Nintendo Switch Livestreem...

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Re: Nintendo Switch Livestreem...

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Pokun wrote:on the other hand I don't see what's so fun about multiplayer only ink shooting
The fun isn't the ink shooting, it's the part where you kill "splat" the other players. I rarely ever play Turf War. Instead, I usually play whatever Ranked Battle mode there is. Even in Turf War, you don't have to focus on painting; if you run ahead and take everyone out, backing them all the way up to their base, you won, because even if other people aren't behind you painting, you still painted a trail to get where you are. There's not much more satisfying than taking out all four players of the other team back to back.
Pokun wrote:Except that third-party controllers more often than not are of very bad quality compared to Nintendo's.
Yup... I had two Mad-Catz GameCube controllers where the control stick was all plastic except for a little rubber grip on top. They fell of ages ago, so all the was left was flat rounded plastic, and you couldn't grip it at all. Whenever I'd play Super Monkey Ball with friends, I'd make sure not to get those controllers. (Definitely not the game where you want a bad control stick. :lol:) An even worse one I can think of, is a YOBO GameCube controller where the dead zone of the control stick was about the entire width (you couldn't walk in Super Smash Bros) and you needed to ram your thumb against the buttons in to get them to work.

Control sticks are not third party controllers' strong suit... My friend would always give me this crappy GameStop branded PS2 controller where you couldn't press the sticks in unless they were perfectly upright, because of how high they put the plastic surrounding it. I really want to know if the manufacturers of these even tried played a game with them... :lol:
calima

Post by calima »

@Pokun
Well, the WiiU pirate scene is already region free, so you could've gotten a local WiiU and some region-free hack. A similar thing exists for the 3DS.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Hacking my 3DS would mean I'd have to sacrifice any online services, including the 3DS Shop program, and when I bought it, hacking hadn't come very far either. I assume the goes for Wii U.

Besides with Swedish tax, importing a 3DS or a game from Japan, including the shipping fees, was still much cheaper then getting them locally (I had to get the AC Adapter locally though).
Getting a Japanese system guarantees I can play any Japanese game I want.

But with the Japanese prices of Wii U, it would be cheaper to get one locally.

@Espozo
I have to try this ink shooting sometime to see what all the fuzz is about. :)

I also have mostly bad experience with third-party accessories, and avoid them like the plague. I don't mind paying a little more as long as they are of excellent quality. There are exceptions among third-party though, Hori controllers are generally great. They are so good that they are sometimes licensed by first-party (like the Hori Mini Pad for Nintendo 64). The Hori Fighting Commander PC is probably the single best controller for PC Engine.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Apparently, DFC intelligence (apparently some company that guesses how much video games will sell, or something) is predicting the Switch is going to sell 40 million units by 2020 based "market research and statistics", whatever that means, which I find interesting, but unlikely. If you want to know more about how they found this number (I certainly do) they're selling a book called "Market Brief: Nintendo Switch Overview & Forecasts" for the reasonable price of $999.95. :lol: http://www.dfcint.com/wp/
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

It would be nice if it did. I'm tired at seeing people playing crappy smart phone games on the train.

Looks like Zelda will be dubbed and there'll be no dual audio options. You can change the system language, but that means text will also be in Japanese.
F**k those stupid localizers, I'm getting a Japanese Switch and Japanese Zelda just in case!
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

You know it's supposed to be region free... :lol:
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Yeah that's nice and all, that means I'll not be locked to only Japanese games like I am on 3DS. But getting the Japanese version of the game guarantees that it wasn't censored or otherwise localized, so I have nothing to loose. It might turn out that all versions are identical and have all languages selectable, but I don't want to take any chances on that.

Besides they just introduced another tax that basically makes electronics much more expensive when bought in Sweden. But not when buying from internet shops outside of Sweden, so it punishes local stores for no reason and encourages importing.

I don't think this tax is in effect yet, but the price of the Switch is basically already anounced, and it was much more expensive than in Japan. It will be much cheaper to import it myself, even if I have to pay consumption tax and shipping for it.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

I don't think this tax is in effect yet
I remember reading it's in effect from April and onwards. I wasn't aware until relatively recently, probably because i either buy electronics second hand, build them (if they're simple, like discrete synth/audio circuits) or import them from Germany.

Post by 93143 »

I'll just note that from what I'm hearing, Arms is supposedly really good and deep, far more so than the trailer suggested. Coming on the heels of 1-2-Switch as it did (though note that we haven't seen the entirety of that game either), I think people just ignored what Nintendo said about Arms and assumed it was a cheap, gimmicky waggle-fest. (It should be noted that the gyro/accel in the Switch controllers is apparently far more precise than what Wii Boxing was developed for.)

If Arms is as good as the early reports suggest and does well as a result, I'm hoping they can make this into a pattern - Nintendo seems to be viewed by many as merely curating the relics of its long-vanished creative era, and however grossly unfair that is, there's a grain of truth in it.

(On the other hand, I do hope they haven't given up on stuff like Metroid and F-Zero. There are hopeful signs, at least around Metroid - but people are reporting that the Switch doesn't seem to have analog triggers, so regarding F-Zero I'm basically stuck hoping they're wrong... or that Nintendo has a better idea...)
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

I hope you heard those rumors from unbiased people that tested the game.
Wii Boxing was made long before the Motion Plus so there was no gyro sensor in the controller. Only the acceleration sensor.

Anyway I just hope these games will surprise us positivley like the early Wii games did.

Post by 93143 »

Pokun wrote:I hope you heard those rumors from unbiased people that tested the game.
I hope so too.

Really it's just what people have been saying on the Internet since seeing more of the game and playing it at the public events. I have no inside track. I realize my comment stands out more than it should since the thread had died down, but I'm not sure what I can do about that...
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

The thread will continue to revive anytime when news about the Switch comes up until the release of it.

Apparently the online feature will cost about 2000 or 3000 yen per year. That wasn't so bad.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

It's pretty bad when you're so out of stock, that Gamestop has to randomly select 1,000 people who can get a pre order: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/gamest ... 0-6447768/

...And then there's this... https://www.wired.com/2017/01/reggie-fi ... interview/

In Nintendo's defense though, I don't know why anyone wanted to buy this at launch. :lol:

A random tidbit, but it seems Nintendo has been showing off the blue and red Switch more and more. I thought it looked pretty slick with the gray (much less like a child's toy than the Wii U controller, although it also looks less comfortable to hold...) but the mismatched sides are tacky as hell and really don't look good in the grip. If there were a way to get a fully red or blue one, I'd take it though. I suppose I could buy another one, but I'm not going to pay $50 more dollars on something stupid like that, considering I know I'll be buying a pro controller.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

I guess Nintendo don't want to take too big risks after the failure of Wii U.

I really like the red, blue and black color theme, looks better than the standard grey/black one. I wish there was a variant with green though.
Yeah I'm also getting a Pro Controller so I probably won't need more than one Joy-Con set for a while. I'll guess I'll just take the blue/red one to start with.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Pokun wrote:I guess Nintendo don't want to take too big risks after the failure of Wii U.
That makes some sense, but they can't possibly expect it to do as bad considering they made a Super Bowl ad (many people didn't even know what the Wii U was) and even if it did sell as bad, it's at least being sold at a profit. Nintendo has recently become a scalper's best friend.

Not very related, but I see Nintendo finally put the old Wario World development website out of commission and have replaced it with a non archaic one: https://developer.nintendo.com/ (although I actually like the older website more. The fact it looked as old as it did but was still being maintained gave it charm. :lol:) I swear, you'd think Breath of the Wild is the only game coming for the switch for how much Nintendo is advertising it. It's also kind of a mute point to sell the Switch for a game that you can get 90% intact on the Wii U, although I know they're hoping to draw in people who don't have a Wii U. You can't do that with Splatoon 2 (well, there's the first game, as Splatoon 2 doesn't look like it's going to be that much different, but still) and this appears to be even less the case for Super Mario Odyssey. If it weren't for the aforementioned games, I probably wouldn't get the Switch and would instead get Breath of the Wild for Wii U. It looks like a game you'd want to sit on the couch and play for a long time anyway.