Your NES emulator of choice?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

My NES emulator of choice for PC is...

Poll ended at Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:27 am

Nintendulator
3%
Nestopia
26%
Mesen
No votes
FCEUX
49%
RockNES
3%
VirtuaNES
6%
puNES
3%
3dNES
No votes
Other
11%

Total votes: 35

tokumaru

Re: Your NES emulator of choice?

Post by tokumaru »

My Windows 7... well, it had problems. I just couldn't get the recent C++ runtime installed. No matter what I did, the installation would always hang halfway through. Not a problem anymore though.
Sour wrote:I'm more than happy to try and improve the debugger if anyone has any feedback about it.
I really liked what I saw when I finally got to try it. I'm glad that feedback is appreciated.
Eugene.S

Post by Eugene.S »

Personally, i like nestopia (for great accuracy/performance balance) and puNES/Mesen.
All of them are pretty accurate and have lot of stuff for end-user.
Also, all of them have ntsc/pal hybrid ("dendy-mode") support, which is important for me.
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

Just to let you know... RockNES works at 60FPS in my Intel Atom N450 1.67GHz, using blitter 256x240 in 1024x600, no vsync. With vsync enabled, the frame rate drops a bit. At 2x size (512x480), the speed drops between 30~45FPS.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Sounds like you need triple buffering, that way you get synchronized frames without waiting before each frame, but at a cost of up to a frame of input lag.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

I remember to have played Rocknes in DOS many years ago!!
It was the only emulator that I could play Castlevania 3 without big issues.

I used the old SNESKey with 2 Dynavision joysticks on the parallel port, and that was great!!
I also used Nesticle, Genecyst, ZSNES and Callus for DOS, with Tyrian, Doom and other DOS games, all with the same joysticks.
I think I had a Pentium 100 at the time, and it was already obsolete!!

I don't remember if I already did but, thank you for this great program!! :beer:
Do you plan to release a native Linux port? It would be great if I could add it to Kodi and play with the kids on my multiseat "gambiarra". :D