My FPGA design made the R&D 100 finalist list

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

jwdonal

My FPGA design made the R&D 100 finalist list

Post by jwdonal »

Hello all,

I'm not sure if anyone here cares but a biologically-inspired architecture that I designed (in an Altera FPGA) made it to the R&D 100 Awards (http://www.rd100conference.com/) finalist list for 2016 in 3 different categories: IT/Electrical, Software/Services, and Special Recognition: Market Disruptor. I find out if we win a top 100 spot in early November, but just placing as a finalist in the R&D 100 Awards is a huge deal because it’s an international conference and the design was picked from a huge number of entries. We also have a patent on this technology.

Here's a video link if you're interested (I'm not in the video since I'm just the lowly designer - haha): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eF65aPu_WI

Cya!

Jonathon
ccovell

Re: My FPGA design made the R&D 100 finalist list

Post by ccovell »

Cool stuff!
Myask

Post by Myask »

jwdonal wrote:We also have a patent on this technology.
Pending or granted already? I thought the patent office had like a 3-5 year backlog.

And I'm curious as to the inner workings, which are published in a patent…
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Man, how is this not getting more attention? This sounds insane. It seems that what makes this special from a traditional computer is that its much better at finding and piecing information together? That's one thing that I always thought was lacking about computers, is that if you wanted to look for a certain value in a list of data, you'd need to look through every byte. This is the reason I created a table that lists where in vram the start of each frame is, because otherwise, I'd have to do a check on every vram slot to see where I want to start. (Hey, this is a video game forum after all.) I feel that computing technology has only been able to be as versatile as it is now is because of brute force, like in what I was talking about, you could just check every slot and not put a dent in the cpu time now. I'm still in disbelief that it took until 1996 for a computer to beat someone at chess, but it's only because the computer had to check everything against everything, no matter how illogical it was. Do I get the gist of your device, of did I just go off on a tangent? :lol: I just love the thought of what applications this has, like artificial intelligence or maybe even everyday computing. I know this would take a long while though, because I saw the price and nearly fell out of my seat, (considering the fact that it's handheld size was probably the biggest contributor to this) but because this is so useful and is really only wanted by a niche market at this point, that's perfectly acceptable.