Are mobile apps a scam?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

rainwarrior

Re: Are mobile apps a scam?

Post by rainwarrior »

Espozo wrote:
dougeff wrote:Can't we just have a nice game, that you just play? No ads, no micro-transactions, no BS.
I wouldn't mind ads if they weren't so intrusive; I'm assuming there's some kind of incentive for the app maker to have them stop what you're doing and take up the whole screen? How about a racing game where billboards in the game are actual ads? Or a baseball game where the backstop has different ads? I think that would be pretty neat.
When I got Wipeout for my PS1 I thought Red Bull was a fictional sci-fi product of the future universe.

(It literally has billboards placed around the racetrack: http://i.imgur.com/ZbDI9ls.png)
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

Red bull was so a dominant energy drink over here at that time i think noone could've missed it. I bet the n. american market was more diverse.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Yeah it was, I didn't drink it myself but adds and TV commercials for it was very common. Wipeout is a Psygnosis game so I guess it was big in UK as well.

I remember Wave Race 64 had Fanta billboards in the Japanese version but their texture was replaced with something else in the PAL version. I guess Fanta didn't want to sponsor all versions. I remember Wave Race 64 was a bit cheaper than other N64 games though.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Super Mario Run is the perfect way to monetize an app.

You get the first level for free.

You get the next 7 levels for $9.99.

It's a fun game. People pay to play the full game.

Now, an unknown developer couldn't charge $10. Maybe only $1 to $3.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

Like good old shareware games.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

dougeff wrote: Now, an unknown developer couldn't charge $10. Maybe only $1 to $3.
That's another ridiculous problem with the mobile market. You can't afford to make a good game, because even charging $10 is "expensive"...

Post by 93143 »

If I recall correctly, even Super Mario Run got savaged by reviews from players who didn't read the fine print and thought it was free. They played the first few levels, hit the paywall and got angry...
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

93143 wrote:If I recall correctly, even Super Mario Run got savaged by reviews from players who didn't read the fine print and thought it was free. They played the first few levels, hit the paywall and got angry...
Correct.

You know, I think we're forgetting the best example of advertising in a video game:

It was pretty effective, because whenever I go to the store to buy bananas, I get Dole bananas. I would say they taste better, but I know it's just the placebo effect. :lol:
Jedi QuestMaster

Post by Jedi QuestMaster »

In Bomberman 64, Red Mountain was practically an ad for Crunch bars:

Image Image
calima

Post by calima »

Now I'm hungry :D