Nintendo Switch Livestreem...

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Nintendo Switch Livestreem...

Post by 93143 »

Keep in mind that March isn't normally a massive shopping season. (In fact the system is launching on the first Friday of Lent...)

Also, there's no such thing as a "mute point"...
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

93143 wrote:Keep in mind that March isn't normally a massive shopping season.
I guess I'm forgetting not everyone has a March birthday... :lol:
93143 wrote:there's no such thing as a "mute point"...
Yeah, I don't know what I did there... :lol:
tepples

Post by tepples »

Let me guess why it's not a fourth quarter release: Nintendo wants to give the early adopter demographic a chance to get the product before the holiday demographic. This way the firmware can have its bugs shaken out, and there's less chance of a prolonged shortage like that which plagued the first five quarters of Wii availability (or lack thereof).
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

A piece of shit. I warned you all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb-srOfRqNc
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

A piece of shit with Splatoon 2 though... :lol: I have to say, I'm incredibly disappointed by the dock. No padding? Are you for real? There's really nothing else to it either. (Just a plastic shell, that Nintendo is charging $90 for?...) Where did all this improved airflow nonsense come from? Why doesn't the Switch run at the improved clock speed at all times, seeing that the dock does virtually nothing? (Please tell me it's not just battery life...) I'd have assumed there'd be an extra fan to suck the air out, but nope. Nintendo's stance on their screens having dead pixels is a little less than, uh, good too. People's screens shouldn't be shitting out already after less than a week. Because of all this (I haven't even talked about the JoyCon wrist straps either) I'm actually surprised how much praise it's getting. It's like it wasn't even play tested, like the issue with the controllers, although fixed, and again the screen rubbing against the dock. I thought Samsung was bad with the Note 7 in this regard, but at least its problems don't appear day 1. :lol:

Who here has the Switch anyway? I went to Walmart for something unrelated the day it came out and decided to take a look, and they were all sold out. I ran into someone who was looking for a Switch and he said that every other store in town was too.

I just saw that this is supposedly Nintendo's fastest-selling console ever (including the Wii): http://www.businessinsider.com/nintendo ... les-2017-3 :shock:
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Yeah it's to early for any numbers but I heard it's selling like hotcakes. Gamestop also said it was the best launch day in years. Considering March is no shopping season it is impressive, I still think the Switch will be a big success and that 40 million goal shouldn't be too hard to reach.

I don't have a Switch yet and I was gonna wait a bit after launch for any child diseases to be fixed first (such as those mentioned design problems) and maybe a price drop, but I changed my mind. I'm going to get one as soon as I can find it for a price close enough to the MSRP of 29980 yen. Right now scalpers are everywhere so I have no choice but to wait a bit.

I haven't heard anything about an improved airflow while docked. There is a fan inside the main unit and that's it I think.

Regarding the clock speed, it seems the Switch allows at least two different GPU clock speeds and this is switchable by the software. 768 MHz is only allowed when docked, but the programmer can choose to use the slower speed even when docked. The dock doesn't contain a clock though, it's just the Switch that senses that it is docked, and then it allows the 768 MHz mode to be used. The memory controller also has a switchable speed of 1331.2 or 1600 MHz with the higher speed only allowed in TV Mode, but the CPU always runs at 1020 MHz in all Play Modes.

And yes the reason the higher speeds aren't allowed in Portable/Table Mode is mainly because of battery life, but also because of the lower resolution screen. At 720p there's no need for the GPU to go at full speed if I understands it correctly. The battery life is already quite short as it is so I'm glad it's good at saving energy.

I don't really trust anything in that video that Zepper posted since it's obviously angled (looks to me like some doofus tried to force the strap on in the wrong direction), but I've read several reports of one of the Joy-Con's bluetooth communication sometimes not working correctly.

Problems I've heard about:
* Joy-Con bluetooth communication problems.
* The USB Type-C port's placement makes it normally impossible to charge the main unit in Table Mode. A stand will be released to take care of this problem, but that's one more purchase and it reduces its portability.
* Save files can only be stored within the internal 32 GB flash memory. All other things like screenshots, downloaded games and DLC can be stored on the SD card. So there is a hard upper limit for save files. I guess this is to prevent save file exploits, but I hope Nintendo will fix this somehow.
* Pro Controller is priced steeply! And it's a must get for me, I need that cross d-pad. The reason it's expensive might be because it seems to have almost all of the technology that are in the Joy-Cons.
* The Grip can't charge the Joy-Cons which means there's no way to charge them while using them in TV Mode without buying the Charge Grip. Really the Charge Grip should have been the standard Grip IMO. Of course any game, like 1,2 Switch, that requires the Joy-Cons to be loose (TV Mode or Table Mode) can't be played while charging no matter what.
* The dock scratches the screen. A screen protector is basically a must. Someone said that the ones Hori make comes off, but I can' find any evidence of that.
calima

Post by calima »

Maybe not hw-related, but the new Zelda is reported as having FPS drops on both WiiU and Switch (both modes). For a game years in dev that's kinda bad.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Pokun wrote:Gamestop also said it was the best launch day in years.
"In years"? Like since holiday 2013? :?
Pokun wrote:I haven't heard anything about an improved airflow while docked.
I hadn't heard anything official about it, but many people figured that all the space inside the dock was for something. Apparently, it's just a plastic box...
Pokun wrote:At 720p there's no need for the GPU to go at full speed if I understands it correctly.
If you're shooting for 1080p when docked, then I guess? What if you want to keep the resolution consistent though and would rather opt for 60fps, 720p (assuming you can't have both 1080p and 60fps)? I think anything less than 3 hours battery life is absurd though; could they not have made the system thicker and stacked the battery behind the system board (rather than having it beside)?
Pokun wrote:I don't really trust anything in that video that Zepper posted since it's obviously angled
Well, I don't see how the obviously broken screen and speakers could be operator error or anything like that (in that I think people are being honest). It's inevitable there will be systems sent out with problems though, and I don't think it's at the point of being an epidemic.

About the JoyCon grip, that's definitely a problem though. Nintendo figured they needed to lace the games in bitter apple (or something like that) to prevent kids from swallowing them, but they didn't figure that the same kids might put an accessory that looks nearly identical on both sides on the wrong way?
Pokun wrote:* The USB Type-C port's placement makes it normally impossible to charge the main unit in Table Mode. A stand will be released to take care of this problem, but that's one more purchase and it reduces its portability.
I've also heard the kickstand in the back is really flimsy. I'm surprised the system doesn't fall over given how far off to the side the stand is.
Pokun wrote:Save files can only be stored within the internal 32 GB flash memory.
Would you really have 32GB of save data though? That seems really excessive, but I haven't looked at how big save data is now a days. Even with increased textures and more voice samples and whatever, modern game sizes still baffle me.
Pokun wrote:The reason it's expensive might be because it seems to have almost all of the technology that are in the Joy-Cons.
I think the reason is more along the lines of...
Pokun wrote:it's a must get for me, I need that cross d-pad.
:lol:
Pokun wrote:Really the Charge Grip should have been the standard Grip IMO.
Again, it's Nintendo trying to wring every dollar out of you. It's kind of crazy that the two accessories that come with the Nintendo Switch outside of the JoyCons and any cables are 90% plastic and 100% plastic.
Pokun wrote:* The dock scratches the screen.
I'm still shocked it's not padded in any way. When I first saw how easily it went in and out, I assumed that there were rubber wheels on the sides of the dock, but it's just plastic...
Pokun wrote:Someone said that the ones Hori make comes off, but I can' find any evidence of that.
http://www.frys.com/product/9084417?sou ... wAodD5sFiw :|
calima wrote:Maybe not hw-related, but the new Zelda is reported as having FPS drops on both WiiU and Switch (both modes). For a game years in dev that's kinda bad.
I was amazed when I first saw that. having framerate problems at 900p, 30fps is absurd. I might be the only one who feels this way, but I really don't think the graphics in the game are very good at all. Once any landmass is 10 yards away from you, it turns into Play-Doh. Everything also looks really de-saturated, except for the weird neon grass. For the longest time, I thought the game ran at 1080p, 60fps; I wouldn't be complaining there.
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

I don't really trust anything in that video that Zepper posted since it's obviously angled (looks to me like some doofus tried to force the strap on in the wrong direction), but I've read several reports of one of the Joy-Con's bluetooth communication sometimes not working correctly.
That's bad. :shock:
More videos are coming out on YouTube. Dozens of them, and get ready for thousands.
Your comment about the video means nothing, but yeah... you must be ignored for good.
Last edited by Zepper on Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Could you just tell us that you're linking to a Wikipedia page on "denialism"? :?
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

Espozo wrote:Could you just tell us that you're linking to a Wikipedia page on "denialism"? :?
Any problem? Let's remove it.

Well, I watched a YouTube video of Velberan's channel, and he explained a few things about the recent bugs and problems. The Joycon connection seems to fail due to the position of your hands... covering most of the Joycon, so you would need to be nearby the Switch. The strap is being connected in reverse! That's not printed anywhere. About the screen (game) problems, well... it may be overheat (battery related, since it's big) affecting the inner components.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Zepper wrote:The strap is being connected in reverse! That's not printed anywhere.
There's a plus and a minus sign engraved on either side, but it's easy to miss. It's definitely a problem.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Yeah well I personally think it seems a little stupid (although I haven't tried it myself yet), I mean even as a kid I could figure out to insert things like batteries the correct way by looking at how they are marked and so on. But you are right, monster parents with stupid kids are going to complain to Nintendo why they didn't make it fool-proof to prevent the kids to break their toy the very first day. And yeah things like this should generally really only be able to be inserted one way for many reasons.
Espozo wrote:
Pokun wrote:I haven't heard anything about an improved airflow while docked.
I hadn't heard anything official about it, but many people figured that all the space inside the dock was for something. Apparently, it's just a plastic box...
Well that makes sense to assume since it may run at higher speed when docked. But the only thing inside the dock is curcuitry for the HDMI and USB ports, and it takes up only a small fraction of the dock.

Espozo wrote:
Pokun wrote:At 720p there's no need for the GPU to go at full speed if I understands it correctly.
If you're shooting for 1080p when docked, then I guess? What if you want to keep the resolution consistent though and would rather opt for 60fps, 720p (assuming you can't have both 1080p and 60fps)? I think anything less than 3 hours battery life is absurd though; could they not have made the system thicker and stacked the battery behind the system board (rather than having it beside)?
I have no idea if this part could have been done much better. But yeah I think I'd also prefer more battery life even if it made it a little thicker. I mean it's not like you can put it in your pocket anyway so why bother make it so thin. It just seems more uncomfortable to hold.

Would you really have 32GB of save data though? That seems really excessive, but I haven't looked at how big save data is now a days. Even with increased textures and more voice samples and whatever, modern game sizes still baffle me.
It's a principal thing. I just don't like potential limits like this. And yeah I have no idea either how big save files are nowdays, but I think some games takes up a lot of space, and then there are system updates that may increase the total size of the system on the same memory. The 3DS could at least have save data on cartridges but the Switch seems to have all saves in the internal storage memory.
You are not alone in being baffled about the size of modern games. I tried to install a game on my laptop some year ago and was surprised that it took 20 GB of space! There's no way I would have that much space left on a puny laptop harddrive! I don't think I made a Famicom game bigger than 16 kB!

Again, it's Nintendo trying to wring every dollar out of you. It's kind of crazy that the two accessories that come with the Nintendo Switch outside of the JoyCons and any cables are 90% plastic and 100% plastic.
Yes you said it. Everyone knows it, and I'm stuck in that trap since long ago...

Zepper wrote:
That's bad. :shock:
More videos are coming out on YouTube. Dozens of them, and get ready for thousands.
Well how am I supposed to take something like that seriously? You made an obviously biased post that seems to be aimed to unfairly hurt the Switch's reputation, and posted a video that was obviously biased the same way taking a bunch of videos out of context to highlight all the bad and the defective units from the Switch launch day. I never said the owners are lying or that the units in the videos aren't really defective. If you posted a little more serious article that were actually trying to map out the potential problems with the Switch it would be worth arguing. But it wasn't that, so I'm not going to.

Oh about Hori's screen protectors:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NCX8UUG/re ... merReviews
Look at the reviews, I wonder if it's a coincedence that they all says it comes off.
It's surprising though, Hori normally makes great accessories.
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

Pokun wrote:Well how am I supposed to take something like that seriously?
It's easy. Just take 2 years before buying a Switch - otherwise, you're a beta tester of the initial units.
The next batch might bring some kind of fix, but I dunno. Perhaps changes in new models of 64, 128, 256GB... who knows?
If that video (and many others!) is meaningless to you, well... go ahead, buy one and be happy. Just as side note, I own every Nintendo console, and the big surprise to me was NES->Super NES, then N64->GameCube. The rest are nothing more than "more from the same".
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

I see what you mean. I was initially going to wait, maybe not 2 years, but at least wait to see if it turned out to have lots of problems, which all modern consoles seems to have nowdays at launch. And there may also be a new model with improvements or fixes of old problems, but early adopting has its benefits too.
I seldom buy consoles at launch nowdays but this time I'm considering being an early adopter because I'm pumped up for it now.

Also Nintendo consoles usually doesn't have as many problems as say Microsoft's do, and Gamecube and earlier consoles almost never had problems at all (save for the early Famicom which apparently had serious glitches), although the Wii had that heating problem in some units, which broke the GPU when using WiiConnect24.

But I can't find it for a normal price at the moment so I have no choice but to wait a bit longer.