It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:17 am 

Speaking of cmd.exe, cmder is a pretty decent replacement for it. It's built on top of ConEmu and a couple of other tools, but is preconfigured.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:24 pm 
Site Admin

Bregalad wrote:
Memblers wrote:
On a folder, if you hold shift and right click, it gives you an "open in command prompt" option.
[...]
In the command prompt, typing the name of a file alone will open it with it's associated program.

Both of those are absolutely standard usage of the computer, and I don't see how this can be called a "trick" to any possible extent of the imagination.

Yeah of course the functionality itself is completely standard usage, but in terms of accessing it through the GUI, I didn't think that something like "hold shift and right click" was any kind of standard way of saying "give me the normal menu for right click, but add in a couple extra choices". If it was up to me it would have been in the normal right-click menu, but I suppose someone thought some users would just lose their minds if they saw a feature they didn't understand (oh noes). So at least in my mind, the "trick" is in knowing that these seemingly hidden commands are even there.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:48 am 

You can add into registry the extra options so that you do not have to shift click to open it

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:03 pm 
Site Admin

Necrobumping this thread because I found another little-advertised feature of Windows 7. Remember how that Win7 -> Win10 upgrade was for supposedly a limited time only? Well, I was kinda forced into installing Windows 10 on my new PC, so I entered my Windows 7 product key after installing (had deactivated it from my old PC first), and it activated just fine. So if anyone ends up in a similar situation as me, that does seem to work.

If you're wondering how I was "forced" into it, it's because I decided after 10 years it's time to rebuild my PC. I go to install Windows 7, it's fine until the installer starts, then the keyboard and mouse shut off. Ah, so I guess that's what happens when your OS install disk doesn't support your USB chipset, and your mainboard has no PS/2 port. Apparently you're supposed to basically hack the drivers into the installer, Intel has this like 30-step guide on how to do it. Eventually I just said screw it, I'll see if I can live with 10.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:36 pm 

I think if you installed win10 once during the free period and went back to 7, you can install 10 at anytime since it keeps a record at Microsoft regarding your key.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:31 am 
Site Admin

I forgot to mention that I had declined the upgrade when it was free, I remember all the nagging during that time, was obnoxious. But it looks like as of 2018 at least, they still let you take it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:58 am 

They did officially say that the upgrade to Win 10 was going to remain available indefinitely for anyone who needed assistive technologies...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:07 pm 

I guess I remember that "loophole" but I don't think that he could have used it accidentally in the case for Memblers.

Maybe they are so desperate to reach their 1 billions install thingy that they forgot (on purpose) to deactivate the win7->10 upgrade path? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:01 pm 

I mean, they gain nothing by having people use Win7 or Win8.1 without the full stalker integration going on. At least in Win10 they can "monetize" their "customers" :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:21 pm 

I think the limited offer was just a marketing strategy to trick urge people to upgrade to 10 ASAP so as to boost the number of 10 adopters, regardless of whether they have to pay(again) or not. It is possible that this "offer" was never supposed to expire to begin with.