It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:21 am 

NYMike wrote:
Eventually I guess I will have to pick up a system like the Retron 5 or give up and stop using cartridges and just go emulation.

The Retron 5 IS emulation, it just dumps your cartridges every time you play. Between emulation and emulation, I'd rather go with the Raspberry Pi, which supports more systems and loads ROM files directly.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:16 am 

I got myself a pretty new LG 55" 4K tv and my NES & Famicom AV works fine using the RCA-connectors so I guess I'm lucky.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:23 am 

4k resolution is technically useless, because the human eye cannot see any difference with a 1080p resolution. In order to see the difference, you'd need a televisor which is something like 6 meters wide. It is something purely commerical. It'd be the same thing as recording sound at 88200 Hz instead of 44100Hz for instance.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:48 am 

Bregalad wrote:
It'd be the same thing as recording sound at 88200 Hz instead of 44100Hz for instance.

People are using 96KHz or something these days though, aren't they?

I just went 1080p a couple of years ago, I'm not going 4k any time soon. Too little content for to much money, IMO. Waiting solves both of these problems, actually. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:39 am 

It also depends on seating distance.

My desktop PC monitor at work has 1920×1080 pixels and 24" (60 cm) diagonal visible image size. This 24" represents √(1920²+1080²) = 2203 pixels, for a pixel density of about 92 dpi.

An eye or camera works based on projected images, and these enter not as inches but as angles. The angle unit that makes most formulas simplest is the radian. One radian of arc length has the same length as the radius, or the distance from the center to a tangent point. So with the conventional arm's length of 28" (70 cm), we have 2203/24*28 = 2570 pixels per radian.

But an eye rated 20/20 can resolve details down to 1/60 degree, where a degree is π/180 = 1/57.3 of a radian. So we'd 180×60÷π = 3438 pixels per radian to saturate the detail that the retina can perceive, plus a bit more margin to account for occasionally leaning forward.

The difference is that a desktop PC user usually sits closer to the monitor than a living room TV user sits to the TV. This makes 1080p adequate in theory on a TV at a typical living room viewing distance.

Some of the purported advantages of 4K are related to intentional degradation of 1080p video to cut costs. Many providers of streaming 1080p digital video, whether over cable TV, satellite TV, or the Internet, compress the video at a bitrate that loses detail. In particular, common video codecs downsample chroma at 4:2:0 by default, reducing pixels in U and V channels horizontally and vertically by a factor of 2. This causes edges of red or blue objects to become blurry. They compress 4K at a higher bitrate, but then 4:2:0 downsampled chroma at 4K is still 1920x1080, and the compression applied to luma is lighter as well. So if a provider is overcompressing its 1080p stream, its 4K stream will still look better even through a 1080p monitor.

The 96 kHz rate is the native rate of many sound cards' DACs. This allows easy software upsampling of 48 kHz DVD audio, be it on the host PC or on the card's DSP. Digital upsampling before the DAC means the low-pass filter in the analog stage doesn't have to use expensive components to achieve steep rolloff. Long ago, CD players made by Philips used to upsample by 4x (called "oversampling" back then) as a cost-saving measure. This let them get away with using 14-bit DACs, which could be made more cheaply at the time than 16-bit ones, and cheaper analog filtering.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:48 am 

I have a 47" 4K Vizio from 2014, and it refuses to recognize any 240p inputs from a composite or RF video source. However, if I fire up games that use an interlaced mode like RPM racing for the SNES, they will display. Actually I can get the TV to display 240p if I do not connect the ground portion of the cable connector, but the connection is very unstable and the display is extremely noisy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:44 pm 

I have no idea why or how this is even possible... However here goes: Vizio in their quest to cut down on costs removed the coax plug from this model tv and seem to think this is a good idea. Classic gamers and even the average person with coax cable might think differently. I decided to buy a coax to HDMI converter box and somehow it fixed my problems. I have no idea how or why, but games now play 98% properly. Only a few games now have noticeable pulsing. I plugged this device into HDMI 4 port and have the RCA to HMDI converter to HDMI 3. Again no clue how, but it seems like the Coax converter manually adjusted a setting somewhere and now works much better.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:47 pm 

NYMike wrote:
I have no idea why or how this is even possible... However here goes: Vizio in their quest to cut down on costs removed the coax plug from this model tv

Which model is this "70" Vizio 4k television", so I can read the published specs and guess an answer to the support question "Where do I plug in the antenna?"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:38 pm 

Should be this one I purchased from Best Buy. If its really needed, I can dig out the receipt and double check but at a quick visual glance, it looks right.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-70-cl ... Id=5609000

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:50 pm 

As I suspected. From the page: "TV tuner is required and sold separately if you use an external antenna for broadcast TV signals." The product title on that page is also "Display", despite Best Buy mistakenly listing it in its "TVs" category.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:55 pm 

Weird. All I know is Best Buy sells it as a "tv". Lets hope that tv/display/monitor ect does not become an interchangeable phrase. I get the feeling that will destroy classic gaming abilities very quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:27 pm 

NYMike wrote:
Weird. All I know is Best Buy sells it as a "tv". Lets hope that tv/display/monitor ect does not become an interchangeable phrase. I get the feeling that will destroy classic gaming abilities very quickly.

It's interchangeable as long as you are only talking about the HDMI connection. Most "TV"'s are TN panels unless they explicitly say they support rec.2020 . The panels are the same parts that go into the TV's and Monitors. The only thing that "TV"'s have that monitors do not is an analog/digital TV tuner.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:57 pm 

I finally broke down and bought a Retron 5. Got crazy lucky (imo). Local Game Stop had one in their district so I asked them to get it shipped to the store. $139.99 + tax brand new 1 year warranty. I have been hoarded Power Up Pro points for a year or two though so I got to use a $50, $25, $15, $10, $5, and another misc $5 off coupon to get it for a meager $32.12. Not too shabby if you ask me. So far I am pretty impressed. It plays SNES games Super Famicom games I tossed in NA shells and even some repros/homebrews/rom hacks. The filters this thing has built in are amazing. On top of that having save states are quite impressive. Going into a HDMI cord blows using a rca to hdmi converter out of the water (cheaper $50 one from Radio Shack).

The bad news? Either a bunch of my INL.com boards either lost their saves or this thing killed their batteries. The carts are only 2-3 years old I am surprised that this many batteries would be bad already (3-5 games). Also some of the rom hacks I have personally made work fine on a SNES/Top loader, and Retro Duo Portable trip errors and will not play at all in the Retron 5. Either way, I am going to fool around a bit more and I will let you guys know how this ends up. I am assuming header issues or checksum errors ect are the culprit.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:01 pm 

RetroN 5 dumps a game to determine how to emulate it. For Super NES, Genesis, and Game Boy, the internal header should tell all. (This is at $0134-$014F for Game Boy, $00FFB0-$00FFDF for Super NES, or $000100-$0001FF for Genesis.) But not all ROM hacks have valid headers. And NES games weren't required to have a header unless released for the Famicom Box. This means it has to dump the fixed bank first and then compare it against known games to know what mapper to emulate.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:24 am 

My Vizio 4K TV doesn't recognize my NES either :( I'll have to buy an adapter sometime soon...