ROM hacks now in Nintendo's crosshairs

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Re: ROM hacks now in Nintendo's crosshairs

Post by Drew Sebastino »

I'd have thought my comment would have upset him more than anyone else, but I just saw that this discussion was going nowhere and wanted to have fun with it. However, I was really getting the "vaccines cause autism" vibe from what he wrote initially.
Alp

Post by Alp »

lidnariq wrote:Do you understand what parody is?
This comic seems strangely relevant to this thread: (mildly NSFW, but it's just a giant foam penis)
http://oglaf.com/actor-n-bishop/

To summarize: "BOOOO! BOOOOOO! This isn't satire! You're just whacking people with a dick!" :P
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

The much greater "NSFW" is the ad on the bottom... :lol:
Alp

Post by Alp »

Espozo wrote:The much greater "NSFW" is the ad on the bottom... :lol:
Oh shit! Is there an ad!? :shock:
I've had AdBlock installed for so long, that I didn't even think of checking for them. Sorry about that.
8bitMicroGuy

Post by 8bitMicroGuy »

tcaudilllg wrote:Gee I thought this was a site that was more about tech stuff, where even the general stuff had some merit. Seriously this bullshit belongs at RHDN. This guy isn't going to become anything anyhow (except a preacher or a lawyer (nah)), so why humor him? I think he's trolling.
If I was a troll, you'd be crying right now.
tcaudilllg

Post by tcaudilllg »

The question is begged: when is a rom hack ok, and when is it not ok? Does there come a point when you trample the commercial rights of the game designers/publishers in the process of the expansion? Is it OK to sell a rom hack independently of the patched material? And if it is, does this also mean it's OK to create patches/add-ons for -any- software package?
tepples

Post by tepples »

To be perfectly safe, offer mods only when the publisher has made mod hooks available. This happens far more often for PC games than for console games.
DementedPurple

Post by DementedPurple »

I'd probably be fine as long as they weren't selling the hack, but if they were, I would most likely give a cease and desist, if they refuse, then I'd probably take legal actions. However, if they had completely original code and assets, then I'd be fine if they sold it. I've honestly always hated ROM hacking, mainly because it required no talent whatsoever. Now don't get me wrong, there are a few amazing ROM hackers who make amazing ROM hacks that go as far as to have completely different music, levels,characters, and occasionally change the code! But those people are hard to find when you have a bunch of crap hackers who only go as far as to change the graphics a little bit. There are so many immature people who make repulsive ROM hacks.
tcaudilllg

Post by tcaudilllg »

DementedPurple wrote:I'd probably be fine as long as they weren't selling the hack, but if they were, I would most likely give a cease and desist, if they refuse, then I'd probably take legal actions. However, if they had completely original code and assets, then I'd be fine if they sold it. I've honestly always hated ROM hacking, mainly because it required no talent whatsoever. Now don't get me wrong, there are a few amazing ROM hackers who make amazing ROM hacks that go as far as to have completely different music, levels,characters, and occasionally change the code! But those people are hard to find when you have a bunch of crap hackers who only go as far as to change the graphics a little bit. There are so many immature people who make repulsive ROM hacks.
Just count your lucky stars that nobody has thought to sit down and write a competitive PD engine or maker for the older systems. That, my friend, would be the end of your job.
Oziphantom

Post by Oziphantom »

to be on topic..

CCC vs Atari and "Enchantment Kits" + Midway VS Namco and MS Pac-Man. While I think they both scraped away without setting legal precedent, most I would think they did so because the precedent was going to be bad for the Enhancement people. Who ended up with restrictions placed upon them in agreements. "Enhancement kits" is just a fancy name for ROM Hack.