It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:57 am 

How many Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles games were released for NES and Super NES? Four and two.

• NES got TMNT, TMNT II: The Arcade Game (arcade port), The Manhattan Project, and Tournament Fighters.
  • Super NES got Turtles in Time (another arcade port) and Tournament Fighters.

How many not counting Tournament Fighters? Still four and two. Metroid and Super Metroid are TMNT sequels, and Jason Bowers has proof.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:48 am 

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing - very cool.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:18 am 

No it's not awesome: the theory's garbage, the article is fanwank garbage, and I certainly hope Tepples had set up a grand joke (way back in July.)

Metroid was released in 1986. Krang made his first appearance in TMNT (TV & Comics) in 1987 and 1988 respectively. No way TMNT inspired the creation of Mother Brain from at least a year earlier.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:05 am 

ccovell wrote:
No it's not awesome: the theory's garbage, the article is fanwank garbage, and I certainly hope Tepples had set up a grand joke (way back in July.)

Metroid was released in 1986. Krang made his first appearance in TMNT (TV & Comics) in 1987 and 1988 respectively. No way TMNT inspired the creation of Mother Brain from at least a year earlier.

The theory is garbage by the historical development timeline of the two series, but it is clearly not meant to be taken seriously. This is being published in Cracked, after all.

However, it is theoretically possible that TMNT may have had an influence on the main villain in Metroid. Krang's inspiration, the Utroms, were featured in the TMNT comic book as early as issue #3 in March, 1985. It is conceivable that one of the Japanese developers who worked on Metroid could have read an early TMNT comic book and used it as an influence. But it is really an extremely remote possibility given that TMNT was just becoming a successful book in the US.

More likely, if there was an influence to be had, it probably would have been from more established science fiction like Star Trek and Doctor Who. The TOS series episode "The Gamesters of Triskelion" from 1968 had the Enterprise crew captured by omniscient beings known as The Providers to fight in gladiatorial games. The Providers turn out to be disembodied brains sustained by machinery. Doctor Who had also done something similar in "The Brain of Morbius" from 1976, where the renegade Time Lord Morbius' brain is enclosed in a jar and sustained by machinery. A doctor plans to transplant Morbius' brain into the Doctor or, when that fails, a repulsive Frankenstein-monster like creature built from many species.

These are but two examples which come to mind, but the disembodied brain trope had been long established by the time Nintendo produced Metroid.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:54 pm 

ccovell wrote:

Bulldoggamer was probably a spambot, there's no use replying to him.

Last edited by Bregalad on Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:58 pm 

Does this fan theory include an explanation why Krang is just a relatively small brain while Mother Brain is taller than a human?

Gameplay: https://youtu.be/Eee0yurkIW4
German Retro Gamer article: http://i67.tinypic.com/345o108.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:00 pm 

Bregalad wrote:
Bulldoggamer was probably a spambot, there's no use replying to him.

I think Bulldoggamer is just a lurker, not a bot. They have 3 other posts which all seem plausibly genuine to me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:07 pm 

Well you appear to be right. I excuse my paranoia, for me all posts by new users which are extremely generic are fishy, but it seems I was just overly paranoid this time.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:09 pm 

Yeah, I know it was a piece on Cracked, "America's humorest funny website." I'm just baffled in the first place why Tepples would bring it up as a viable theory, and then proceed down the rabbit hole on that one...

Thank god his post was short, anyway. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:33 pm 

Real person, mostly a lurker. I did think the article was funny - I'm sure others see the humor in it, trolling aside.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:34 pm 

Bulldoggamer wrote:
Real person, mostly a lurker. I did think the article was funny - I'm sure others see the humor in it, trolling aside.

Once again, I sincerly apologize to have called you a spambot. I was just paranoid because of an other spammer creating accounts and posting things that made sense recently. Thus, a post saying just "this is awesome" without any more info by an user with less than 10 post seemed fishy to me. I am sorry, and I hope I didn't disgust you from Nesdev. :?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:17 pm 

Na, not at all :-)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:29 pm 

ccovell wrote:
No it's not awesome: the theory's garbage, the article is fanwank garbage

Did you mean that the article is garbage even for fanwank, or did you mean that all fanwank is garbage?

Quote:

I thought we all learned from Star Wars, Metal Gear Solid, and The Legend of Zelda that prequels exist.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:57 am 

tepples wrote:
ccovell wrote:
No it's not awesome: the theory's garbage, the article is fanwank garbage

Did you mean that the article is garbage even for fanwank, or did you mean that all fanwank is garbage?

For a Cracked article, it's garbage; for fanwank, it's par for the course.

It doesn't read as humour; it reads as an embryonic conspiracy theory that has missed the point.