It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Re: Linux, yes or no ?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:54 pm 

I'd consider Linux a lot more quickly than I'd consider Mac, since I already have the programming inclination, and already have more experience with Linux than I do with Mac. Most of the day-to-day stuff I do on computers runs through a web browser anyway, so it'd just be when it's time to do art, or code, or pixelling that things would change.

The thing I don't want to care about is compiling my OS or manually fixing it when it breaks, and having a smaller support base when I need help. Everyone knows how Windows works, but there's so many different flavors of Linux that it feels like you'd be left hanging a lot more quickly if you don't have a common distro and a common setup. Maybe those are unfounded fears, but they're still my first impressions as a long-time Windows user.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:00 pm 

tokumaru wrote:
I can say with confidence that I don't like the direction Windows is headed to

Ever try Windows 8? :?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:11 pm 

I'm using Linux as my main OS for about 10 years, and I rarelly need to use Windows.

It all begun when my older kid started to want to use the PC for websurf.
I needed to format it a couple of times per week.
Then me and my wife decided to go Linux.

I was very insane and started using Slackware!!
It was really fast, but updates were just a nightmare!! :evil:

Then I tried Conectiva, then Mandrake, then Mandriva and stopped at Ubuntu.
I really missed the old Gnome interface, but I become happy with Mate!
We had many difficulties at the begining and many things just broke after updates, specially with Ubuntu.
But now it's nice! And I can even have a multiseat PC with no aditional software!! :-)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:11 pm 

As a big user of Windows shortcut keys, Linux is far too different for me. Can't hit WindowKey+R, "explorer", Enter on linux. Instead you need to know which of the many file managers you currently have installed. Is it Nautilus? Konquerer? Caja? Dolphin?
I have such strong muscle memory for the Windows XP way of doing things. Even Windows 10 feels weird.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:18 pm 

I've used Linux exclusively for the last 8+ years, so I'd say yes, obviously. :P My two points of advice for anyone looking to try it out for the first time would be 1) don't use Ubuntu and 2) don't use AMD hardware, as either will result in stuff randomly breaking every few days minutes.

If you want a stable distro and don't want to compile everything yourself, I'd suggest Debian. There's a bit of a learning curve, but nothing too steep, and it has a large and stable repository of precompiled packages (including mednafen, FCEUX, Nestopia and xa65, for fellow NESdev-ers) that can be installed at the click of a button.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:45 am 

Dwedit wrote:
As a big user of Windows shortcut keys, Linux is far too different for me. Can't hit WindowKey+R, "explorer", Enter on linux. Instead you need to know which of the many file managers you currently have installed. Is it Nautilus? Konquerer? Caja? Dolphin?
I have such strong muscle memory for the Windows XP way of doing things.

You know, one of the advantages is that you can customize everything. From keys to adding aliases like "explorer".

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:05 am 

Customizing is annoying when you format frequently...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:26 am 

Once you get your system configured you can create a git repo in your home directory and upload your config files to github. Saves a bit of time if you ever reformat.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:57 am 

Why would you ever format a Linux computer? It's not like it gets corrupted regularly like, ahem, certain other operating systems. Even if you mess something badly up, surely you can just restore from a backup?

I'm running the same installation from 2006, just with regular package updates.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:06 am 

calima wrote:
It's not like it gets corrupted regularly like, ahem, certain other operating systems.

Not my experience, unfortunately, as I mentioned above.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:31 am 

Talking about customization, take a look at this virtual machine. (warning: file is over 4GB)
It's an old and quick hack I made back in 2010, I think.
My boss asked to make Ubuntu as close as possible to Win7, and that's what I got.
It's very outdated now, but it can give an idea of what can be done.
I used to have a Mac OS X theme too, but I just can't find it :-(

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:44 am 

calima wrote:
Why would you ever format a Linux computer? It's not like it gets corrupted regularly like, ahem, certain other operating systems. Even if you mess something badly up, surely you can just restore from a backup?

I'm running the same installation from 2006, just with regular package updates.

Are there people out there reformatting Windows on a regular basis? I used to do it with like Windows 95/98, but for a very long time (maybe 2000 or XP?) I can't remember having to re-install Windows for anything other than a new machine or a hard drive failure. I don't have any machines quite as old as 2006 anymore, but my 2010 desktop's Windows 7 installation is still working quite fine.

I do have occasional fights with Windows update, but I've always managed to resolve the problem. I can't say I haven't had similar fights with Linux updates either.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:08 am 

It's actually pretty common to run into people who regularly reformat and reinstall the OS for performance reasons. I think windows update and updating drivers and constantly installing/uninstalling software tends to leave junk in the registry and scattered around the hard drive. Not to mention disk fragmentation.

None of these problems are Windows-specific, by the way.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:00 am 

I format my Windows computers every 1 or 2 years, whenever the system begins to behave erratically or things appear more sluggish than usual. I always considered it common for Windows installations to degrade over time. Maybe I get the impression that I format computers more often than I actually do because I have to take care of 3 different machines at home, plus all the others when I have to help family members deal with their messes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:28 am 

pubby wrote:
Once you get your system configured you can create a git repo in your home directory and upload your config files to github.

Which costs money for a private repo if you have any trade secrets or non-free works in your config. But I did document much of my recent reinstall.

calima wrote:
Why would you ever format a Linux computer?

If your GNU/Linux distribution has gone through three different desktop environments (in my case GNOME 2, Unity, and Xfce), and you lack hours to look up and/or trial-and-error what packages and configs can be removed without hurting things, and you are replacing your computer's HDD with an SSD anyway, then backing up /home, blowing everything away, and selectively restoring things becomes more attractive.