possible to add backlighting to the original gba screen?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Great Hierophant

Re: possible to add backlighting to the original gba screen?

Post by Great Hierophant »

During the ending of Metroid Fusion, the backlit screen will show a notable difference in one instance than a frontlit or non-lit screen. At the ending, after SR388 is destroyed, you will have a conversation with Adam. In the background, there will be a map showing a cloud of gas where SR388 once was. On an original GBA or a frontlit GBA SP, that cloud will flicker very rapidly. On a backlit GBA, the cloud will show a repeating Venetian Blinds effect instead. I believe this to be an issue with the response time of the panel, with the non-backlit panel being able to respond more quickly. I don't have a GBA Micro or a DS/DS Lite, so I don't know what happens on those screens.
supermario4

Post by supermario4 »

Great Hierophant wrote:During the ending of Metroid Fusion, the backlit screen will show a notable difference in one instance than a frontlit or non-lit screen. At the ending, after SR388 is destroyed, you will have a conversation with Adam. In the background, there will be a map showing a cloud of gas where SR388 once was. On an original GBA or a frontlit GBA SP, that cloud will flicker very rapidly. On a backlit GBA, the cloud will show a repeating Venetian Blinds effect instead. I believe this to be an issue with the response time of the panel, with the non-backlit panel being able to respond more quickly. I don't have a GBA Micro or a DS/DS Lite, so I don't know what happens on those screens.
that's the reason why i want to know if someone is making or will make a new modern backlit screen using leds etc.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Great Hierophant wrote:On an original GBA or a frontlit GBA SP, that cloud will flicker very rapidly. On a backlit GBA, the cloud will show a repeating Venetian Blinds effect instead. I believe this to be an issue with the response time of the panel, with the non-backlit panel being able to respond more quickly.
The backlighting kits for the original GBA did not change the panel.

You're witnessing the flicker fusion threshold.

I posted a high-speed video of the flickering at the end of Castlevania: Circle of the Moon here (550KiB GIF) on an original GBA under a bright halogen.
Myask

Post by Myask »

tepples wrote:
Dwedit wrote:You only really need the original GBA for Wario Ware Twisted, due to geometry.
The front of the Twisted! box shows a Game Boy Advance SP system. I was under the impression that it could be operated in either orientation. And if it works on an SP, it should work on a Game Boy micro, a Nintendo DS, or a Nintendo DS Lite.

Kirby Tilt 'n Tumble, on the other hand, does need a Game Boy Color or an original Game Boy Advance.
Oh, it functions. IT's just that it's harder to do full-spins as some games require and re-grab half of the hinged, long side than it is to grasp the rounded ends of the GBA.
supermario4

Post by supermario4 »

i wish someone could put a backlight in the gba fat's screen.
Great Hierophant

Post by Great Hierophant »

lidnariq wrote:
Great Hierophant wrote:On an original GBA or a frontlit GBA SP, that cloud will flicker very rapidly. On a backlit GBA, the cloud will show a repeating Venetian Blinds effect instead. I believe this to be an issue with the response time of the panel, with the non-backlit panel being able to respond more quickly.
The backlighting kits for the original GBA did not change the panel.

You're witnessing the flicker fusion threshold.

I posted a high-speed video of the flickering at the end of Castlevania: Circle of the Moon here (550KiB GIF) on an original GBA under a bright halogen.
Actually, I may have to strike what I said. I got to that point with both my Afterburner-mod frontlit GBA and my GBA SP, and the behavior of the effect was identical. Both show the slow redraw shown here : https://youtu.be/_zf3Eh0Tx5c?list=PLcdB ... qQy&t=1216

When I first played Metroid Fusion, I had a different GBA than I had now, and it certainly was not modded. (Took me over a decade to work up the courage to do it.) I remember that I imported my GBA from Japan for some bizarre reason, so it was probably an earlier unit. Anyway, my memories of the effect persist, but who knows? It could be a false memory for all I know.
supermario4

Post by supermario4 »

is there no gba 2017 made screen mods really? :(
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

The GBA launched in 2001, and the GBA SP in 2003. The final game was published in the US in November 2008 ... honestly, I'm surprised you can even still get replacement GBA LCDs.
supermario4

Post by supermario4 »

the reason i ask is i want a 60hz screen with a perfect backlight
tepples

Post by tepples »

GameCube + Game Boy Player + any LCD HDTV without excessive lag on its S-Video input
Rahsennor

Post by Rahsennor »

tepples wrote:LCD HDTV without excessive lag on its S-Video input
Error: device not found.
supermario4

Post by supermario4 »

really no one has an answer for me :(
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Well, you can't add backlighting to the original screen, but you can replace the screen with one that has a backlight built in. However, good luck finding one that's not just from the AGS-101 (This video details one, but says they're no longer in production... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NZaRSQ__jE). However, it is entirely possible to add a frontlight, although it's way sloppier (requires cutting plastic, ripping off foam covers, etc...) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPvqIwZc3kE
supermario4

Post by supermario4 »

well this sucks is the super retro boy going to be good or is it basically crap?
supermario4

Post by supermario4 »

anyone have an answer for me on ^^