It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:45 am 

Drag wrote:
You also have to consider when people actually play their phone games. It's usually during spontaneous bouts of downtime, like waiting for the bus, or trying to ignore people. The games need to be simple and need to be easily jumped into and jumped out of, and usually there's no real depth to them

How does that differ from Nintendo 3DS?

Quote:
How do you make mobile games without microtransactions and stay in business? Simple, move out of mobile and go to console or PC.

PCs aren't handheld. Until very recently, handheld consoles sold in North American stores weren't very open to small home-based businesses. So smaller developers receiving a letter of rejection from Nintendo have had to settle for mobile. It led to a situation like this:

• Android: Buy now on Google Play Store
  • iPhone: Buy now on the App Store
  • Nintendo 3DS: We are seeking a publisher to bring our game to this platform. If you are a licensed publisher, contact us.

This began to change in July 2016 when Nintendo revamped its developer application process.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:27 pm 

If you own a Nintendo 3DS and you carry it with you, then you're probably willing to spend more than $5 (average) on a video game. Mobile implies casual gamer, and handheld implies being a step beyond casual since you bought specifically a video game playing device where the games aren't commonly $5 unless you go virtual console. Also, physical buttons. The two markets are different.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:30 pm 

So I downloaded this super-cute pixelated game recently on my phone. I'm expecting a standard NES style platform experience.

I get to level 3, and the little sign in the level (up till now, a helpful advice on how the controls work)...says "give us a rating in the Play Store and we'll give you 50 coins." No thanks. I get to level 5, and there's a little NPC. Oh, it's a store. And you buy game items with real money.

Funny, I don't remember Mario ever asking me for $1 for a 1-up mushroom.

Honestly, this ruined the game for me. I have no interest in playing it anymore. And, I'm a little sad about it.

Can't we just have a nice game, that you just play? No ads, no micro-transactions, no BS.

?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:30 am 

Why don't you rate the game badly and say it sucks because of microtransactions?

Then use the 50 coins. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:32 am 
Formerly WheelInventor

Quote:
Can't we just have a nice game, that you just play? No ads, no micro-transactions, no BS.

Some mobile games goes to market on that premise, they're just in the grave minority, and it's still not a guarantee for a good game.

There was this Heroes of might and magic clone i played for a few scenarios until i came to the conclusion that it was completely unbalanced to the players' advantage once a few rounds had passed, and the challenge was mererly finding the right spots on the map to go to in the right order, something that sometimes felt more like "where's waldo".

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:40 am 

I'm sure not all mobile games are scams, but the 99.5% that are sure do ruin the playground for the 0.5% that aren't. High profile curated marketplaces would be great.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:39 am 

Sumez wrote:
High profile curated marketplaces would be great.

I think that's what PlayStation Store on PlayStation Vita was supposed to be for.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:59 am 

At least "scam" type games are still in the minority on Vita.

I'm sure such marketplaces also do exist on phone platforms (at least as front-ends for the actual licensed marketplace), but to my knowledge not any with both sufficient credibility and a massive enough presence to really matter. People are making too much money from the other model.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:06 am 

dougeff wrote:

<shameless-self-promotion>you can try my Android game, Robo-Ninja, which is completely free with no strings attached</shameless-self-promotion>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:15 pm 

What tools did you use to make Robo-Ninja? Some kind of game maker app?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:34 pm 
Formerly WheelInventor

Incidentally, game maker can compile for iOS, android etc. You had to pay a license as a one-time purchase for each platform extension. I don’t know if this info is up to date though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:39 pm 

gauauu wrote:
dougeff wrote:

<shameless-self-promotion>you can try my Android game, Robo-Ninja, which is completely free with no strings attached</shameless-self-promotion>

I can't even buy super power up cheats with real life money in your game, what is this madness? :P

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:58 pm 

dougeff wrote:
What tools did you use to make Robo-Ninja? Some kind of game maker app?

I wrote it in Java with libGDX, a cross-platform game development library/framework.

(And used Tiled for level design)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:37 pm 

dougeff wrote:

I wouldn't mind ads if they weren't so intrusive; I'm assuming there's some kind of incentive for the app maker to have them stop what you're doing and take up the whole screen? How about a racing game where billboards in the game are actual ads? Or a baseball game where the backstop has different ads? I think that would be pretty neat.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:57 am 

Yes that's how adds used to be in sports games (although it didn't seem they become any cheaper because of it), I wouldn't mind that kind of adds either.

Nintendo also started with free-to-play games that are free to download but consists of 90% DLC/unlockable content that you have to pay for. I've already used a lot of money in the UFO catcher game on 3DS to get badges and sometimes menu themes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next