It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:28 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obia1Mhv6uk

I hear an extra instrument in the ending song of SMB2J. What could possibly be playing it? Is it a DPCM channel? I don't get it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:35 pm 
Formerly Fx3

I'm quite sure it's the Famicom Disk System version.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:57 pm 

It's absolutely the Famicom Disk System's audio. It tends to have a particular sound that you'll learn to recognise as you hear it more and more often. Here's a reference. To get the full experience of the sound right in your face, check out Falsion, Metroid, Dracula 2 ("Simon's Quest"), or Gyruss (my personal favourite; the FDS makes the initial part of Tocatta and Fugue in D minor sound almost haunting).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:37 pm 

NES Castlevania 2 had much better music than FDS Castlevania 2, despite having less sound channels.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:13 pm 

Is there a NSF or a Famitracker file of this song? I'd like to hear all of the channels in all combinations of mutedness.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:56 pm 

I'm not aware of one. You can request one in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=115

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:53 pm 

I've found an NSF, filename "Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, VS Extra Tracks (FDS)(1986-02-21)(Nintendo EAD)(Nintendo).nsf", wherein track 19 has the FDS extra sound for the end credits. (The rest has no extra FDS sound)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:53 am 

Dwedit wrote:
NES Castlevania 2 had much better music than FDS Castlevania 2, despite having less sound channels.

No way! The FDS version has many cool sounds the Nes version lacks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:47 am 

Pokun wrote:
No way! The FDS version has many cool sounds the Nes version lacks.

I'm not familiar with both versions to know whether the melodies are different or just the arrangements, but I tend to hold melodies in much higher regard than arrangements, so to me variety of sounds means nothing if the melodies aren't as engaging.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:58 am 
Formerly WheelInventor

I'm agreeing with tokumaru. I'm imagining that since they had to port dracula 2 to NES, they'd need to earmark production time to rewriting the soundtrack for the port anyway, and as such, they could afford to go over the melodies more minutely. A second pass is generally a good thing when writing music.

You can hear this in castlevania 3 too; less channels, but a little more attention to adding intriguing detail to the ones that do exist. The difference is more easily heard in castlevania 2, though, where the original melodies fall a little flat, despite the broader palette of timbres. They had more experience when writing the original soundtrack for CV3, so the difference is more subtle.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:26 pm 

They are using the same melodies though (maybe with some small improvements in the NES version like WheelInventor said, I don't know) so the difference is mainly in the instruments. The FDS version has these cool metallic-sounding instruments in Bloody Tears that uses the FDS channel.

But yeah it doesn't beat Simon's Quest as much as Akumajou Densetsu beats Castlevania 3 in the music department.

Last edited by Pokun on Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:21 am 

WheelInventor wrote:
I'm agreeing with tokumaru. I'm imagining that since they had to port dracula 2 to NES, they'd need to earmark production time to rewriting the soundtrack for the port anyway, and as such, they could afford to go over the melodies more minutely. A second pass is generally a good thing when writing music.

You can hear this in castlevania 3 too; less channels, but a little more attention to adding intriguing detail to the ones that do exist. The difference is more easily heard in castlevania 2, though, where the original melodies fall a little flat, despite the broader palette of timbres. They had more experience when writing the original soundtrack for CV3, so the difference is more subtle.

Yeah, both Dracula II and Akumajô Densetsu use few effects such as creshendos, decreshendoes and arpeggios on the channels they have. On the other hands, CV2 and CV3 uses a lot of those, to somehow compensate for the lack of extra sound channels. I think it works great - in both cases both versions sounds decent. Unlike for instance GImmick!, whose NES soundtrack absolutely suck and is missing the melody completely in some tracks.

Quote:
But yeah it doesn't beat Simon's Quest as much as Dracula Densetsu beats Castlevania 3 in the music department.

Well obviously Castlevania 3 couldn't sound like the original for technical reason, but I think they did a great job porting the soundtrack to the NES. It really sounds great and better than most average NES games, despite being remodelled for less channels. I don't think any part from Akumajô Densetsu is significantly missing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:45 am 
Formerly WheelInventor

To sum my impression up in terms of subjective properties, Dracula II and Akumajô Densetsu have a more rich timbre, and Densetsu is in addition to that more pumped. The changes made to Simon's Quest and Dracula's Curse, on the other hand, are more gothic, romantic, and have a little more tension, which just so happens to be the right sauce for a transylvanian fantasy game. I also feel Simon's Quest is more present.