It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:52 am 

Link to the English Site

Found this out on Twitter, Sunsoft is collaborating with Inti-Creates for a new Blaster Master game on the 3DS called "Blaster Master Zero", As a fan, I must spread the word, as this may be considered something nice to try for 2017

Now, The last game (the one on the Wii) was dull, and not that great, but I hope that it's 99% better than that one!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:21 pm 

There hasn't been a decent Blaster Master game since the original. Those screenshots certainly show some promise, though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:43 pm 

I gathered that this is a remake of the original NES game.

I was a little bit disappointed that they don't seem to be using the same story as the NES version, though. (Boy has a pet frog. Frog escapes and jumps into radioactive waste conveniently placed in the backyard. Mutated frog jumps into a hole. Boy follows, finds a battle tank, and goes after the frog. Classic.)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:12 pm 

@thefox

I guess this is because the original japanese version didn't have that part, the frog story is something they made for the localized version for the west. Inti-create is a Japanese company making a game for the Japanese market so here people are not aware of that part.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:56 pm 

Unfortunately as the series did much better internationally it's called Blaster Master Zero even in Japan (I think the previous sequels were also called BM everywhere to appeal to western players), which is SAD.

IMO the frog thing (which I only learned of a few years ago) was just really stupid. Maybe it's this over-the-top nonsense that attracted people in the first place.

From the screenshots, that you start from a cave instead of the hanger, means that it's probably based on the internationally version though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:38 pm 

Wow, Sunsoft still exists? :O

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:25 pm 

For some reason, the overhead view sections look like Binding of Isaac.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:44 am 

To be fair, they did in the first Blaster Master.

Too bad this series has been followed by bad releases ever since the first game. There are a LOT of Blaster Master games, but a lot of people probably don't even realise that because most of them suck, and people don't talk about them :D

Wasn't the pretense of the Wii game also that it was a "remake"?

As for Inti Creates, I'm not sure I trust them anymore. But I'm glad to see Sunsoft are still honoring their classic IPs. It's heart warming similar to Natsume going back and expanding Wild Guns for a modern release.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:05 am 

Banshaku wrote:
@thefox

I guess this is because the original japanese version didn't have that part, the frog story is something they made for the localized version for the west. Inti-create is a Japanese company making a game for the Japanese market so here people are not aware of that part.

Yeah, I actually knew that. I was being facetious with the comment, really. Then again, it would have been funny if they expanded that dumb story line.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:32 am 

Sumez wrote:
Too bad this series has been followed by bad releases ever since the first game. There are a LOT of Blaster Master games, but a lot of people probably don't even realise that because most of them suck, and people don't talk about them :D

I never realized there were other Blaster Master games than the NES ones, exept for a Sega MegaDrive version I've heard about and that sounded lame anyway.

To be honnest, if you ignore the great soundtrack, the original NES Blaster Master isn't really that good. The gameplay is mediocre, and the boss sucks hard. It was made by the same people who did Fester's Quest after all.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:46 am 

Bregalad wrote:
To be honnest, if you ignore the great soundtrack, the original NES Blaster Master isn't really that good.

Everyone has their own opinion. I think the controls were solid, the graphics were good even if you don't take NES limitations into account (and quite impressive if you do), the levels were a ton of fun to explore, and, of course, the music. Really, the only thing I could think to criticize is the fact that the game is "NES hard", and even then, some people enjoy that. At the very least I can forgive it given how good the game is otherwise. I doubt most fans would agree that the game stands on the music alone. As long as they can spiff it up without spoiling or misunderstanding what made the original great, I'd buy the hell out of it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:06 pm 

I always thought the side scrolling part of Blaster Master was really well put together, and was very impressed by the huge world. Unfortunately, without a save feature I found it far too large to sustain my interest for a single playthrough, so I never got very far.

Unless you know where to go already, it takes a very long time to explore each new area, and especially since late game stuff requires you to backtrack all the way to early game areas and explore them again, it's quite a task.

The overhead parts I never really cared for. Aside from the bosses nothing interesting happens there. They kind of space out the rhythm of the action, at least, but I would much rather have fought bosses in the side scrolling mode.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:10 pm 

Yeah, the side scrolling parts are decent, 1st level is great, but 2nd level is very annoying with all those hard jumps and those snugs you cannot hit. Other levels I don't remember because I only made it using save states long ago. The inability to shoot diagonally is particularly frustrating.

The overhead parts were very mediocre, especially the boss battles which are downright horrible.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:05 am 

thefox wrote:
Then again, it would have been funny if they expanded that dumb story line.

You're in luck!

http://inticreates.com/blaster-master-zero-3ds/
Quote:
Enter a young man named Jason Frudnick, a genius in the field of robotic engineering. One day, he came upon a creature he had never seen before. No records of this creature existed, so with his interest in this mysterious creature piqued, Jason named it “Fred” and began to observe it closely. But, after some time had passed it found a way to escape.

Jason gave chase, and before he knew it he had stumbled into the subterranean world where humanity once resided. A large vehicle awaited him there.

Almost as if this vehicle with the name “SOPHIA 3rd” on the side was inviting him in, the door the cockpit opened up. In order to bring Fred back, Jason hopped into SOPHIA 3rd and set out on his adventure.

Bregalad wrote:
To be honnest, if you ignore the great soundtrack, the original NES Blaster Master isn't really that good. The gameplay is mediocre, and the boss sucks hard. It was made by the same people who did Fester's Quest after all.

Not a huge fan either, but the concept had a lot of potential, and the open world combined with the vehicle was a really cool idea.
What makes you think the same people made Fester's Quest, though? I'm 90% sure it's not, save from the composer who was one of the talented stock SunSoft guys.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:06 am 

Sumez wrote:
What makes you think the same people made Fester's Quest, though? I'm 90% sure it's not, save from the composer who was one of the talented stock SunSoft guys.

Blaster Master / Chou Wakusei Senki MetaFight was a joint effort development by Tokai Engineering (same company did Journey to Silius / Rough World) and Sunsoft. The programmers were Kenji SADA (a.k.a. SENTA) and Kenji KAJITA (a.k.a. KANZ) -- which (or both) of them was a member of Tokai Engineering, I'm not sure. Naoki KODAKA was the composer/musician -- and did the music independently (i.e. was not a Sunsoft employee) (he also did the music to Journey to Silius, alongside Nobuyuki HARA and Shinichi SEYA). No idea which of the 3 (SADA, KAJITA, KODAKA) were responsible for the music engine -- it has a fairly unique/trademark sound that's common across several Sunsoft titles. The designer of the game was Yoshiaki IWATA (a.k.a. FANKY), who has been fairly public about its plot/design/etc. since ~2009 or so (there are several interviews with him, just Google).

Fester's Quest was released to the US market in September 1989. Blaster Master was released to the US market in November 1988 (roughly a year earlier); the Japanese release, Chou Wakusei Senki MetaFight was issued June 1988. That said, this should put an end to this debate definitively:

It was speculated for some time, especially within the glitch and TAS communities, that Fester's Quest used some kind of modified or tweaked Blaster Master engine (specifically the overhead parts) -- or bare minimum, was highly influenced by Blaster Master. It feels way too similar, including the boss interactions. In late 2014, an interview was done with Richard Robbins (Sunsoft USA), producer of Fester's Quest (and supposedly uncredited for character design in Blaster Master), who had the following to say:

Quote:
Q: Many have pointed out how Fester's Quest feels a lot like the overhead-view sections in Blaster Master. In a 2011 interview, Blaster Master creator Yoshiaki Iwata says that "The character designer for Blaster Master was also one of the main designers on Fester’s Quest, which probably explains some of the similarities there." Do you think that's the case, or do the two games share deeper roots?

Robbins: Same team developed both in the same lab.

In other words: Tokai Engineering was certainly involved in Fester's Quest. Sadly the game has no credits -- not too surprising, as many Japanese companies at the time didn't really allow for employees or subsidiaries to "get credit" for their work within the game itself -- so all we can go off of is that statement.

I feel like a damn gaming historian. You're welcome. :-)