Cynical Espozo (and others)'s grand list of "overrated"

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Cynical Espozo (and others)'s grand list of "overrated"

Post by Drew Sebastino »

You guys may not agree, but I think we've been in desperate need of a bullshit thread, now that it's summer and I have more time off. :lol: I've found that many of you share the same views as I do about Apple, which many of my peers do not. In fact, basically everyone I know in person (including my best friends) would disagree with most every item on this list. I think it would be interesting to see how all of your views differ from those of my friends and family; two of my closest friends do think I'm too cynical, but I tell them I'm just being too realistic for them. :roll:

I tried to rank the items, but I found myself having trouble ordering a lot of them, so I just made a tier list. Individual items in each tier can be in any order. Anyway, without further a do...

God Tier:
Apple
Steve Jobs
Texas :lol: (you have to live here to know)

S Tier:
Vine (thank heaven this dumbass service is dead. Here's to hoping Twitter and Snapchat slide off into the abyss with it.)
EA (would be in God Tier if people didn't call them out. unlike Apple for the most part)
BioWare
Most Oscar nominated/winning movies (how did anyone enjoy Brooklyn?)
Most American made music from the late 90's and onward
American Football
Squaresoft
Any RPG ever made
Pumpkin spice
Coconut
Seinfeld (I hadn't watched enough of this to really form an opinion, but it's a sitcom, so...)

A Tier:
Blizzard
Call of Duty (even in its dire state, it's still a shit game)
Overwatch (especially as an esport)
Super Smash Bros for Wii U (especially as an esport)
Super Mario Maker
Any Marvel movie ever made
Star Wars: The Force Awakens (definitely better than Rogue One, but that much more overrated too)
Minecraft (at least it's recognized as a little kid's game now)
Any Youtuber with over 3M subscribers (although Watchmojo is my guilty pleasure...)
Avatar (would be S Tier, but I think more people now see this movie as the Hollywood cash grab it is)

B Tier:
Ridley Scott
Steven Spielberg
George Lucas
Star Wars: Rogue One
Netflix Originals
Beats branded headphones (they're definitely declining in popularity, which isn't why they aren't in a higher tier)
Half-Life 1 & 2
Resident Evil / Bio Hazard series

C Tier:
Terminator 2
Sony
Satoru Iwata (much of the initial fuss has gone down, but if you bring it back up...)
James Cameron
Skyrim

D Tier:
The Legend of Zelda series
Last edited by Drew Sebastino on Wed May 31, 2017 11:33 pm, edited 12 times in total.
ccovell

Re: Cynical Espozo's grand list of "overrated"

Post by ccovell »

Can I add any music by Square[soft] to your list? :)
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

You can put blizzard on that list. They get a medal for continuing to develop/support diablo 2, but their high water mark has passed. Also, some of the good stuff came from a company they acquired.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

FrankenGraphics wrote:their high water mark has passed
As evidenced by their latest POS.
ccovell wrote:Can I add any music by Square[soft] to your list? :)
YES! :twisted:
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

I take it you don't mean Positively Outstanding Service? :lol: I haven't played Overwatch so i cannot comment on that, but i thought it was good for them to reach a new/other field of audience. However, i think they lost me as early as WC3. It's more of an aesthetic issue for me.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Re: Cynical Espozo (and others)'s grand list of "overrated"

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Yeah, I mean Piece of Shit. :lol: I played it for 5 minutes at a friend's house, and it's just casual "zany" shooter number 3,000. Move along.
FrankenGraphics wrote:i thought it was good for them to reach a new/other field of audience.
The only audience they should be reaching are dumpster divers.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Can i put ridley scott on the list? (possibly also spielberg and lucas). Citing an article, " In March 2017, Scott said, 'If you really want a franchise, I can keep cranking it for another six.'"

God please no.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Absolutely! (This is even more fun than I thought it would be... :lol:) Where do you suggest they should go? I might end up making a D Tier. For example, The Legend of Zelda OoT is a great game, but being the best rated game on Metacritic is a bit absurd. (Although Tony Hawk Pro Skater is 2nd?)

What do you think of James Cameron? The Terminator is the only movie I really like from him (it's probably my favorite movie ever, actually); the rest are just CG showcases.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot Skyrim. A lot to do, but not much reason to do any of it. It's just so gray and boring that I never got into it, and I fully beat Oblivion back in 2010. However I tried playing Oblivion not too long ago, but I just couldn't get into it. How does it manage to look worse, and perform even worse than an original Xbox game when it's on the Xbox 360?
Last edited by Drew Sebastino on Tue May 30, 2017 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

I suppose their aura of genius is disputed, but they have their place in the hollywood pantheon. B tier perhaps?
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Cameron is ok, made films that didn't make me cringe up until avatar. Really liked Aliens, needless to say. Does he have an alleviated elevated status?
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Yeah, I just put him down one, along with adding Skyrim, Minecraft, a blanket "Youtubers with over 3M subscribers" because they're either clickbait or some shitty Minecraft letsplay. The only James Cameron movies I have seen are The Terminator, Terminator 2, Titanic, and Avatar, only one of which I actually enjoyed (each one worse than the last).
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Is skyrim any different than FO3, FO:NV? I played Oblivion a lot but just couldn't motivate myself because of the very same reason you mentioned with later games. It's impossible to care for the side quests OR main quest (felt partly the same in oblivion, but i got something out of the exploration and character building). Haven't played FO4 at all.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

FrankenGraphics wrote:Is skyrim any different than FO3, FO:NV?
Worse. I'd easily rate them, from greatest to least. FO3, FO:NV, Skyrim. FO3 is the only one of the three I beat; FO;NV felt like the exact same thing except more poorly designed, which is why I never bothered beating it after I beat FO3.
FrankenGraphics wrote:Haven't played FO4 at all.
Neither have I, but from what I've heard, I doubt I'm missing much. :lol:
Oziphantom

Post by Oziphantom »

SquareSoft was AWESOME - and the music of Chrono Trigger is DAMN FINE. SquareEnix/Edios is a total stuff up... although Rise of the Tomb Raider is my game of the decade.

Diablo 3 ROS is AMAZING, and better than D2 !

Marvel is Crap but the Thor Movies are top notch fun ;) I mean just look at the latest trailer...

PS4? Sold well but who actually uses one?

I request Pumpkin Spice for GOD Tier.. maybe Oreos as well?

Next time you see somebody say "ain't nothing bigger than Texas, Texas is huge", tell them Texas is Tiny... I'm in the 5th largest state in my Country and Texas is 2/3 the size of it... tiny..

I think Bioware should be on the list somewhere.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Admittedly, D2 has grown stale. Most builds/strategies come down to one active skill, items provide mana, click a zillion times without involvement to grind to no particular purpose. Or maybe, just maybe there's some small, rare adaptation you might need to prepare for certain events.