Misheard voice acting in retro games

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

Re: Misheard voice acting in retro games

Post by tepples »

Memblers wrote:Ah, this thread is hilarious. The ones I remember right now aren't as funny, but Starfox is one. I always thought it sounded like Falco was saying "dammit wing dammit". Though I heard later that all the in-game voices were built from the "wing damaged" sample, so that makes sense now.
Which turns Fox's "All ships check in!" into "Goddammit, damn dammit, damn damn".
Ryu and Ken definitely say "sure you can!", almost mockingly because I had a really hard time doing that move on the controller.
That and ↓↙←K = "You big fat palooka!" Remembering this is doubly funny now that I'm on a Discord server with the Tatsumaki bot.
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

I remember people around here called Mizoguchi, from Fighter's History, of "Miss Yogurt".
TmEE

Post by TmEE »

I always heard "grand upper" in Streets of Rage 2 as "grandma paw"
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

"Tatsumaki Senpukyaku" is compressed in such a short sample that there's no way anyone can get that right. Combined with my total lack of knowledge of the japanese language at the time, I was torn between "Ataque das Corujas" ("Attack of the Owls") and "Ataque das Tartarugas" ("Attack of the Turtles"). I knew it wasn't that, but since those sounded like Kung Fu techniques or something, it made some sense to use those names.
tepples

Post by tepples »

blah blah beat the Jew blah marshmallow power blah great pizza
Fisher wrote:On most of MegaDrive's games, the voice actors seemed to have some kind of laryngitis.
That's because the Z80 had to do the ordinary music engine and what is essentially NES $4011 at the same time.
tokumaru wrote:Ataque das Tartarugas
Particularly the fact that a lot of people got into fighting games via beat-em-ups such as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II through IV.
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

I remember on Streets of Rage 1 I played with Axel and the jump kick voice was like someone on the dentist that was asked to say "ah".
On the second version, Blaze sound like saying "Zigoto" or "Que porco" (What a pig) on her special attack.
The double directional attack sounded like "Que confusão" (What a mess).

Top Gun 2 sounded like "Decolar" (Take off) or "Pincelar" (Swab).
The game over voice sounde like "Bem podre" (very rotten) or "Tem ovo" (Have egg).

I've remembered the name of some others MegaDrive game with fine voices Aladdin had very clean ones, Global Gladiators too.
Altered Beast had some fine too, at least that I remember... I may be confusing it with the arcade version.
I guess that was more based on the programmer's knowledge about the sound chip / architecture to make good voice clips.
Even the Street Fighter versions had a big laryngitis! The first Golden Axe voices really had it too!!

Turtles IV on SNES really impressed me back in the day!!
Gilbert

Post by Gilbert »

Fisher wrote: Altered Beast had some fine too, at least that I remember... I may be confusing it with the arcade version.
The voice samples in this game, especially the first "Rice from your grapes!", had reached memetic level though(I think this applies to every single version that includes voices, e.g the original arcade version, the Mega Drive version and the PCE CD (not HuCard) version). It's just too funny that this and other hilarities made this originally not very good game a so-bad-it's-good cult-classic guilty pleasure.
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

Does Ryu say "Tatsumaki Senpu Kyaku" on his "Hurricane Kick"? :shock:
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Yup.
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

I remember that on MegaDrive's Fatal Fury 1 I (mis)understood the voices of the "projectiles" and even built a dialog:
Joe Higashi: "Ando ganhando pouco" (I'm earning little).
Andy Bogard: "Duvido!" (I doubt it!).
Terry Bogard: "Por mim!" (I don't care!).
Michael Max: "Nem comenta!" (Don't even comment!).
Gilbert wrote:had reached memetic level
I think I'm with other game in mind... I must check it out.
The most difficult thing for me now is to remember the game's name, since the weird voices are recorded on my mind and probably I'll never forget!! :P
DRW

Post by DRW »

Zepper wrote:Does Ryu say "Tatsumaki Senpu Kyaku" on his "Hurricane Kick"? :shock:
tokumaru wrote:Yup.
Not really. That's the actual name, yes. But the voice sample in the game is too short to be the full thing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axV4iFiuDmE&t=1m59s

And it's not just an issue of the way the Japanese language is spoken. Because this is what "Tatsumaki Senpu Kyaku" actually sounds like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zLargo1jYk&t=1h29m59s

Here, he clearly says "Tatsumaki Senpu Kyaku" and it sounds pretty much like you would imagine it from the writing.
The voice sample in the game on the other hand does not sound like the full name.
My game "City Trouble":
Gameplay video: https://youtu.be/Eee0yurkIW4
Download (ROM, manual, artworks): http://www.denny-r-walter.de/city.html
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

The chief difference between the two is that Ken elongates the "ku" at the end. That kind of thing is more or less optional for emphasis. Plus, if it's not elongated in the original, precious sample ROM space is saved.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

DRW wrote:Not really. That's the actual name, yes. But the voice sample in the game is too short to be the full thing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axV4iFiuDmE&t=1m59s
I don't know what you're talking about, the whole thing is there... It's just the last syllable that for some reason sounds like "tsu" rather than "ku", but that clip definitely contains the whole thing. Also, coming from the arcade, I think that's much clearer than what we had in the home versions.
And it's not just an issue of the way the Japanese language is spoken. Because this is what "Tatsumaki Senpu Kyaku" actually sounds like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zLargo1jYk&t=1h29m59s
Yeah, when Ryu said it in the anime series (I really LOVE this episode BTW) he also stretched the end a bit ("kuuuu"), something the game probably tried to avoid to save ROM space. But other than that, it's the exact same thing as in the game.
The voice sample in the game on the other hand does not sound like the full name.
Maybe it's an anglophone thing, but yes it does (apart from the "tsu" in the end instead of "ku").
DRW

Post by DRW »

My issue is not whether the "ku" in the end is prolonged or not.

I just don't hear "Tatsumaki Senpu Kyaku" in the in-game sample. To me, it sounds something like: "Tats daik daik de rookat".
Anyway, it sounds like six syllables while "Tatsumaki Senpu Kyaku" are nine syllables. But in the anime, I can hear all of the nine syllables clearly.
My game "City Trouble":
Gameplay video: https://youtu.be/Eee0yurkIW4
Download (ROM, manual, artworks): http://www.denny-r-walter.de/city.html
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

DRW wrote:I just don't hear "Tatsumaki Senpu Kyaku" in the in-game sample.
Well, keep trying, it's all there.
To me, it sounds something like: "Tats daik daik de rookat".
That's actually pretty close to my memories of "Ataque das Corujas" or "Ataque das Tartarugas" (or just plain "tahk tahk turuuugen") I mentioned before, but I can't for the life of me hear it like that anymore. Knowing what it's supposed to be and studying japanese probably ruined it foe me! :lol: