It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:26 am 

In this post, Sumez mentioned having created "a list of timing corrections in PAL NES releases". The PAL 50/60hz Guide lists these games as having the physics tweaked for 50 Hz, not just the music:

• Blue Shadow (aka Shadow of the Ninja)
  • DuckTales (not 2)
  • The Flintstones: The Rescue of Dino and Hoppy
  • The Guardian Legend
  • Kirby's Adventure
  • Little Samson
  • Rygar
  • Shadow Warriors (Ninja Gaiden)
  • Super Mario Bros. (later releases) - See my summary of autoreverse's disassembly
  • Super Mario Bros. 3
  • Tetris - Other changes make the PAL game's speed curve very different
  • Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

But many games' speed remains unconfirmed one way or the other. If you have this information, feel free to contribute

It also doesn't appear to list unlicensed games. I'm under the impression that many Codemasters games adapt to NTSC or PAL NES at runtime to some extent. And at least two of my own homebrew games included in Action 53 carts (RHDE and Thwaite) also adapt to PAL NES, with many tasks run on a 6-frame timer on NTSC and 5-frame timer on PAL. But I couldn't find Micro Machines or other Codemasters, Tengen, or Color Dreams titles I could think of. So before I go hammer the "Add new game" button, I'd like to know about the policy on including or excluding unlicensed games. I can think of a few options, from narrowest scope to widest:

1. Include only games licensed by Nintendo
  2. Include all pre-1997 NES games
  3. Include games produced as a day job, but exclude those that are "made as a hobby and usually don't have a full-time development team behind them" (per the policy of BootlegGames Wiki)
  4. Include all games sold to the public on cartridge

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:16 am 

I don't really know of any unlicensed releases in Europe, not counting pirate carts. I know there are surely some, but it was much bigger in America and Asia, and these kinds of releases typically only have one ROM version as far as I know/expect. I think it was probably a lot more difficult to distribute unlicensed games in Europe, unless we're talking pirate markets.

One thing I didn't think of though was games that try to detect the PPU timing and adjust to that, I didn't realise there were games from "back in the days" that did that. It's definitely worth noting if any of those were released in Europe!
The list is open for anyone to add to - I just personally added the games I thought would be the most popular, intending it primarily as a checklist when buying games to see whether I should avoid the PAL releases completely ;) But the more complete it can get, the better.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:18 am 

Cosmic Spacehead's platforming segments run at 100hz on PAL rather than 60Hz on NTSC.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:56 am 

Just like I say in the other thread, it's extremely hard to prove that a game's timing has not been touched and is 100% exact to the NTSC equivalent. It's much easier to prove that the timing has been adapted (successfully or not) to PAL in some places.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:49 pm 

Sumez wrote:
I don't really know of any unlicensed releases in Europe, not counting pirate carts.

Australia had Home Entertainment Suppliers. After experimenting with "piggyback" games, which had their own PRG and CHR and a receptacle for the game whose CIC would be used, HES sold a T-connector called the Unidaptor, which routed CIC signals to one 72-pin "key" receptacle and PRG and CHR signals to two "game" receptacles (72 and 60 pins).

Quote:
The list is open for anyone to add to - I just personally added the games I thought would be the most popular, intending it primarily as a checklist when buying games to see whether I should avoid the PAL releases completely ;) But the more complete it can get, the better.

I didn't see a field for box art. Is that something you plan to do after another user adds a game? And how would a multicart be rated if some games are adapted and others aren't?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:25 am 

Yeah I'm adding box art subsequently, to ensure they appear similarly. It's just for reference anyway.

Haven't thought about multicarts. There aren't too many official ones anyway. I'm guessing it would warrant a special comment.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:06 am 

Hi, looking for a list of adapted, not adapted PAL games for the NES came by your list. I added some titles which I have in PAL, haven't had the chance yet to play them in my NTSC NES though, as it's not "region free" as yet.

I noticed that there are some duplicates in the list, honestly I'm afraid that for one of those duplicates I take all the credit.

I was wondering, did you test the actual carts side by side in the consoles, or used ROMs in an emulator. Also do you tell from memory what remains 60 hz what's been optimized or you have a way of measuring it. In the summer when I get more free I'm hoping to do some decent contribution to the list, so want to make sure I follow the same methodology and criteria.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:44 pm 

Sumez wrote:
I don't really know of any unlicensed releases in Europe, not counting pirate carts. I know there are surely some, but it was much bigger in America and Asia, and these kinds of releases typically only have one ROM version as far as I know/expect. I think it was probably a lot more difficult to distribute unlicensed games in Europe, unless we're talking pirate markets.

One thing I didn't think of though was games that try to detect the PPU timing and adjust to that, I didn't realise there were games from "back in the days" that did that. It's definitely worth noting if any of those were released in Europe!

In Spain there were the Gluk video games :)