It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:31 pm 

Well at least the processor is almost right: both the Gam-Boy and the Game Boy use 8080 variants (Zilog Z80 and Sharp LR35902 respectively).

If only Samsung would sell an official controller for its current game system (Galaxy S series)...

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:23 pm 

The NES was the Hyundai Comboy in Korea. It seems the Korean naming sense is fairly distinctive... yeah, that must be it...

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:28 pm 

tepples wrote:
If only Samsung would sell an official controller for its current game system (Galaxy S series)...

It does actually.
The discussion of this thread has more or less steered off topic though, so should we split it into a discussion about foreign (licensed or not) clone systems/pirated carts/whatever or is it okay to continue? (The original topic was some what casual talk though, so I think it's not bad even if we don't split the topic.)

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:49 am 

tokumaru wrote:
Brazil was under a military dictatorship until the early 80's, and I believe that had a great impact on the importing of merchandise. Even to this day, import taxes are extremely high, presumably to boost the national industry.

What are your import taxes at now?

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:03 am 

60% of product + shipping, I believe. Packages cheaper than US$50 are supposedly free of this, but the customs don't always respect that. They'll also tax packages based on how much THEY think the items are worth, if they suspect the declared value isn't correct.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:24 am 

I think they were able to get away with that name because Samsung was not only working with Sega but also with Nintendo, so they had rights to both the Sega Master System and Game Boy.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:09 pm 

Gilbert wrote:
The discussion of this thread has more or less steered off topic though, so should we split it into a discussion about foreign (licensed or not) clone systems/pirated carts/whatever or is it okay to continue? (The original topic was some what casual talk though, so I think it's not bad even if we don't split the topic.)

I think there's enough to discuss on this topic to give it its own thread, so I made one to reply to the most recent message.

http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15907