James Rolfe's reaction to Ghostbusters trailer creates drama

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

James Rolfe's reaction to Ghostbusters trailer creates drama

Post by Drew Sebastino » Thu May 19, 2016 4:53 pm

Here's the relevant video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz8X2A7wHyQ

And here's a relevant twitter post: https://twitter.com/pattonoswalt/status ... 6982160388

Anyway, James Rolfe (probobloly better known as AVGN) talks about how he isn't going to see the new Ghostbusters movie because he doesn't like what he's seen of the trailer, a comedian named Patton Oswalt made a remark about James's "thick-saliva swallowing" and then people "got back" at him by making derogatory remarks about Patton Oswalt's recently deceased wife. I'm not sure who's side to be on, Patton Oswalt's because of the relatively unwarranted shitstorm he generated, or the trolls for "punishing" him for attacking James for little reason. It's like any old police brutality case: the police officer (the trolls) overreacted, but the criminal did something wrong to begin with (Patton Oswalt criticizing James). It's a mess, but I feel I needed to share it, because believe it or not, people like to share their opinions, but based on some reactions to James's video, I think it might now be a crime.

Oh, and you got to love all the one-sided, clickbate garbage: (it's kind of funny I'm completely going against the theme of James's video by linking this...) https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/entertai ... 982e69.htm

rainwarrior

Re: James Rolfe's reaction to Ghostbusters trailer creates d

Post by rainwarrior » Thu May 19, 2016 6:35 pm

I thought the reaction to it was silly, but I also thought his video was pretty silly to begin with.

"I'm not going to review Ghostbusters... so here's my review even though I haven't seen it."

darryl.revok

Post by darryl.revok » Thu May 19, 2016 7:58 pm

I get the impression that movies are his real passion, and he'd like to have as much of a voice in film fandom as he does for games.

What I felt was essentially the overarching point that he doesn't think it looks good so he won't see it. And I tend to agree that a lot of people won't do the same, or wouldn't without his influence. You'll end up having a lot of people going to see the movie so they can hate it, which in the end makes no difference to the studio, and reinforces producing films which stir up controversy over their treatment of subject matter.

At the same time everybody's in an uproar over this, his concerns about the new Godzilla release have roughly a third of the views on Youtube and they have been up a week. Do more people care about Ghostbusters than Godzilla? Maybe. I don't know. But on one hand, you have somebody saying, "we should do what we can to bring this movie to the US because we may not be able to see it", and people say, "meh", and then "i don't really think this is going to be good so I won't see it" and people say, "WHAT?!"

Personally, I just don't pay a second thought to reboots anyway until I hear something from someone I trust. Like Mad Max. That was good.

Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino » Thu May 19, 2016 8:11 pm

I agree. Both the video and the comment were unwarranted. However, one was a random personal attack while the other wasn't, so I'm on James's side on this one for being the lesser of two evils. (Plus, I'm biased to him, so...)

Really though, saliva swallowing? I didn't even hear anything. If you want an excuse to make fun of him, make fun of his pronunciation of some words.

Fulcon... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz8X2A7wHyQ#t=5m12s

I have to say though, I'm kind of curious as to why anyone seems to be against James in this. I mean, if he called Pixels shit based on the trailer, I don't think anyone would have said anything. It seems pretty universally agreed this movie isn't going to be good (although Sony would have to be hard pressed to beat the aforementioned movie in making a shittier one) based on the trailer, but again, you hear people being the devil's advocate and saying you shouldn't judge a book movie based on its cover trailer. If the sole purpose of a trailer is to show off a movie so you can judge it, but you can't, then how in the world are you supposed to tell if you're interested in seeing the movie or not? This kind of stems of from James and makes me more focused on how strangely people are reacting.

And darryl.revok, you commented while I was writing this post, but I agree wholeheartedly. For whatever reason, this video seemed to kind of explode in popularity. There's an unprecedented number of views for a video of his in this short a time span, and just look at the number of likes in the comments. I even think he got about 20,000 more subscribers since the video came out.

Actually, hell, about people not liking the trailer, it's apparently the most disliked trailer on Youtube, ever. http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/201 ... ed-youtube

And, one last thing, people seem to be thinking that not liking the trailer for whatever reason is synonymous with being sexist. What?

tokumaru

Post by tokumaru » Thu May 19, 2016 8:25 pm

I can understand the lack of desire to (spend money to) go see a movie you don't think is gonna be any good, but saying "I'm never gonna see it" sounds a bit childish. Once the movie is out and gets proper reviews, the mature thing to do would be to reconsider the decision of not seeing it, specially after it's released on DVD/BD/VOD and you can rent/buy/stream/pirate it, even if only to be able to properly criticize the thing, instead of calling it crap without even seeing it.

Making mean comments about the death of someone's dear family members is way out of line though, specially if it's over a silly movie.

EDIT: My personal opinion about the movie is that the biggest mistake was calling it simply "Ghostbusters", I fully agree with James on that point. I do like the original movie a lot, but I'm not a hardcore fan, so I'm not TOO offended by this, but I can imagine how pissed I'd be if a crappy movie (assuming the new Ghostbusters will be crap, which we don't know for sure yet) shared the title of one I really loved. I kinda went through this when "Sonic the Hedgehog" (2006) came out... but not quite, because back then I had already decided to ignore the "modern" Sonic games, since I didn't like the ones I actually played at all.
Last edited by tokumaru on Thu May 19, 2016 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pubby

Post by pubby » Thu May 19, 2016 8:30 pm

rainwarrior wrote: I also thought his video was pretty silly to begin with.
Espozo wrote:I agree. Both the video and the comment were unwarranted.
If he didn't make a video sharing his thoughts he would have gotten an endless supply of people asking him "What do you think of the new Ghostbusters?"

Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino » Thu May 19, 2016 8:34 pm

Yeah, I guess so. Similar to me feeling sorry for Patton Oswalt, I kind of feel sorry for James Rolfe. Granted, I don't feel that sorry for either of them because they both had it coming, but I mean, it wasn't warranted. I'd have to say they're both childish: complaining about a movie you haven't seen, and being desperate enough to get at someone you don't even know by making fun of their non-existent saliva swallowing.

However, what is even more unwarranted than either of these combined is all of the comments about Patton Oswalt's dead wife, and I think everyone can agree with that.
pubby wrote:If he didn't make a video sharing his thoughts he would have gotten an endless supply of people asking him "What do you think of the new Ghostbusters?"
True. I guess it looks more "professional" though if he would have said it after the fact though, but I don't think James is the most professional guy. It's kind of funny that he's now being seen as some big movie critic all of the sudden rather than an entertainer.

tepples

Post by tepples » Thu May 19, 2016 8:58 pm

pubby wrote:If he didn't make a video sharing his thoughts he would have gotten an endless supply of people asking him "What do you think of the new Ghostbusters?"
"The trailer for the new Ghostbusters film did not appeal to me. I may have more to say about that film after it has been released on DVD." Would that have satisfied fans?

Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino » Thu May 19, 2016 9:02 pm

Where would he have said this though? Not in a Youtube comment, because then people wouldn't see it. I guess he just could have made the video about 1 minute, more of an announcement than a review like what he did.

tepples

Post by tepples » Thu May 19, 2016 9:06 pm

:idea: Perhaps he could have made such an announcement listing coming attractions that don't interest him as a side note in a review of a different film.

BioMechanical Dude
Formerly AlienX

Post by BioMechanical Dude » Fri May 20, 2016 5:49 am

I still can't believe this has even happened. James simply made a statement that he's not going to see the film and then all hell broke loose. I think one of the reasons this got so much attention (besides the whole Patton Oswald thing) might be the whole tension between SJWs and people who don't want to see the movie. Because the Ghostbusters are now all female, some people think that not wanting to see the movie would equal to being sexist. This is very stupid, of course, but this is the Internet. Chances are, there will be a bunch of loud, misguided people who would start World War III over something so silly. The problem is that they seem to be so loud by now, some critics may give the movie good reviews, just to avoid flack from SJWs. These things are not limited to just the film industry. There are all these games that get censored or unreleased, simply because someone out there was offended by their content. What happened? People are starting to be afraid to express their opinions about something or to create art however they like, just because they might indirectly offend someone (I understand if their views were hateful towards a certain group of people and they expressed that, but this is not the case here).
Now, I suppose the nature of James' statement helped it get more attention. Nobody just goes on Youtube and says they won't see a movie, but I know everyone was gonna ask him about his thoughts on the new Ghostbusters, so I suppose he had to inform everyone about this. I do agree on most of his points, though. Had they not called this simply "Ghostbusters", it would've been better. I also like his idea of having the new cast, but also having the old cast as their mentors, in order to pass the torch. The movie would've probably worked better that way.
Greetings! I'm That Bio Mechanical Dude and I like creating various stuff like movies, games and of course chiptunes!
You can check out my YouTube Channel.
You can also follow me on Twitter.

Myask

Post by Myask » Fri May 20, 2016 6:55 am

Espozo wrote:clickbate
This is perhaps a funnier, but less correct, spelling.
Espozo wrote:import drama

tepples

Post by tepples » Fri May 20, 2016 7:08 am

It's probably Python.

Code: Select all

from avgn import drama

tokumaru

Post by tokumaru » Fri May 20, 2016 7:15 am

Fortunately, nobody here is directly involved in this drama (i.e. the drama is happening elsewhere, we're just taking about it), so this is not so bad.

Myask

Post by Myask » Fri May 20, 2016 7:52 am

tepples wrote:It's probably Python.

Code: Select all

from avgn import drama
I ought to learn Python one of these days.