It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:35 pm
Posts: 615
During the ending of Metroid Fusion, the backlit screen will show a notable difference in one instance than a frontlit or non-lit screen. At the ending, after SR388 is destroyed, you will have a conversation with Adam. In the background, there will be a map showing a cloud of gas where SR388 once was. On an original GBA or a frontlit GBA SP, that cloud will flicker very rapidly. On a backlit GBA, the cloud will show a repeating Venetian Blinds effect instead. I believe this to be an issue with the response time of the panel, with the non-backlit panel being able to respond more quickly. I don't have a GBA Micro or a DS/DS Lite, so I don't know what happens on those screens.

_________________
Nerdly Pleasures - My Vintage Video Game & Computing Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:33 pm
Posts: 57
Great Hierophant wrote:
During the ending of Metroid Fusion, the backlit screen will show a notable difference in one instance than a frontlit or non-lit screen. At the ending, after SR388 is destroyed, you will have a conversation with Adam. In the background, there will be a map showing a cloud of gas where SR388 once was. On an original GBA or a frontlit GBA SP, that cloud will flicker very rapidly. On a backlit GBA, the cloud will show a repeating Venetian Blinds effect instead. I believe this to be an issue with the response time of the panel, with the non-backlit panel being able to respond more quickly. I don't have a GBA Micro or a DS/DS Lite, so I don't know what happens on those screens.


that's the reason why i want to know if someone is making or will make a new modern backlit screen using leds etc.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:12 am
Posts: 6287
Location: Seattle
Great Hierophant wrote:
On an original GBA or a frontlit GBA SP, that cloud will flicker very rapidly. On a backlit GBA, the cloud will show a repeating Venetian Blinds effect instead. I believe this to be an issue with the response time of the panel, with the non-backlit panel being able to respond more quickly.
The backlighting kits for the original GBA did not change the panel.

You're witnessing the flicker fusion threshold.

I posted a high-speed video of the flickering at the end of Castlevania: Circle of the Moon here (550KiB GIF) on an original GBA under a bright halogen.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:04 pm
Posts: 936
tepples wrote:
Dwedit wrote:
You only really need the original GBA for Wario Ware Twisted, due to geometry.

The front of the Twisted! box shows a Game Boy Advance SP system. I was under the impression that it could be operated in either orientation. And if it works on an SP, it should work on a Game Boy micro, a Nintendo DS, or a Nintendo DS Lite.

Kirby Tilt 'n Tumble, on the other hand, does need a Game Boy Color or an original Game Boy Advance.

Oh, it functions. IT's just that it's harder to do full-spins as some games require and re-grab half of the hinged, long side than it is to grasp the rounded ends of the GBA.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:33 pm
Posts: 57
i wish someone could put a backlight in the gba fat's screen.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:35 pm
Posts: 615
lidnariq wrote:
Great Hierophant wrote:
On an original GBA or a frontlit GBA SP, that cloud will flicker very rapidly. On a backlit GBA, the cloud will show a repeating Venetian Blinds effect instead. I believe this to be an issue with the response time of the panel, with the non-backlit panel being able to respond more quickly.
The backlighting kits for the original GBA did not change the panel.

You're witnessing the flicker fusion threshold.

I posted a high-speed video of the flickering at the end of Castlevania: Circle of the Moon here (550KiB GIF) on an original GBA under a bright halogen.


Actually, I may have to strike what I said. I got to that point with both my Afterburner-mod frontlit GBA and my GBA SP, and the behavior of the effect was identical. Both show the slow redraw shown here : https://youtu.be/_zf3Eh0Tx5c?list=PLcdB ... qQy&t=1216

When I first played Metroid Fusion, I had a different GBA than I had now, and it certainly was not modded. (Took me over a decade to work up the courage to do it.) I remember that I imported my GBA from Japan for some bizarre reason, so it was probably an earlier unit. Anyway, my memories of the effect persist, but who knows? It could be a false memory for all I know.

_________________
Nerdly Pleasures - My Vintage Video Game & Computing Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:33 pm
Posts: 57
is there no gba 2017 made screen mods really? :(


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:12 am
Posts: 6287
Location: Seattle
The GBA launched in 2001, and the GBA SP in 2003. The final game was published in the US in November 2008 ... honestly, I'm surprised you can even still get replacement GBA LCDs.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:33 pm
Posts: 57
the reason i ask is i want a 60hz screen with a perfect backlight


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:12 pm
Posts: 19110
Location: NE Indiana, USA (NTSC)
GameCube + Game Boy Player + any LCD HDTV without excessive lag on its S-Video input


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:09 am
Posts: 284
tepples wrote:
LCD HDTV without excessive lag on its S-Video input

Error: device not found.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:33 pm
Posts: 57
really no one has an answer for me :(


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:35 pm
Posts: 3074
Location: Nacogdoches, Texas
Well, you can't add backlighting to the original screen, but you can replace the screen with one that has a backlight built in. However, good luck finding one that's not just from the AGS-101 (This video details one, but says they're no longer in production... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NZaRSQ__jE). However, it is entirely possible to add a frontlight, although it's way sloppier (requires cutting plastic, ripping off foam covers, etc...) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPvqIwZc3kE


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:33 pm
Posts: 57
well this sucks is the super retro boy going to be good or is it basically crap?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:33 pm
Posts: 57
anyone have an answer for me on ^^


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FrankenGraphics and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group