It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:37 pm 

93143 wrote:
SMB is a bit funny with how it handles acceleration and jumping. As psycopathicteen said, it's harder to steer in mid-air, but it's also harder to judge when you're going fast enough to do a running jump rather than just a pathetic standing hop that'll land you right in the middle of the hole you're trying to clear - the transition seems to be fairly abrupt.

Once again, it really feels like you're talking about a completely different game. SMB is not like this at all.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:38 pm 

Sumez is the only person I've heard say SMB feels better than SMB3. The jump arc is very weird; you just sort of float for a second and then drop like an anvil.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:14 pm 

I never claimed it feels "better" than SMB3. They are just different, not necessarily better or worse. I can't think of anything I'd do to SMB1's controls to "improve" them.
I've heard people criticize it for being too floaty, which I also disagree strongly with, but at least I can understand where they are coming from. Calling it "stiff" is the exact opposite and makes no sense.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:37 pm 

Wait. According to this, the physics in SMB3 are different in PAL. Could it be that, combined with a ton of practice with SMB so that muscle memory compensates for any physics shortcomings?

Sumez wrote:
I've heard people criticize it for being too floaty [...] Calling it "stiff" is the exact opposite and makes no sense.

Okay, so at least part of this is semantic. "Floaty" and "stiff" are not opposites in my book, and could both fairly be used to describe SMB. But in moderation, of course, as there's nothing horribly wrong with the controls.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:43 pm 

Both SMB1 and 3 are different between PAL and NTSC because both were adjusted to compensate for the slower rate of vblanks. I've played both versions of both games though (as in, Jap and EU versions), and with my experience from the PAL versions, the NTSC ones felt perfectly natural. You only really notice the difference when comparing them side by side.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6