It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:58 am 

Oh indeed, I was confused with the count, sorry.

Quote:
Okay, then why do you need to read twice?

I assumed RGBA32 source, 4 bytes.

Anyway, the handwaving shows it possible, now all that's left is implementation ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:46 pm 

calima wrote:
now all that's left is implementation ;)

The easy part, eh...

It does seem like this method combined with terrain LOD and simpler rendering for distant polygons could get me quite a long draw distance, but I suppose without experiments there's no way to tell how long for a given level of visual acceptability.

There's also still the question of whether the perspective distortion between frames would be adequately small or could easily be corrected to be so, but that seems like a complicated question to deal with when idly discussing blue-sky hypotheticals... I was thinking perhaps vertices on the boundary between layers could be pinned together and serve as reference points for a warp transform, but I didn't get any further than that.

Now, if anybody here knows enough about CPU and RAM issues in open world games to meaningfully speculate about the feasibility of BotW on N64 (not just "in some form"; I mean fundamentally the same game), and is willing to bother doing so, there might still be something to talk about. Other than that it's just how to do certain special effects, which is a bit premature given that the engine is barely a concept at this point and is unlikely to get a whole lot further...

Oh, what the heck... Anybody have any ideas on how one might go about implementing mowable grass in large quantities on the N64? I was thinking of using raised texture mapping or fake parallax mapping, possibly exploiting the mipmapping feature to render cut sections, with special handling (billboard? alpha gradient?) for objects seen behind the grass. But I don't know enough about the N64 to know how much sense this makes; perhaps I should read up on it some more...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:41 pm 

for me Breath of the wild is very good game!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:01 pm 

93143 wrote:
I guess it's a question of whether banding or dither looks worse at retarded frame rates

Okay, no. I just watched a 60fps video of F-Zero X captured from an HDMI-modded N64, and it seems the dither is stationary. I should have remembered this; there are scenes where it's pretty obvious even in recollections.

Actually, according to the manual, there are two types of dither - stationary pattern dither (as in F-Zero X) and pseudorandom noise, which is of course not stationary.

So what does the pattern dither look like when scrolled/zoomed/warped with trilinear interpolation and then dithered again?

Attachment:
zelda_far_redither.png
zelda_far_redither.png [ 28.15 KiB | Viewed 295 times ]

Hmm... not terrible, considering the magnitude of the task being attempted. Perhaps it would look worse in motion, but the easiest way I can think of to test that would take more time than I want to sink into it...

I took a 240x180 chunk out of a (lossy) screenshot of the real game, dithered it down to 15-bit with 2x2 pattern dither in cq, blew it up linearly to 244x183, cropped it back to 240x180, and repeated the dither operation. Then I doubled it with nearest-neighbour for easier viewing. (I know the actual screen would be bigger, but I wanted a nondescript chunk of distant terrain without alpha clouds, and this was the biggest gap I could find that didn't have Hyrule Castle in it...)

In my scheme, the sky would not be prerendered in the backdrops; it would be rendered fresh every frame, so the double dither effect would only happen to the terrain.

Using pseudorandom RGB dither on the second pass substantially obscures the original pattern dither (at least in a static image), but it doesn't look that great either (again, in a static image):

Attachment:
zelda_far_renoise.png
zelda_far_renoise.png [ 52.87 KiB | Viewed 295 times ]

I'm not totally sure I did that right. I just added uncorrelated RGB noise at a magnitude of 0.03 in GIMP...