Your NES emulator of choice?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

My NES emulator of choice for PC is...

Poll ended at Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:27 am

Nintendulator
3%
Nestopia
26%
Mesen
No votes
FCEUX
49%
RockNES
3%
VirtuaNES
6%
puNES
3%
3dNES
No votes
Other
11%

Total votes: 35

tokumaru

Re: Your NES emulator of choice?

Post by tokumaru »

Banshaku wrote:I would try rocknes more if the UI was native.
I never know what Zepper's goal is he starts these kinds of topics. Sometimes it does look like he wants to know how to improve RockNES, but then he just says that what people are asking for (mostly better UI and debug tools) is bullshit and he'll not do it. So yeah, I don't know how to give any constructive criticism about RockNES anymore, or if this is even what Zepper is looking for.

BTW, I didn't answer the poll because I don't use only one emulator, but if I had to pick only one, based on my current habits, it'd have to be FCEUX.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Pokun wrote:Rocknes and Punes seems to be the only emulators that can swap 50% and 25% duty cycle modes for the square channels to emulate certain Famiclone CPUs, so I have used these too at times.
FCEUX has a Dendy mode and a duty-swap option now, as of 2.2.3
M_Tee wrote:FCEUX's palette is tremendously oversaturated. I find it visually uncomfortable to use, and kind of hate that it's the default for the preferred debugging emulator because it results in it being the most commonly used for screenshots, etc.
The default palette sucks. I especially hate how the $D column greys are mismatched against the $0 column. At least it's customizable, though, and comes with some decent palette files.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

For playing VirtuaNES (when savestates are required) and Nestopia (when NTSC filtered graphics are required)

For debugging, FCEUx and Nintendulator.
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

The goal is OBVIOUS. I wonder about the main emulator used by the community. It's interesting about people running Mac or Linux, since a few of these emulators were not ported out of Windows. And yes, just 1 choose. ^_^;;
I won't get upset again because of my emulator's UI limitations, or whatever. Banshaku is right about the Allegro's GUI style and limitations. Just remember that 20 years of work makes a big difference in every aspect. :roll:
Other than that, Mr. Tokumaru, it's all right. :wink:
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

@Zepper

It the code base didn't change much since 5.03 for the UI part I could always try to see how to port to something else but I cannot promise anything since my time is very limited. The emulator has potential since it's been worked for so many years, it just the UI is stuck it the past.

These days I work on windows, mac and linux so the more multi-platform emulators that doesn't require wine, the better.
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

Banshaku wrote:@Zepper

It the code base didn't change much since 5.03 for the UI part I could always try to see how to port to something else but I cannot promise anything since my time is very limited. The emulator has potential since it's been worked for so many years, it just the UI is stuck it the past.

These days I work on windows, mac and linux so the more multi-platform emulators that doesn't require wine, the better.
No problem.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

M_Tee wrote: Honestly, due to my commute, I spend more time playing on Android than anywhere else these days, but I really dislike all of the Android emulators that I've tired.
I also play games on my Android phone. Games are 200% harder on my phone, due to not being able to feel the buttons, and I frequently fail to press the correct button.

No recommendation, but I use NES Nostalgia.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
James

Post by James »

I guess I'll throw in a vote for my own emulator. The a/v sync (no scrolling glitches), the upscaling filter, and the lack of save states (yes, that's a feature) are what I like most about it.
get nemulator
http://nemulator.com
hackfresh

Post by hackfresh »

1. FCEUX - debugging,hacking,playing

2. Nestopia - Really only use this for 2 player netplay gaming only these days. The Tecmo Super Bowl community uses this with kaillera peer to peer to play games against each other.

3. Mesen - keeping this on my watch list due its growing list of features. Haven't had a chance to test its netplay or how stable it is lately. Seemed to have some issues with crashing or not keeping a steady frame-rate before but that might have been the early builds.
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

You see... that's sad, but an expected (partial) result: FCEUX.

People do not care about accuracy, but mostly "a toy to play & mess up the things". Who needs accuracy if the emulator supports TSA runs?
I won't vote in my own emulator for obvious reasons, but yes, it's the only one I use for gameplays. The others are a reference for accuracy and certain behaviour while emulating.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

NESTopia generally, unless I want a debugger or other useful debug features of FCEUX. FCEUX's palette is abysmal.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Just because FCEUX is winning, that doesn't mean it's better than all other emulators in every aspect. FCEUX is certainly inaccurate, but it has so many tools to help with game development and analysis that you just can't ignore it. This is a development forum after all, so I don't find it surprising that the emulator with the best debugging features is ahead in the poll.

I absolutely wish there was an emulator with the 3 things I consider essential:

1- CPU/PPU/APU accuracy;
2- debugging tools;
3- proper video output (correct aspect ratio, NTSC artifacts);

Unfortunately, such an emulator doesn't exist, so I end up having to use 3 different emulators.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

tokumaru wrote:1- CPU/PPU/APU accuracy;
2- debugging tools;
3- proper video output (correct aspect ratio, NTSC artifacts);
Seriously, look again at Mesen.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Mesen might be one of those that required stuff to be installed (C++ runtime?) that my Windows 7 refused to install, so I simply couldn't try it. I'm on Windows 10 now, with all this stuff installed already, so I guess I could give it a try.
hackfresh

Post by hackfresh »

I think its more reasonable to say people don't necessarily care about small differences in accuracy MOST of the time. At that point everything else becomes more important.

When they are concerned they will check things on a more accurate emulator/real hardware.

A somewhat apt analogy is why Ipod's won out over creative labs players. Ipods didn't really have better sound but had a much friendlier use interface, better look, etc. And obviously better marketing. The sound was good enough for most.