Naming emulator forks

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

Naming emulator forks

Post by tepples »

In [url=https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?p=189409#p189409]this post[/url], byuu wrote:I said I don't like it when emulator forks reuse their parent project's name, plus a "better than" suffix
FCE Ultra begat FCEUD, FCEUXD, FCEUXD SP, FCEU-mm, and more, until most were merged into FCEUX. Nestopia begat Nestopia UE (Undead Edition). And your bsnes begat bsnes-plus, a "debug-oriented fork" of bsnes from the 0.7something era, yet you appear to be on good terms with its author.

What's a better naming convention for an emulator fork that adds a particular feature or continues maintenance after the original author has become uncontactable? Does it have to be as different as, say, EGCS (Experimental GNU Compiler System) was from GCC (GNU Compiler Collection)?
Revenant

Re: Naming emulator forks

Post by Revenant »

Fun fact: the name "bsnes-plus" was specifically inspired by PrBoom+. It took me about 2 minutes to come up with.

It wasn't really my intent to suggest that it's "better than" the parent project, but rather that it's just a version of bsnes "plus" some additional things that I thought people would find useful.

Basing it on v073 (or a newer fork of it, rather) was entirely due to personal familiarity, and still having a frontend written using Qt, which I was already using both for hobby and professional purposes.