How does a game know if "The Disc Cannot Be Read"?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

HVC-Man

Re: How does a game know if "The Disc Cannot Be Read"?

Post by HVC-Man » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:31 am

Espozo wrote:and give Ganondorf his own moves that are actually from any Legend of Zelda games, like what this on person has done:
I'm probably alone in this opinion, but as much as I love Legend of Zelda and F-Zero, Ganondorf being a clone of Captain Falcon was an amazingly badass decision for Melee. He is bar none my favorite character in that game. Now for Brawl and 4, where they updated Ganondorf to the slower moving Twilight Princess version, yeah the semi-cloning of Captain Falcon started to lose its camp appeal. He's different enough, but I don't recall TP Ganondorf ever unleashing a Ganon Punch. He's still fun to play as, but Nintendo nerfed him by making him even slower and reducing the ridiculous power of his attacks. The least they could have done was give him some attacks relevant to Twilight Princess.

Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:05 am

I always thought that Ganondorf was a bad deal (who wants 1.5x the power for half the speed!) but this is only made worse in Brawl and Smash 4. (1.2x the power for a third the speed! :lol: )

And yeah, nothing from Twilight Princess is incorporated into his move set, aside from that one taunt...

NYMike

Post by NYMike » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:11 pm

OK here are several before and after pics that I personally buffed out. I have very little experience doing this and as you can see by the pics they came out pretty well. No photoshopping gimmicks or switcheroos here. I did have to change the angles a bit though the overhead lights created quite the glare and interfered with several pics.
Attachments
disc 2 before
disc 2 before
Disc 1 after
Disc 1 after
Disc 1 before
Disc 1 before

NYMike

Post by NYMike » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:12 pm

more before and afters
Attachments
DSC_0025.JPG
DSC_0021.JPG
DSC_0015.JPG

HVC-Man

Post by HVC-Man » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:22 pm

Espozo wrote:I always thought that Ganondorf was a bad deal (who wants 1.5x the power for half the speed!) but this is only made worse in Brawl and Smash 4. (1.2x the power for a third the speed! :lol: )

And yeah, nothing from Twilight Princess is incorporated into his move set, aside from that one taunt...
I must be one of the few decent Melee Ganondorf players then, because I pick him over Captain Falcon any day. Although yes Falcon has excellent speed and juggling capabilities, I find he jumps a bit too high and his speed is difficult to control. What I love about Ganondorf is his short jumps allow for easy air attacks, he's tougher to knock off the stage and his insane power helps make up for his slow speed. By comparison, Bowser and Donkey Kong, despite being heavy and "powerful", aren't that strong. In fact I consider them not much more powerful than the rest of the cast. Ganondorf is the only true heavyweight character in the game. His knockback power is ridiculous.

Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:37 pm

NYMike wrote:OK here are several before and after pics that I personally buffed out. I have very little experience doing this and as you can see by the pics they came out pretty well. No photoshopping gimmicks or switcheroos here. I did have to change the angles a bit though the overhead lights created quite the glare and interfered with several pics.
Wow, that turned out nice! :) (I bet even the GameCube will accept a disc that clean. :lol: ) Yeah, I'll try and get my mother to drive me to the store. I don't actually have my driver's license yet... :lol:
HVC-Man wrote:I pick him over Captain Falcon any day.
I guess we're opposite then. The thing I don't like about Ganondorf is that you're almost depending on your opponents to screw up in that you're on the defensive, while you're on the offensive as the speedy Captain Falcon. It's kind of remarkable how similar Captain Falcon and Ganondorf are, but how different they play. This is just me though, but I never had a problem with controlling Captain Falcon. It really just comes down to what you prefer. The best Pichu player will undoubtedly beat the worst Fox player.

NYMike

Post by NYMike » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:58 pm

Just be careful. Like I said Gamecube discs for whatever reason have a huge failure rate when buffed with a regular pad. If the shop has a Gamecube specific pad that's the way to go. Game Stop sells SB Melee for 54.99, Ebay is around 55ish as well. If you do not want to spend anything don't forget about what I posted about with return policies.

Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:25 pm

NYMike wrote:Game Stop sells SB Melee for 54.99, Ebay is around 55ish as well.
:shock:

pstalcup

Post by pstalcup » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:59 am

Espozo wrote:
NYMike wrote:Game Stop sells SB Melee for 54.99, Ebay is around 55ish as well.
:shock:
Blame competitive melee making a resurgence the past few years. Popularity of the game has almost never been higher, despite it being out for 15 years.

calima

Post by calima » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:45 am

pstalcup wrote:Blame competitive melee making a resurgence the past few years. Popularity of the game has almost never been higher, despite it being out for 15 years.
Jesus I'm old. I did not need that.

HVC-Man

Post by HVC-Man » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:06 am

Actually I'd say the competitive scene and high resale value are a compliment to the creative genius and skill of the teams at Nintendo and HAL. For such an early Gamecube game, with a really short development cycle even if they started right after SSB 64, Melee is an amazing game and a marquee title of the console. I still play it to this day. It's just as responsive, well designed and fun as it was 15 years ago.

Shonumi

Post by Shonumi » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:29 pm

pstalcup wrote: Blame competitive melee making a resurgence the past few years. Popularity of the game has almost never been higher, despite it being out for 15 years.
I remember not buying Melee for the longest time because I could just bum a copy off of my friends, or just go over to their house. I finally bought my own copy around '07 or something like that, was like $32 + tax for Complete-In-Box. Glad I did that while I could :wink:

While Melee is a popular game, and it has seen a resurgence, you can also blame the market for adding even more pressure to prop up the price. Almost everything since 2010 has shifted upward in cost (greater than inflation can account for). There's been a huge resurgence for all kinds of systems from NES to the GC. This "wave" came in, and suddenly "retro" games started lurching up across the board. It hasn't hit Nintendo's portables nearly as hard (Pokemon is an exception, when GO came out, suddenly Red and Blue cart-only are worth $90 a pop instead of $15-$25...) but it's building up.

It's not just Melee that hit the $50+ mark as an average for CIB, though. Off the top of my head, Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, Skies of Arcadia: Legends go for $40-$75 (CIB or Loose). But there are some real "grails" out there like Phantasy Star Online 1&2 and Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (nearing approximately $100+ for Loose or CIB).

So yeah, game collecting can be serious business these days :D

Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:31 pm

Shonumi wrote:game collecting can be serious business these days
It's a pain in the ass, that's what it is. It's turned about as ludicrous as car collecting. I don't plan on selling any of my games, but if I did, I'd be making some serious bucks. About a third of the SNES games I have I got from my cousin for free, and they're all pretty much the popular expensive ones like "DKC3, or Megaman X". I have about 50 SNES games, and because they probably average around $20 at this point (I had it at $15, but then I remembered R-Type III :roll: ) I'd be getting $1,000 for them all. Jesus Christ. That's not even including my NES, N64, or GameCube games, or any of the accessories either. I have to imagine the prices will start to go down at some point. The hipsters can't stay satisfied forever.

Shonumi

Post by Shonumi » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:02 am

Espozo wrote:It's a pain in the ass, that's what it is. It's turned about as ludicrous as car collecting. About a third of the SNES games I have I got from my cousin for free, and they're all pretty much the popular expensive ones like "DKC3, or Megaman X". I have about 50 SNES games, and because they probably average around $20 at this point (I had it at $15, but then I remembered R-Type III :roll: ) I'd be getting $1,000 for them all. Jesus Christ.
The NES and SNES market has basically gone to hell. It's the worst to collect for in my opinion. Prices have jumped across the board higher for those two systems than probably anything else. Makes sense given their popularity and iconic status though, and the fact that there were plenty of genuinely good games available. But someone really took a stick and whacked all the prices.
Espozo wrote:I have to imagine the prices will start to go down at some point. The hipsters can't stay satisfied forever.
I think it's more about nostalgia than hipsters. I guess a lot of the people that created the initial demand around 2010 were 20 and 30 year-olds that suddenly had jobs, and suddenly had money to buy all the games they couldn't get as kids. Back 5-6 years ago, you could pick up tons of things for $5 or $10 easily, but when everyone started buying them, things got "worse" as far as price goes.

A number of people expect this bubble to burst. Prices will either stabilize or they'll fall, in my opinion; they can't go up indefinitely (one hopes at least). Personally, I'm just glad GB and GBA games are relatively sane (again, outside of Pokemon, but I already have all the Pokemon games I want). You can get most stuff easily for $10-$15, and truly "expensive" games like Fire Emblem, Metroid Fusion/Zero Mission barely break the $30 mark for loose. I've gotten pretty much everything I want for my GB and GBA library.