NES Cart DB down again

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

zzo38

Re: NES Cart DB down again

Post by zzo38 »

OK, then make it as CSV (although using tabs to separate would probably be better than using commas, I think).
(Free Hero Mesh - FOSS puzzle game engine)
Sik

Post by Sik »

zzo38 wrote:(although using tabs to separate would probably be better than using commas, I think).
Until somebody does something dumb that results in tabs being replaced by spaces =P Although it's feasible I suppose.
tepples

Post by tepples »

My day job involves "plumbing" (data interchange engineering) for a local R/C car shop's online presence. Amazon prefers tab-separated files, while eBay prefers comma-separated. I've noticed three practical differences between the two:
  1. In order to store a value containing the delimiter, you have to quote the value. This involves replacing all instances of " with "" and then surrounding the value with " on each side. Tab-separated files need far fewer fields to be quoted than comma-separated because a comma appears in things like product titles and manufacturer names more often than a tab. Mainland Europe often uses semicolon-separated files so as not to need to quote a decimal comma.
  2. File associations in GUI file managers differ. If the user has a spreadsheet app installed, double-clicking a comma-separated file is more likely to open in the spreadsheet app, while tab-separated files are more likely to open in a text editor. One often has to manually associate .txt with LibreOffice Calc or Microsoft Excel in the "Open With" menu, while .csv gets associated by the spreadsheet app's installer.
  3. But spreadsheet apps use tab-separated data on the clipboard, meaning data in a tab-separated file can be copied and pasted between a text editor and a spreadsheet. This allows, for example, using RDP's clipboard support as crude file transfer.
I've made some of my tools work with both by reading column headings from the first line of the file, counting commas, semicolons, and tabs in that line, and assuming the delimiter is what there are the most of. Then it reads the rest of the file using that delimiter.

As for SQLite, even when it makes incompatible changes to its C API, Python's import sqlite3 somehow seems to paper over these changes.
mimeoNES

Post by mimeoNES »

tepples, yes I can have the results open in a separate page via query string or something. That way you can pull up the results without having to re-do your search. Thanks for the feedback. Will keep you posted on when this update is made.
Myask

Post by Myask »

Being able to search by board name, mapper chip name, and mapper number are the use-cases I tend to have most, not game name. (They're also mostly the ones the wiki uses.)
mimeoNES

Post by mimeoNES »

@tepples, I have changed the results to show on a separate page so you should be able to bookmark and direct link now. After selecting the game from the search page, it will redirect to the new page. For the Wheel of Fortune example:

http://mimeones.com/nescartdbdonorlist? ... bile=false

@Myask, I will add more search options where you can search by any of the fields listed as well.

Thank you for the feedback!
tepples

Post by tepples »

Is there an issue tracker for http://mimeones.com/nescartdb? Should I report issues here, in a new topic, or somewhere else?
mimeoNES

Post by mimeoNES »

tepples wrote:Is there an issue tracker for http://mimeones.com/nescartdb? Should I report issues here, in a new topic, or somewhere else?
Hi @tepples, you can send me a PM or email me at mimeones@gmail.com and I'll be more than happy to take a look. I will also open up a new thread for feature requests, enhancements and bugs.

@Myask, I have added some additional search filters under Advanced Search. The only other field that's left from the database is iNES mapper number. If that is helpful, I can add that too.

Thanks!
FARID

Post by FARID »

Still it is down?
HVC-Man

Post by HVC-Man »

Any updates? There's a NesCartDB-shaped hole in my heart. :(
Ice Man

Post by Ice Man »

Same here, that hole has to be filled again. Hope it's going to be up again and running one day. :(
sk8ersublime

Post by sk8ersublime »

mimeoNES's page is a great alternative and helped me with my first at making a few games. Thanks for doing that mimeoNES!

Looking forward to the return of the old site :)
Ben Boldt

Post by Ben Boldt »

Thanks for telling us about mimeoNES - that's very helpful.

Is there any way that we could get the original nescartdb database in downloadable form? I didn't realize how heavily I rely on it when I am on the hunt for donor carts for various projects. It is really useful to be able to see inside of the carts and how much extra room is inside, and if there is W-RAM present. I have no idea any other way to tell if W-RAM is present, as the iNES header does not accurately provide this information.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Ben Boldt wrote:I have no idea any other way to tell if W-RAM is present
For US releases, you can look up the board names here, and then check the specific page of each board.

Another way to check for the presence of WRAM is to open the game in FCEUX and set up a breakpoint for accesses to $6000-$7FFF, which is the range where WRAM is mapped when present. If the game constantly writes to and reads from that space, its cartridge certainly has WRAM.
Skrybe

Post by Skrybe »

I haven't checked too thoroughly, but archive.org seems to have most of bootgod's DB backed up, save for the most recent uploads. Search doesn't work, though.

Still want the original back, I have stuff to upload!