It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:37 am 
Formerly WheelInventor

tokumaru wrote:
I've always used the terms "name table" and "tile map" interchangeably.

It's a semantic thing, isn't it? A very large name table could potentially hold a level.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:42 am 

Bregalad wrote:
Personally I'd just drop the concept of "nametables" (as far as I know unique to the NES)

Are you referring to the segmentation of tilemaps wider than 32 tiles into 32xsomething-tile chunks? The Super NES, Game Boy Advance, and Nintendo DS 2D hardware retain this quirk outside rot/scale backgrounds.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:20 am 

TmEE wrote:
Programming the FPGA is as easy as EPROM, connect a cable and press "program" button on the PC side... just making the stuff that gets programmed isn't anything along the lines of easy :P

That's where the whole "open source" thing gets in. I'd assume in relation to this whole thread's topic, FPGAs are unavoidable in the first place.

I agree that "TurboGrafx" pretty much fills the void for the need for well designed console hardware placed somewhere between the 8bit and 16bit generations, and SD card adapters are even pretty cheap if you wanna start making homebrew for it. That's why I brought up the arcade-style "everything on one PCB" concept - being able to easily (and relatively cheap) reproduce the necessary hardware would be huge in my book. Reproducing a PC-Engine isn't that simple.

From what I can see, Mega65 is the closest to what I was thinking of, but it also seems like it's designed with a more PC-like configuration in mind - or more exactly, replicating the C64, OS and all. Also, it's seems it's still in development. You can download a bitstream to use, but there doesn't seem to be any complete hardware design, so it's unclear to me how "complex" the physical hardware profile is gonna be.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:54 am 

tepples wrote:
Are you referring to the segmentation of tilemaps wider than 32 tiles into 32xsomething-tile chunks? The Super NES, Game Boy Advance, and Nintendo DS 2D hardware retain this quirk outside rot/scale backgrounds.

Yes I refer to that precisely. I didn't know that Nintendo kept that in their later consoles, which sucks, because it's a terrible idea.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:15 am 

My thoughts.

-256 color choices (vs current 50ish), 8 or 16 per palette
-per tile palette selection, and BG tile flipping

Larger sprites (16x16) and more per line

More RAM...32k

Music, 8 pulse channels, finer volume control
-1 full PCM audio channel

Faster processor. 65c02. They make 14 Mhz today, that's
8x faster than NES.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:30 am 
Formerly WheelInventor

As for pulse generators, dedicate at least a byte for PWM per channel. Besides finer granularity (making sweeps and a bunch of timbres possible), you can get octave-like overtones this way. Example waveform: --__-_-_

Another cheap application is to use flip-flops to get frequency division, and thus get suboctaves. you'd need active control of the sum/mixer to make it versatile.

Last edited by FrankenGraphics on Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:41 am 

I'm thinking lots of 8-bit registers that can be combined to form 16-bit registers. But to keep that from being literally the Z80, I guess they could also combine in certain combinations to form 24-bit, 32-bit...

Honestly my ideal old console processor is a fast Z80. Not gonna lie. 65xx is more fun but Z80 makes way more sense to me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:50 pm 

I say make the whole thing out of 7400 series logic parts and EPROM tables. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:17 pm 

tepples wrote:
Three words:

Turbo
Grafx
Sixteen

Actually, I really like the 9-bit color palette of 512 choices. Blows NES out of the water.

And it has much bigger sprites, 16 per line.

There doesn't seem to be a homebrew scene for TG16/PCE. It's a shame. I know almost nothing about the system. Never saw one in my life.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:38 pm 

nicklausw wrote:
I'm thinking lots of 8-bit registers that can be combined to form 16-bit registers. But to keep that from being literally the Z80, I guess they could also combine in certain combinations to form 24-bit, 32-bit...

Honestly my ideal old console processor is a fast Z80. Not gonna lie. 65xx is more fun but Z80 makes way more sense to me.

There's the eZ80 which has 24-bit registers, a 3-stage pipeline, and which ditches the z80's 4-bit ALU for a 24-bit one, so it's pretty much a suped-up fast z80 in every way. Would be cool to see that in something that's not an embedded system with fixed code; the closest I've seen are some of TI's newer calculators.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:48 pm 

NovaSquirrel wrote:
There's the eZ80 which has 24-bit registers, a 3-stage pipeline, and which ditches the z80's 4-bit ALU for a 24-bit one, so it's pretty much a suped-up fast z80 in every way. Would be cool to see that in something that's not an embedded system with fixed code; the closest I've seen are some of TI's newer calculators.

Man, they stole my idea almost a decade before I came up with it! [/sarcasm]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:11 pm 

Bregalad wrote:
Come on, this topic has already been discussed over and over here and here.
Where and where?

There was also that FamiCube thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:27 pm 

I came up with some specifications for a slightly improved NES-like PPU.

-up to 64kB of VRAM or VROM, accessed through the cartridge
-8kB of VRAM inside the system that is controlled by the cartridge (the way the NES does it)
-CPU is allowed to access 4kB of the VRAM/VROM at once
-6 byte FIFO, allowing the CPU to write up to 6 bytes per scan lines
-up to 1024 sprite patterns at once
-up to 1024 BG patterns at once
-56 colors at once (same limits as GBC)
-2 selectable 64x32 tile nametables (more can be used with on-cart VRAM)
-sprites and backgrounds can both be flipped and have priority
-64 8x8 or 8x16 sprites
-16 sprites per line

I haven't decided on what kind of palette it would have, but I have an interesting idea. Use an NTSC/PAL palette, but use a color index ROM to prevent out of gamut colors.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:59 pm 

dougeff wrote:
There doesn't seem to be a homebrew scene for TG16/PCE. It's a shame. I know almost nothing about the system. Never saw one in my life.

There are some actually, just not really active (Frozen Utopia even had several commercial releases such as a RPG, though their homepage is currently "down until some big announcements").

Also, Chris Covell's demos.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:36 pm 

There is a very small community of programmers,I also just started with TG-16 development.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or3oS-zd2gY

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next