now. I've never heard of programming a flash chip like this via JTAG. The datasheet doesn't even have JTAG pins, so what are you even connecting to in attempt to flash the chip via JTAG? Are you connecting a JTAG programmer to the CPLD's JTAG pins and then trying to program the flash chip through the CPLD's pins some how? Possible the chip repurposes some pins to use JTAG via some test mode intended for factory testing the boundary chain I guess, but that doesn't sound like something intended for the end user..

Assuming the unlock commands, and block write commands work identically, AND you have the flash's control pins logically equivalent to my boards you could conceivably program these chips with my/Danin's build of kazzo firmware as-is. I'm willing to share my current build source code, but it's a mess so I only provide it upon request. I'm in the process of a complete rewrite which will hopefully be cleaner and worthy of sharing publicly..

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:37 pm 

Just from glancing at this datasheet, it looks to me like it's normal 16-bit or 8-bit parallel RAM. You may be able to trick a common cheapo programmer like the TL866 to program a lower capacity chip, wire the appropriate A/D/control lines, and use switches to bank the upper address lines. It is more manual work, but it will let you test out the concept.

http://www.issi.com/WW/pdf/29GL128.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:04 am 

mikejmoffitt wrote:
Just from glancing at this datasheet, it looks to me like it's normal 16-bit or 8-bit parallel RAM. You may be able to trick a common cheapo programmer like the TL866 to program a lower capacity chip, wire the appropriate A/D/control lines, and use switches to bank the upper address lines. It is more manual work, but it will let you test out the concept.

http://www.issi.com/WW/pdf/29GL128.pdf

Its actually Spansion not ISSI. I haven't looked through it, not sure there is a large difference.

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/380/S29GL_128S_01GS_00-7051.pdf