Midwest Gaming Classic 2017 report

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Memblers
Site Admin

Midwest Gaming Classic 2017 report

Post by Memblers »

I guess I should start posting about the MGC event on here more often, I've been attending it annually since 2011 and there are increasingly more NES developers showing up there.

It's a retro-gaming convention in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The 2017 event was last weekend.
https://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
(fun fact: in that "Family Day" picture on the main page, the CRT in the background is my long-time NES dev'ing TV, and the guy with his kids is a NESdev forum member)

This year I hauled my Playchoice up there, which was interesting, and worked pretty well. I ended up only using my NROM boards, because my Playchoice GTROM boards which I had just prototyped were having some issues writing to the game instruction ROM through the adapter I had made. Since that showed up at the last minute I kind rushed to fill it up with NROM stuff, I asked a few people for permission and others I just threw on there and hoped they wouldn't mind.

I was hoping the Playchoice's built-in bookkeeping features would work with these, normally they show how many times each game has been played, but it seems with these, using the Playchoice instruction ROM assembler in no$nes, it bypasses the security checks but unfortunately also the bookkeeping. Since a lot of my friends I rarely see, and new people, were there at the event I ended up hanging out with them and not really demo'ing the games to anyone in person.

The games I had in there were these:
MGC2011 Homebrew Showcase
Super Uwol
Armed for Battle
Super Tilt Bro. - this game would crash when played and Playchoice would remove it from the list, not sure why
Zooming Secretary
Zombie Calavera Prologue - this cart did not work for some reason, will investigate why later
Karate Kick - this cart did not work either, probably same mysterious reason as above, PC10 just would not detect them
Nebs 'n Debs
City Trouble
Double Action Blaster Guys

Here are a few pictures from the event:

Jeff and Kyle from VGBS Podcast play the rarest of all NES versions of Tetris
IMG_7469_reduced.jpg
IMG_7463_reduced.jpg
IMG_7465_reduced.jpg
Super Uwol saw some nice 2-player action
IMG_7466_reduced.jpg
Starman stopped by while I was having lunch. Maybe he can do a flip-kick, but he can't eat a cheese stick while in-costume.
IMG_7467_reduced.jpg
20170408_100642_reduced.jpg
These cabinets are awesome.
20170408_100630_reduced.jpg
Pretty neat to play this game with a VB controller. And that TV is awesome.
20170408_100617_reduced.jpg
New Power Pad game! It's basically cornhole for the NES, played with bean bags. What was really cool, was that the organizer of MGC event actually gave an award to the developer of this game (trophy and everything) for "Best in show: restoration or mod". What's surprising is that these awards normally only go to arcade and pinball stuff, which there is a ton of at the show. But surprisingly, an NES game won! Very cool.
20170408_100536_reduced.jpg
DRW

Re: Midwest Gaming Classic 2017 report

Post by DRW »

Do you have a picture of a scene from "City Trouble" on the PC10? I'd like to show it to my graphics artist.
My game "City Trouble":
Gameplay video: https://youtu.be/Eee0yurkIW4
Download (ROM, manual, artworks): http://www.denny-r-walter.de/city.html
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

I didn't get very many pictures at the show, but I'm planning on getting more photos of the games and instruction screens I quickly made up for a few of them (including City Trouble). But I still haven't moved the cabinet back into it's place, soon I will be getting some help to move it down the stairs.
pubby

Post by pubby »

Damn. I wish I would have known about this. I would have been able to attend.

That Starman cosplay is hilarious, by the way.