Zelda was hard...

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

adam_smasher

Re: Zelda was hard...

Post by adam_smasher »

Hearts in Castlevania are for your subweapon. Hold up while attacking.

Also it's not overrated, you're just bad at it :P
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Fisher wrote:If we count correctess, DecapAttack has one of the most correct symbols for health. :P
makes mental note that Fisher may have multiple hearts...
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Well Castlevania isn't the number one best game for NES, but still one of the better games, I don't think it's overated at all.
Older games are short compared to modern games, so their life depends on them being challenging. If the games were too easy you'd get bored of them much faster. One problem with arcade machines was that arcade machines wouldn't earn so much money anymore as players got better at the games, this resulted in harder and harder arcade games (mind that arcade versions of games are usually already much harder than the home versions).
tepples wrote:
DementedPurple wrote:I find it annoying that hearts don't give you health. I mean, I guess that maybe hearts weren't yet the standard symbol for health, but I can't seem to figure out what they do.
Nowadays in the "wiki for everything" era, Strategy Wiki's page for Castlevania II implies that they do the same thing rupees do in The Legend of Zelda: you buy some items with them, and some weapons consume them.
Well in all Castlevania games hearts are used as subweapon ammunition (I thought this was strange back in the day too). Only Dracula II uses them as money as well as ammunition (the weakest subweapons costs no hearts in this game though), and you also get the experience points for the defeated enemy when you pick up the dropped heart. Dracula X and its sequel uses the money bags as money, and after Magic Points were introduced into the series the MP was eventually merged with the hearts (since they where used for very similar things anyway). So in newer Castlevania games, hearts recovers magic and not life, talk about being counterintuitive!

By the way Kid Icarus also uses hearts as money (which I also thought was strange back in the day). I imagine that they are demon hearts, that Pit extracts from his slayed enemies, and that are highly sought-after items among gods and demons alike, to the point that they can be used as money.
Myask

Post by Myask »

Fisher wrote:
DementedPurple wrote: I guess that maybe hearts weren't yet the standard symbol for health
If we count correctess, DecapAttack has one of the most correct symbols for health. :P
Decap Attack is a shining golden idol of localization.
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

rainwarrior wrote:Fisher may have multiple hearts
Unfortunatelly not :-(. But I really would like to!
Would be very nice to have a heart to my parents, a heart for the kids, wife...
But I guess a heart attack would be complicated. :P
Myask wrote:Decap Attack is a shining golden idol of localization.
Yeah. It gets pretty easier if you use a turbo controller.
I found the way you recover energy on the poles hilarious!! :lol:

By the way, Metroid, a pretty complex and difficult game (if you don't have any idea of what to do), was named this way because the creators wanted something that sounded like "metro" and "android" (font: OCWeekly here, on item 2).
The protagonist's name was given in homage to one of the programmer's favorite soccer player: Pelé, wich he tought was "Samus Arantes do Nascimento" (font: Wikipedia, here on "Conception and Development").
Later, he found that the real first name of his idol was in fact Edson, and not Samus.
Curiously, Pelé was born on the city of Três Corações on the state of Minas Gerais, that if you translate to english becomes "Three Hearts" and "General Mines" (font: Wikipedia, here on "Early Years").
Guess I have enough stuff to create another crazy and useless conspiration theory! :shock:

Sorry if I got too much off-topic :oops: , I just tought this Metroid history would be interesting and kind of funny... :mrgreen:
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

It's kinda early to call Castlevania "overrated" if you don't know what the hearts do (they are kinda super important), and you somehow figured the game doesn't have 1ups (it has two kinds of them) :P

I actually feel like the first CV is severely underrated. It was probably the first true "killer-app" for the NES that wasn't produced by Nintendo, and it still stands strong today.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

and you somehow figured the game doesn't have 1ups (it has two kinds of them) :P
You mean the one you get when your scrore reaches x200000 and the one you get when your score reach x800000 ?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

No, I mean the score based ones (that you mention) and the hidden ones you can pick up on the stages (they are pretty obscure to be honest, and some only appear on the second loop). I always get the one on death's stage though.

Btw, you can point press to absurd levels on the first stage by killing 3+ zombies with a single holy water over and over again, if you want to force getting the first score based extend early.