NES Oddities and the Homebrew Revolution Kickstarter Live!

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

thesubcon3

NES Oddities and the Homebrew Revolution Kickstarter Live!

Post by thesubcon3 »

My newest book campaign is live on Kickstarter! It will not only cover obscure NES games, but also every NES Homebrew game I can find! Right now it's over 500 items just in the main book.

Also, due to space constraints, my second book with the Campaign: The Nintendo Entertainment System Compendium is going to consist of a gigantic interview piece with tons of people within NES homebrew community. I have reached out to a lot of programmers, coders, artists, musicians and even publishers all over the community. (If I haven't gotten in contact with you and you have had a hand in creating anything NES, shoot me a PM as I'm sure I missed a bunch of people!)

My intention with the homebrew aspect is to not only highlight the amazing work everyone is doing and document it in a more concise historical format, but also make more people aware that there is a community out there creating brand new games!

The campaign was funded in the first 2 hours, and it's on its way to the having enough to support the print run of the second book! Check it out and the more support it gets, the more I can do with the project!

http://www.tinyurl.com/nesoddities

V/R
Jeffrey Wittenhagen
DRW

Re: NES Oddities and the Homebrew Revolution Kickstarter Liv

Post by DRW »

So, do you need one more developer or a graphics artist to interview or for any other information?

I programmed a game called "City Trouble". (And once we finish the manual in that stupid Corel Draw program, it can finally go into production.)

It's a game mostly written in C. (Only some low level stuff is done in Assembly.)

And it's a typical jump'n'run, only with a shorter level complexity. (Complexity-wise it's closest to "Kung Fu", but gameplay-wise it's more like "Super Mario Bros.", "Mega Man", "Castlevania", "Contra" etc.)

And not only do I have tons of rendering time left, I also had a huge chunk of unused ROM that I filled with a digitized voice sample.
So, this game proves that you can do a decent sidescroller with C and that you're not limited to "Pong"- or "Space Invaders"-like gameplay, as many people like to claim.

I also had my co-worker do the graphics and the artworks:
City Trouble.png
If you want to know anything about the graphics, I guess I can connect her with you.
My game "City Trouble":
Gameplay video: https://youtu.be/Eee0yurkIW4
Download (ROM, manual, artworks): http://www.denny-r-walter.de/city.html
thesubcon3

Post by thesubcon3 »

DRW wrote:So, do you need one more developer or a graphics artist to interview or for any other information?
Absolutely and I played your game at MAGfest this year! PM incoming!
thesubcon3

Post by thesubcon3 »

So we are getting into the final week. Please support if you can. Remember that I'm covering every NES Homebrew game that I can find and the idea is to help with exposure!
Punch

Post by Punch »

Want to have the 13th place in the NESDev competition interviewed? I'm available :lol:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
thesubcon3

Post by thesubcon3 »

Only Two days left for the campaign!