Your thoughts on destroying a working arcade machine?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

DementedPurple

Your thoughts on destroying a working arcade machine?

Post by DementedPurple »

There is this video where they destroy a classic arcade machine that's in great condition, too. Here is the video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9tHPyIcCLA I honestly found this extremely disturbing mainly because they did this right after the creator of Pac-Man died. Way to give a tribute.
tepples

Re: What are your thoughts on this?

Post by tepples »

Is it OK for me to make the subject clearer?
DementedPurple

Re: What are your thoughts on this?

Post by DementedPurple »

Sure
tokumaru

Re: Your thoughts on destroying a working arcade machine?

Post by tokumaru »

I'm slightly bothered by people destroying stuff, but in practice it shouldn't make any difference to me whether the machine is destroyed or sitting in someone's basement.
Jedi QuestMaster

Post by Jedi QuestMaster »

It bothers me every time I see someone smash a CRT screen. Do people not realize there's lead in there?

If I had my own place, I'd snatch up every working CRT TV I could find on the curb. My pet peeve.
DementedPurple

Post by DementedPurple »

I'm pretty annoyed, and probably more annoyed then I should be, but it just absolutely disturbing that someone took a chainsaw to an important piece of history. I know, it's only one machine, and there were at least a million manufactured, but just going to keep losing them to those people who make those "60 in 1" cabinets. These 60-in-1 machines are such a big problem where I live, that everywhere that once had original arcade machines sold all of their original arcade machines to get this one with multiple games that probably isn't even legal. Now call me old school, but I like playing on original, non-pirated machines, and I don't know how these companies haven't caught on to this guy and taken legal action.
Drag

Post by Drag »

Jedi QuestMaster wrote:It bothers me every time I see someone smash a CRT screen. Do people not realize there's lead in there?

If I had my own place, I'd snatch up every working CRT TV I could find on the curb. My pet peeve.
To build a wall of TVs and then crash through it with a motorbike?

On topic: It bothers me more when something unpreserved (like a prototype or something unreleased, on eproms) winds up just sitting in somebody's collection, and I think there are some collectors who know this and do it on purpose.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

They destroyed it to get a million views on YouTube. You may not like it, but you're actually helping them by sharing that link. (Adsense doesn't care whether you liked the video or hated it, as long as you watched and got advertised to.)

I think it's a waste, personally, but I don't really care that much if someone else wants to make waste like this. If it was something rare or unknown, sure, but this is Pac-Man. There's still plenty of those around in collections, well preserved and maintained.
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

With it having so many views, I suppose it's possible that seeing that might influence someone to preserve or restore a game sometime in the future (that would be neglected otherwise), and balance would be restored. Who knows.

There are a lot of worse stories you can hear from arcade collectors. One common theme seems to be where an arcade route operator (think someone who puts a few games each in dozens of locations, rather than a big arcade building) will own hundreds of games, when one breaks down if it doesn't make enough money they'll put it in storage rather than fix it. Then they won't sell it to anyone, in fear of creating competition for their business. And it will just sit in a warehouse where it eventually gets wet, rats nest in it, the roof caves in on it, etc.. My own story like that was a few years ago there was a warehouse selling all their games not far from me. They listed Konami's Life Force, and Haunted Castle, with some water damage, I'd take those for $150. I looked up their location.. it's right next to a river. He ended up selling the entire lot to one guy anyways, and that guy said almost all of the cabinets were ruined, moldy and crumbling apart. Like 3+ semi trailer loads worth of cabinets.

Pinball was illegal in some places, you can find old pictures of city officials standing near piles of smashed pinball machines. Even in Chicago, which was pretty much the capitol of pinball manufacturing. It was surreal listening to an interview with Steve Kordek (who started his career in the 1930s) talking about times the factory bosses thought police were looking around nearby so they'd shut all the lights off and tell everyone to be quiet. OK they're gone, get back to work. Obviously in later years they made them legit, for export only before it was legalized.
GradualGames

Post by GradualGames »

Memblers wrote: almost all of the cabinets were ruined, moldy and crumbling apart. Like 3+ semi trailer loads worth of cabinets.
This sounds like a fun idea for a horror movie: a huge creepy dark warehouse full of ancient zombie arcade machines. LATE AT NIGHT, ONE OF THEM STILL WORKS
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Googling showed me nothing about the creator of Pacman ,Toru Iwatani, having died. But the Namco founder Masaya Nakamura apparently did back in January.
DementedPurple

Post by DementedPurple »

Pokun wrote:Googling showed me nothing about the creator of Pacman ,Toru Iwatani, having died. But the Namco founder Masaya Nakamura apparently did back in January.
Whoops, my bad. I must have confused the two. I should get my facts straight.
DementedPurple

Post by DementedPurple »

GradualGames wrote:
Memblers wrote: almost all of the cabinets were ruined, moldy and crumbling apart. Like 3+ semi trailer loads worth of cabinets.
This sounds like a fun idea for a horror movie: a huge creepy dark warehouse full of ancient zombie arcade machines. LATE AT NIGHT, ONE OF THEM STILL WORKS
Still sounds like a better movie then Pixels... I'd actually pay real money to go see that. And to bring that Pac-Man machine back from the dead they have to score 10,000 points only to find out that they disabled the extra lives with the DIP switches. Now that's a real horror movie.
Punch

Post by Punch »

This is the most pointless and offensive promotional video for a stupid mobile app I've ever seen in my entire life.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
GradualGames

Post by GradualGames »

Flat earthers, Bill Nye, and now this. I'm starting to think social media is literally going to be the thing that destroys all of human civilization. :lol: Like...people making obscene amounts of ad revenue on Youtube by...destroying things? Effed up. How the hell does this guy have 4m subscribers? I don't have words.