It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:46 pm 

I'm rather OCD about it, so they're pretty organized but I'm never happy with it.

To reply to rainwarrior's post without quoting:
Rather O.T.; but I keep thinking about this as I aim toward making up some sort of simple file system to implement with tiny flash modules in a 6502 computer, a system whose driver wouldn't take much space in the 6502 memory map. (I started a topic about it in the Brad's Projects forum, admittedly one that doesn't get much traffic.) A tree of folders is convenient for reasons already mentioned, but sure complicates the inner workings of a file system. My HP-71 handheld computer from 30 years ago with 160KB of RAM (which does not max out the machine, but it's all my budget allowed at the time) allows keeping gobs of files (potentially hundreds, even thousands if they're tiny) in battery-backed RAM, and allows "freeporting" 32KB sections of RAM, and if you have two or more files with the same name, you can specify which RAM port to look in. The disc or flash equivalent would be to divide the disc or flash into partitions (but not partitions within partitions). This computer had by far the best BASIC I've ever seen, even much nicer than HP's Rocky Mountain Basic if you use the users' groups language-extension contributions, and allowed subprograms within program files, and you could have multiple subprograms with the same name as long as they weren't in the same program file. A program or subprogram could call a subprogram in the same file or another file (or even call itself, recursively, since it saved environments).

What we did in the early years of home computers of course was that there was no hard disc, and we had gobs of floppy discs (or even cassettes), and each one was kind of its own folder, and we swapped them out all the time to get the desired set of files.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:15 pm 

Unfortunatelly, mine is kind of messy...
I run a multiseat config, so all the family can use the same PC. :wink:
I kept almost all hard drives from older systems I had...
So now I have 7 disks, most of them around 80, 90% full.
The system drive is mostly clean...
Most of the time I use symlinks to try to keep the things organised on my home folder and on the kid's folders for cartoons and games, my wife does the same, but unfortunatelly my daughters don't think the same way, having most of their files on the Desktop.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:51 pm 

My drives are pretty organized and the desktop only has shortcuts for My Computer and the Recycle Bin.

C: installed programs. can be formatted at any time if needed
D: personal data, sorted by type.
E: Steam games