It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:17 pm 

I see your 3-screen Razer "Project Valerie" laptop and raise you this:

Nintendo BS. Not even once.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:23 pm 

Haha, that's not too far from what high-end streamers have for their desktops/setups. MarkeeDragon (super cool/nice guy, EVE player) is one such guy. Just look at his setup. I asked him in chat one day how much his electricity bill was a month, and he said something to the effect of "I'd rather not discuss that on stream. Let's just say it borders on outrageous."

And here I am with dual monitors, 1920x1200 (16:10) @ 24" DVI (and a monitor from 2006, because PVA panels are awesome and IPS glow can suck it!) + 1280x1024 @ 17" VGA (a panel I found in an E-recycle bin at an old job -- it has serious tint issues with white, but hey, it works). I can't even really upgrade because I don't have the desk real estate for it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:43 pm 

koitsu wrote:

First off, no way in hell that will ever be able to render anything outside the GUI at a resolution like that, and second, that thing looks like it could break if you just so much as looked at it funny. It looks about as portable as a desktop. Multiple monitors makes sense for having multiple windows open at the same time, (as it kind of separates everything for you) but for games, it's just really stupid to me. You might as well just get a bigger monitor.

I found those resolutions interesting, koitsu. I've only ever heard of 720p, 768p, or 1080p.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:47 pm 

Resolution is whatever you want it to be. The XXXXp thing is just a fad now, more or less. There's some truth in it but only in specific ways and for specific reasons. I've actually asked "tech people" if they know what the "p" stands for (just for the hell of it), and a lot of them don't. Sad times.

I'm still enjoying the fact that there's all this hype over 4K and 8K displays or televisions, yet run-of-the-mill laptops, up to about the US$750 price point, are all 1366x768 (including some which have 19" screens -- it's like nobody's heard of DPI); my IBM ThinkPad T43p back in 2005 had a higher resolution than that (1400x1050).

I'm just so done with technology. So much of it is utter garbage. A gamer-driven industry does little (not nothing, but little) to improve the things that really matter.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:32 pm 

koitsu wrote:
run-of-the-mill laptops, up to about the US$750 price point, are all 1366x768 (including some which have 19" screens -- it's like nobody's heard of DPI

I payed $60 extra bucks to get this to be 1920x1080. For such a huge ass computer, 1366x768 would be unacceptable. I believe you mean PPI, though. :wink: Even though I've been through with the DS and 3DS for years now (I got a 3DS when it was brand new and stopped playing it from loosing interest. No good games had come out past 2012) but I always thought the "XL" versions were really bad for how they only blew up the screen and didn't change the already low resolution.

koitsu wrote:
I'm just so done with technology. So much of it is utter garbage.

I blame Apple. With out a doubt, my most hated company; (I liked Google when they were a relatively harmless search engine. I grew distain for them the second they moved into the hardware business) I know it's irrational. :lol:

...Then though, you have the other end of the spectrum where people care about specs, but don't know what they even mean. Enter Alienware. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:46 pm 

koitsu wrote:

Ha ha ha what a silly product. The wingspan seems to defeat the purpose of it being a laptop... but if you put it on a desk, it's now a really shitty desktop with all the horrible ergonomics of a laptop (which are usually a tradeoff for mobility...) ???

Going back to the "bizarre" comment... if you find it bizarre to have GPU temperature but not CPU, on my laptop that program offers the opposite information. It lists CPU temperature but not GPU. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:12 pm 

This is the first thing I thought of when I saw the "laptop":

You might as well carry around some big ass thing like this:

I bet that can run Dolphin! :shock:

Quote:
on my laptop that program offers the opposite information. It lists CPU temperature but not GPU. :wink:

Weird... I guess the creators were very indecisive. :lol:

I just found this. Hurts my back just looking at it...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:43 pm 

I thought I'd tell you guys that I gave Open Hardware Monitor's creator an email a couple of days ago, but I haven't heard back. Today, I tried a CPU stress test application, (prime95) and I found it interesting that although this CPU is rated to operate up to 90 degrees Celsius, it never got past 67 (at least according to Open Hardware Monitor. Like I said, I'm waiting for a response) and settled down and stayed at 57, I guess because the fan kicked in, because the CPU usage was still at 100%. (I left it running for almost an hour.) I guess they left that much headroom for people who are less conscious about their computer, like having a blanket in front of the fan or leaving layers of dust inside.