Best USB NES and Super NES capture devices?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

campertyler

Best USB NES and Super NES capture devices?

Post by campertyler »

An improvement of this question:
What are good devices to record video from the composite output of an NES-001 or the S-Video output of a Super NES into a PC with a high-speed USB port? The video output of these is compatible with NTSC TVs but slightly nonstandard (240p with 262 lines per field, horizontal scan frequency slightly greater than standard 15.734 kHz).
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Re: Best USB NES and Super NES capture devices?

Post by 3gengames »

When you factor in cost, ease of use, etc. Emulators.
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

3gen: Pfft. :P

This is a question I've been wondering about too, though USB isn't a requirement for me. I'm interested in capturing HDMI also, but mostly composite from NTSC and PAL NES.

I haven't ordered it yet, but this is the one I've been leaning towards so far, Elgato HD (not the HD60, it lacks composite):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00840353W/re ... UTF8&psc=1
I'd heard of people using it successfully, I searched on youtube and saw some examples of it recording NES which looked OK enough I guess. I've heard the USB connectors on them break pretty easily though (all too familiar a problem with surface-mount USB connectors). I might just try to buy a broken one and fix it to save a few bucks.

If anyone has any better suggestions though, I'd be interested to hear.

I do have an old PCI vidcap card that works ok with NES. It's from the Win98 era, one time I miraculously got it to work on Win7 64-bit, not sure how I even did it. It's just kind of a pain. Mostly I'm wanting to be able to actually get good video out of my PAL NES, as well as being able to record from an HDMI NES.
calima

Post by calima »

Perhaps your PCI card would work with Linux?
Myask

Post by Myask »

SDA kind of does a lot of this, so their knowledge base has a lot of information; more available on the fora.
https://kb.speeddemosarchive.com/New_Recording_Devices

Easycaps work (for me) and are dirt cheap (<$10, even). The problem is that there're a bunch of clones that aren't necessarily on the same chipset…which meant I had to buy a second, name-brand one that was more expensive to get one that had Linux drivers for sound (I think it's an STK1160? it's been a while since I plugged it in and used it, and I only needed to know once.): a Sabrent USB-AVCPT, @~$50.

https://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Easycap
Nioreh

Post by Nioreh »

I use the Xcapture-1. Expensive, but handles everything from 240p to 1080p. USB3 device. The lag is low enough that I can play directly on the computer screen.