It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:49 am 

NYMike wrote:
Weird. All I know is Best Buy sells it as a "tv". Lets hope that tv/display/monitor ect does not become an interchangeable phrase. I get the feeling that will destroy classic gaming abilities very quickly.

RF is barely a requirement for enjoying classic games. Other than the very oldest consoles that only support coaxial RF, I would never choose an RF connection.

Hooking up old consoles with higher quality (S-video, component, RGB, even HDMI) inputs is getting easier and cheaper every year.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:59 pm 

I don't know what to say. I could plug a NES/SNES/N64 into my 1080p 50 inch Vizio television without issue but this new 70" Vizio 4k does nothing. I even bought the $50 hdmi converter box and the picture jitters. Worse on certain games/sections the picture would just just out for 2-3 seconds. This makes games like Super Mario unplayable. According to Best Buy/Geek Squad/Vizio some of the newer screens like this do not support the 240p at all.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:00 pm 

You need a good upscaler. The XRGB Mini/Framemeister is a popular one. Yes it will cost you between $400 and $500 probably but it's a scaler designed for these older systems. Newer TVs mostly don't bother with any analog video connections anymore because all the modern devices pretty much use HDMI now. So a separate unit like the XRGB can be used to deal with that since the TV itself doesn't support it. Even for older TVs that did have analog video support often had poor analog video support which again makes a separate scaler useful.

If you want to use original hardware your options are keeping CRTs around to play them, keeping a decent HDTV around that supports analog video connections to your standard, or getting a separate video scaler unit to hookup to any modern display. Depending on where you live you can possibly get CRT TVs for extremely cheap due to consumers no longer wanting them. You could get a lifetime supply of them. ;) But if you bought a huge TV you probably want to use it so you should get a scaler like the XRGB.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:55 am 

It's sad really how eventually every CRT will be broken with no way to fix it. Kind of like the CD-I and it's poor design choice to put the battery inside of the RAM chip. Thank god we have emulators.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:44 am 

DementedPurple wrote:
It's sad really how eventually every CRT will be broken with no way to fix it. Kind of like the CD-I and it's poor design choice to put the battery inside of the RAM chip. Thank god we have emulators.

If you keep a CRT around and don't use it, and don't physically damage it, it isn't going to just break on its own.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:59 pm 

DementedPurple wrote:

This is no different than any other item mankind has ever made. CRTs can last a very long time. They can be repaired. More importantly they could be manufactured again in the future. But until then you can collect some good CRTs and store them well and they should last. You might have to repair them at some point but you can get a lot of life out of them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:56 pm 

mikejmoffitt wrote:
If you keep a CRT around and don't use it

Things you never use do stop working sometimes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:58 pm 

MottZilla wrote:
CRTs can last a very long time. They can be repaired.

Not if the TV repair shops in your city no longer carry the parts. This has happened to me.

MottZilla wrote:
More importantly they could be manufactured again in the future.

I don't see how, at least until RoHS and foreign counterparts are repealed. Restrictions on manufacture of products containing the element lead (Pb) pose a serious problem for manufacturers of display devices using leaded glass.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:00 pm 

tokumaru wrote:
mikejmoffitt wrote:
If you keep a CRT around and don't use it

With electronics it's usually just the capacitors that don't age well with disuse. Easy enough to replace.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:02 pm 

MottZilla wrote:
CRTs can last a very long time.

Totally agree with that!!
My parents have a CRT that is almost as old as me!!

One suggestion is to try to find a good CRT technician and ask if you can help him on the repairs for free.
This is how I learned the basics about electronics, I was about 14 back in the day.
That made learning electronics and building my "frankensteins" a little bit easier.

tokumaru wrote:

I also have seem this! Specially with some VCRs and CD/DVD players.
Basically things that have mobile parts and belts on them.
How can it be explained?
Bad storage, maybe??

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:30 pm 

Electrolythic capacitors need to be used to last. If they stay without use they go bad and have to be reformed, which depending on where the cap is in the circuit can happen on the first power on, but that's not guaranteed to be the case.
CRT itself is not gonna go bad, unless the vacuum somehow gets lost. Cathodes will wear but that takes some 30000 hours to have significant effect, and on TVs with cathode calibration the tube can be used all the way until complete end of life without significant image degradation (some 50k hours). After the end of life period you can boost filament current to squeeze a few more thousand hours out the thing. At that point there will be severe tinting going on during warmup period and brightness will be poor.
Also settings drift over time, you will want to adjust the acceleration (G2) and focus voltages in your CRTs by now, you'll be surprised how much better the image can become by doing so.

In case of DVD players and other semi mechanical things, the rubber parts can go bad. Belts often turn into a nasty goo that stains everything and is really difficult to clean off.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:27 pm 

If you enjoy CRTs and want them to last, you really have to become your own CRT technician or find a sucker friend to fix them for you. But to be honest, if the tube and flyback are good, the maintenance isn't really anything so complicated.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:03 am 

TmEE wrote:
Electrolythic capacitors need to be used to last

Interesting! I didn't know that. Thanks!!
mikejmoffitt wrote:
you really have to become your own CRT technician

That's one of the things I'm trying to do.
Unfortunatelly my knowledge is very basic, but I'm trying to learn little by little not forgetting the safety.