It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:53 pm 

I'm not fully sure of the order of things anymore, but...

general messing around with computers -> Clickteam products (e.g. Klik n Play, Click and Create) -> N64 Gameshark codes and NES romhacking (also some editing of PC games for funsies) -> half-hearted Visual Basic attempt -> using the utilities of the N64 Gameshark Pro (which really helped, IMO; it's how I was introduced to bitfields) -> programming schooling (high school, college) -> learned 6502 assembly on my own after thinking it was unattainable for many years -> spending too much time working with a bunch of other retro consoles.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:52 am 

I guess I learned in the wrong order? Outside of messing with Basic and reading a few chapters on C++ (didn't write code though; read a few chapters of a book). My real experience is pretty much (in order); x86 assembly language, z80 and GBx80 assembly, HuC6280 (and 65x variants, including '816), learned C on PC, 68k assembly, PIC16f series assembly (horrible! but I made it into a video chip that output blocky composite video using resistor ladder), 810v asm (PC FX model), MIPS assembly, ARM assembly, SH2 asm.. some other processors in asm, and this year I've just learned Java and the basis of Object oriented programming. The trend is that I'm moving away from assembly :B

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:12 pm 

The way I learned programming led to a lot of misunderstandings. I knew I could optimize code a lot better than Capcom and Konami did, but had no way to prove it, because I didn't know how to get the code I wrote into a ROM.