Nesdev.com funding

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

How should I fund a new server

Keep the ads, but make them fit in better
35%
Ditch the ads and accept donations
55%
Neither option (please specify and alternative in a reply to this post)
9%

Total votes: 65

Dwedit

Re: Nesdev.com funding

Post by Dwedit »

So what are we up against here?
Affiliate links to buy the full version of IDA PRO? Ads for cartridge reproduction equipment and parts? Ads for those awful retreaux Steam games?
Or just some bloody KFC ads...

Either way, my Ublock Origin is happy.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
loopy

Post by loopy »

If this is about getting a new server, just do a one time fundraiser and get it done.
I don't have much of an opinion on ads. I didn't even know we had them, I'm always logged in and have an adblocker. Keep them around if they can help out with recurring costs.
Rahsennor

Post by Rahsennor »

It makes no difference to me whether the site has ads or not, since I won't see them in any case. I refuse to pay money (in the form of bandwidth bills from my ISP) to have my privacy invaded, on principle.

I'm perfectly happy to cut out the middleman, though. I've made contributions to every Wikipedia donation drive I've been around for, and I'd do the same here.
Hamtaro126

Post by Hamtaro126 »

Donations are OK, And how about some rewards based on money amount

Starting Reward Suggestions:

$3+: Your username becomes gold-colored!
$5+: NESDEV logo Cup
$10+: NESDEV logo T-shirt
$20+: An NES Homebrew game of your choosing (Must be Homebrew, Example: an Action 53 cart)
AKA SmilyMZX/AtariHacker.
James

Post by James »

WhoaMan wrote: I have been paying the co-location and other fees for the past couple of years and can continue to do so, I have not been able to set any extra aside to put towards a new server.
im not concerned as far as the current costs as I can and will be able to cover them. It is more about trying to get some newer hardware.
How can you not be concerned about (potentially high) recurring costs, but then say you don't have enough money for new hardware? I don't have enough information to say whether or not you'd save money by e.g., hosting at EC2, but my gut says you would... and at least you wouldn't need to buy a server.

Show that you'll be frugal with it, and I'll happily donate.
get nemulator
http://nemulator.com
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Even if people actually donate, I'd still keep the ads. Anyone who is that offended by them will turn on adblock, but will supposedly donate unless they want to be an asshole, so you're still getting money. I can't donate to this website (I don't have a credit card or anything, and my mother will never let me use hers for this) so I'll gladly help this website by "suffering" through some ads. :lol:
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

@Espozo

Get a credit card. Buy a few small things every month. Pay off the bill in full every month. This way you will build a good credit history. Very important when buying a car or house.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

I'm a junior in high school, I don't think I need a credit card quite yet. :lol:
tepples

Post by tepples »

dougeff wrote:@Espozo

Get a credit card.
Assuming Espozo's self-reporting of his age is correct, that'll take four more years. The Credit CARD Act of 2009 bans banks from issuing a credit card to someone under 21 without a co-signer or substantial independent income. And if Espozo's parents are unwilling to let him use theirs, they're probably also unwilling to co-sign for his own.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

The current ads aren't too intrusive and don't upset logged in users, or those with ad blockers, so I don't see them as a huge issue.

Please don't honor Espozo's awful different suggestion of having side ads which slide down, or do any other CSS bullshit to be more prominent. NESDev is one of the last websites I visit regularly that isn't upsetting with regards to advertising.

As Koitsu pointed out, donations can't be relied upon. If members are able to produce and sell homebrew titles, perhaps they can make some donations based on proceedings from them. Obviously that's not going to sustain the site on its own, but it might make a donation feel more approachable to have the source of money come from somewhere other than normal day job wages.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

I block ads anyway, so I don't care about them as long as they're blockable. The net stopped being surfable without an adblocker long ago, in my opinion.

I'd be glad to help funding if it's possible by PayPal - unfortunately that's the only realistic way of sending money I can think of.
Ramsis

Post by Ramsis »

Espozo wrote:I'm a junior in high school, I don't think I
should be talking big here? :wink:

@topic: Keep the ads and accept donations, thanks! :)
Some of my projects:
Furry RPG!
Unofficial SNES PowerPak firmware
(See my GitHub profile for more)
Jedi QuestMaster

Post by Jedi QuestMaster »

M_Tee wrote:Patreon?
Why is this being ignored?
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

mikejmoffitt wrote:side ads which slide down
I never suggested it, I just said I'm not bothered by them. However, I do believe this website needs more ads in some way or another. 24 cents is nothing.
mikejmoffitt wrote:As Koitsu pointed out, donations can't be relied upon.
So what do you want then?
Ramsis wrote:should be talking big here?
What does that mean?
Ramsis wrote:@topic: Keep the ads and accept donations, thanks!
Agreed.
WhoaMan

Post by WhoaMan »

Thanks for all the input. I created a paypal address to be used for nesdev donations ( paypal@nesdev.com ). I will be making a donation page with a ledger or sorts that will contain donation amounts and what it is spent on. I would also like to ask that anyone who donates send a message along with the donation with what name (or username, if you prefer) you would like to be shown on this ledger or if you would prefer to remain anonymous.
i dont have much to say