Dank Tomb, Pico-8 game

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

GradualGames

Dank Tomb, Pico-8 game

Post by GradualGames »

Dank Tomb has just been released.

Haven't had a chance to play through it yet, but I am really impressed by this.
Dwedit

Re: Dank Tomb, Pico-8 game

Post by Dwedit »

Jumping is a little wonky, it forces you to be halfway off the platform for jumps to work.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

I think the jumping and the destructing platforms are suffering from the "you need to be the programmer and/or know beforehand how to time this"-itis, because it's infuriating. The visuals are great from what i can tell from the little progress i've made. :oops:

Holding C will result in the following: long jump, then several short auto-jumps.
Releasing C will result in yet another long jump.

This feels unintentional/unnecessary and confusing. :/
GradualGames

Post by GradualGames »

I didn't have that much trouble with it. Probably easier with a controller.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

To be perfectly fair, you adapt after a while, but... i think i'd maybe prefer if the jumps were slightly "too long" over slightly "too short", so that the skill is timing how long i should hold C rather than how close to the edge i must stand.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Yeah it suffers from Megaman 9 pits. There are many pits that you barely make it over with your jumping ability.
FrankenGraphics wrote: Holding C will result in the following: long jump, then several short auto-jumps.
Releasing C will result in yet another long jump.
Yes it has both variable height jumping (which is a good thing) and rapid-fire-jumping (which is a very annoying thing). It would be better to only allow one jump per press.

Other than the jumping the controls are good though, and visually it looks great.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Played through!

The good:
-Very nice graphics and effects
-Very high fun per kB ratio
-Feels like a complete experience within its restrictions.
-Might want to return to get the 7th graal i didn't find.

The bad:
-Sometimes, platforming elements get in the way of puzzles; especially the northernmost one. I'm wondering if it is possible to add one more "magic floor" without breaking the puzzle here.
-Jumping could be better. IMO: Autojump should be disabled. Jumping "height" should be increased just by a little.

Another note:
I'm pretty sure i managed to cheese through a column puzzle by jumping diagonally, cutting through hit detection of two columns placed above and left of me. But it felt like a discovery, so it's not necessarily bad.

Some technical concerns:
You can jump in an upwards diagonal, but you can't jump in a downwards diagonal (when pushing down+l/r, i can't jump. Or, when jumping downards, i have to toggle between down and the other direction to approximate a diagonal move) This might be a laptop/keyboard issue, but it's worth mentioning. It made a few platforming rooms a pain.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Sounds like keyboard ghosting. I guess it could be solved by allowing remapping of keys manually so you can map them to a combination of keys that does not cause ghosting on your particular keyboard.

A solution for the player is to use a gamepad or mechanical keyboard with NKEY rollover.