It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:29 pm 

I expect China is well past where you hit diseconomies of scale, too.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:01 pm 

Speaking of which, JonTron made a video making fun of a bunch of these Chinese consoles, you can find it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHepjitYJmM (Contains swearing) I thought it was funny, but it's best I not spoil anything that happens because that would ruin your reactions.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:21 pm 

What confuses me is that the Power Kracker is still be produced today, and has been since at least 2014. How has Nintendo not caught this yet? It's not only a clone system, but also has dozens of copyrighted Nintendo games built in. Maybe they do know about this, but just haven't gotten around to taking legal action yet.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:33 pm 

There's nothing illegal about cloning the hardware anymore, all patents have already expired. The software, on the other hand...

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:09 pm 

There is another series of handheld games (Although technically aren't illegal and aren't famiclones) that really confuses me. If you've been on YouTube in the early days then you probably know who Ashens is. He basically buys a bunch of these consoles called POP-Stations which tend to almost always have similar designs to the PSP. Now they have quite a bunch of different PSP rip-offs, but don't get fooled, they all use the same LCDs that were only slightly impressive on the Game-And-Watch games back in 1980, and get this. They all only play the exact same 5 games (Approximately) which I can't quite wrap my head around. It's not like the famiclones where it's at least a bunch of different people making them, this is the same company! That would be like if Nintendo had all of there consoles rip-offs of other consoles, and they all played the same 5 game and watch games. These POP-Station people even were crazy enough to make a game about 9/11... Here's a link to a picture (I'd probably get banned if I showed this picture)https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b2/Laden_VS_USA.jpg/250px-Laden_VS_USA.jpg
The fact that there is someone out there who is sick enough to even think that this was a good idea scares me a little bit. They even used pictures that convey the painful death of thousands of people, and they decide to make a children's game about that!

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:41 pm 

LCD games are cheap and they sell and sometimes kids are interested in them. I had a Gameboy growing up, but I also wanted (and got for christmas) a Pro 200, which is a tetris-screen-based LCD multi-game.

I also wanted a Sega Pico, but didn't get one. :( I did get a Vtech Video Painter though, so that was pretty nice, even though our family had a SNES. :P

Anyway, point is, they may be cheap LCD games, and while they may not be alternatives to other video game systems, they are indeed a video game system of their own.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:43 pm 

I had a Pro 200. And I'm pretty sure of what ended up killing that sort of 10x20-pixel block game: successful customs seizures on behalf of The Tetris Company.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:10 am 

I had a friend who rode the bus with me to school, and his Grandma was cheap on his birthday, and instead of getting him the real games for his 3ds, she instead bought him a bunch of these Game-And-Watch games for only a couple of bucks each, and he honestly thought they were crap, so he would take one on the bus each day and say that he was going to play with it, and then he would give them to me knowing I kind of had a thing for crappy LCDs, I don't think his mom ever found out to this day.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:36 am 

DementedPurple wrote:
These POP-Station people even were crazy enough to make a game about 9/11... Here's a link to a picture (I'd probably get banned if I showed this picture)https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b2/Laden_VS_USA.jpg/250px-Laden_VS_USA.jpg
The fact that there is someone out there who is sick enough to even think that this was a good idea scares me a little bit. They even used pictures that convey the painful death of thousands of people, and they decide to make a children's game about that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNbY60Y6LWM

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:31 pm 

Punch wrote:
DementedPurple wrote:
These POP-Station people even were crazy enough to make a game about 9/11... Here's a link to a picture (I'd probably get banned if I showed this picture)https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b2/Laden_VS_USA.jpg/250px-Laden_VS_USA.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNbY60Y6LWM

Attachments:
YLQZviH.gif.cf.gif
YLQZviH.gif.cf.gif [ 1.19 MiB | Viewed 124 times ]