It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:47 pm 

Well, I think I've got everything I need, I plan to add this to the 2017 Compo.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:47 pm 

Zutano wrote:
Just download the FTM file and use FamiTone2 to import directly into your NES project

...and get permission from its author to use it, of course.

(There's also 73k of DPCM samples in that FTM. You'll need to remove them to get it to work in FamiTone2, unless you want to add support for bankswitching somehow.)

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:36 pm 

Also note that an entry using a musical composition by a songwriter in the mainstream music or TV industry will not be eligible for inclusion on the multicart.

"We Are Number One" written by Máni Svatersson for LTS Garðbær Studios, now part of Turner Broadcasting.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:35 pm 

tepples wrote:
Also note that an entry using a musical composition by a songwriter in the mainstream music or TV industry will not be eligible for inclusion on the multicart.

"We Are Number One" written by Máni Svatersson for LTS Garðbær Studios, now part of Turner Broadcasting.

Oh, I'll try to come up with something more original then. Speaking of which, would we be allowed to partner with somebody? I'd be a good programmer, but I kinda suck when it comes to designing an actual game.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:38 pm 

Teams are allowed.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:27 pm 

The main reason that I'm choosing to manually type in all of the code is simply because of lack of knowledge. I read on the FamiTracker wiki that it has some sort of importer that allows you to import NSF files and put them into FSM files or something like that. But that's not what I'm trying to do, I'm trying to somehow make the NSF play in my ROM alongside with all of my graphics and animations, which I can't find any information about when doing a Google search. I also don't understand how I would import the DPCM samples on the ROM using Tokumaru's NROM template.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:31 pm 

That's a good question.

You can play NSF files inside a game/demo.

This question was asked before on the forum, let me see if I can find it...

Edit...here's one...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14380&p=173138

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:48 pm 

The simplest thing you can do is incbin the NSF itself, which contains the player and the songs, at the "load address" indicated in the NSF's header. Then you can simply put the song number in the accumulator and call the NSF's "init address", also specified in the header. Finally, call the "play address" (also specified in the header) once per frame.

The main drawback is you're stuck with the ROM and RAM layout the NSF needs, and you can only use what the NSF doesn't use. Not a big deal in simple programs, but definitely bad if you're making something bigger and need more control over the memory layout.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:23 am 

So what you're saying is that basically an NSF file is basically a glorified ROM with code but no graphics? If so, I could probably disassemble it and edit the code so it works with my ROM, but that would be impractical, because there's nothing more nightmarish then editing someone else's uncommented assembly code.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:59 am 

DementedPurple wrote:
So what you're saying is that basically an NSF file is basically a glorified ROM with code but no graphics? If so, I could probably disassemble it and edit the code so it works with my ROM, but that would be impractical, because there's nothing more nightmarish then editing someone else's uncommented assembly code.

Yes NSF is intended to be emulated as an NES with (optionally) no PPU.

If it's made in Famitracker, the source code is available, you don't need to go in blind.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:43 pm 

If you can make it in Famitracker it will most likely be usable in an actual NES console, esp. if you're not planning to do any difficult tricks with the music and/or everything else (graphics, input, etc.) that requires CPU time. Prefer Famitracker "source code" than a NSF file, it'll be a lot easier for you.

dougeff wrote:
There is a Japanese saying... I think it's 'Muzukashii to omoimasu'...which translates to something like 'it would be difficult'. Not just the music part, but all of your plan.

But, they say, a journey of 1000 miles begins with one step. (-Lao tzu)

Take it slowly.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:06 pm 

I don't understand your gif, punch. Did I mistranslate? The concept was supposed to be a polite way of saying 'no'.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:07 pm 

dougeff wrote:
I don't understand your gif, punch. Did I mistranslate? The concept was supposed to be a polite way of saying 'no'.

It's a Metal Gear Solid reference, don't tell me you've never played it, come on. :P
The character I'm referring to has 90% of her dialog composed of proverbs and such.