It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Future of Nintendo?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:18 pm 

I know, this is kind of a topic that's talked about quite often, but do you think that Nintendo will still be able to keep a hold on the Console market after the Nintendo Switch? I mean we live in a time where computers are getting more powerful practically every day, and gaming PCs are getting more common, which makes sense, because why a $300 dollar computer for work and a $300 console for games when you can spend the combined total of money on a computer that can do both! But to be fair, however, Nintendo still has a strong grip on the Handheld gaming market, as a matter of fact, from what I know, I think that Nintendo has most of the Handheld gaming market to themselves. Anyways, what are your thoughts on this?

Post subject: Re: Future of Nintendo?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:27 pm 

With the chips available today, you can't get anything as powerful as an NVIDIA Tegra but with x86 instead of ARM. So that rules out a Switch caliber handheld with PC compatibility.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:39 pm 

Apart from first-party games, the big reason Nintendo still has a market is that U.S. electronics retail chains don't carry JXD's Android-powered gaming tablets, and almost no one else is willing to make an Android device that ships with a gamepad. Sony tried with the Xperia Play, but why didn't that take off?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:25 pm 

But do you think that Nintendo will still be in the hardware industry in 10 years? Or will they be like Sega and become a 3rd party software developer for non-Nintendo hardware? I'd say so because like I said earlier, gaming PCs are starting to become more common then dedicated consoles, and their games are still selling pretty well after all these years, and if you don't believe me, Pokémon Go is currently in the top 20 most grossing IOS games at number 16. So there games are still very popular, and so in the future, if they want to stay in business, they might have to start developing for other platforms, mainly PC, and possibly PlayStation and Xbox if they are still a thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:25 pm 

Quote:
I mean we live in a time where computers are getting more powerful practically every day

On the other hand, the rate at which computers are getting more powerful has never been so slow in the last 40 years. Basically they are so powerful that there's no need/point/possibility to improve anymore.

Quote:
But do you think that Nintendo will still be in the hardware industry in 10 years?

I don't think it matters what anyone "thinks" - because nobody can predict the future, not even us at nesdev. Personally I have zero interest in modern games and I couldn't care less if Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft or whatever goes bankrupt or retires from the market, this have zero effect on me since I already have a couple of hundred of great retro games to play.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:43 am 

I guess I belong to the "don't care" crowd too. Yesterday I say a Nintendo Switch being sold at a physical store around here for the first time for the equivalent to US$724 (just now I looked up the US price to know exactly how outrageous this is, and to look for cheaper alternatives, and the best deal is apparently US$570), and regardless of the price, the only thing I could think as I looked at it was "I have absolutely no desire to own this thing". Seriously, if I won a Switch free of charge, I'd sell it in a heartbeat. I don't outright hate all modern games, but so very few appeal to me that I can't possibly justify the expense of a current video game console. A powerful PC, maybe, because I'd also use it for work.

Anyway, consoles nowadays are hardly unique in any way, every video card generates the same kinds of graphics and all audio is just PCM data, so it's not like the hardware makes any real difference anymore. Any game that can be made can be made for any platform, so really, what's the point of worshiping any specific hardware makers these days?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:25 am 

tokumaru wrote:
Yesterday I say a Nintendo Switch being sold at a physical store around here for the first time for the equivalent to US$724 (just now I looked up the US price to know exactly how outrageous this is, and to look for cheaper alternatives, and the best deal is apparently US$570)

Wow, this is super expensive :shock:
And when I think Nintendo was earlier hevily criticized because their hardware was too cheap (especially for the Wii/Wii U and the Nintendo DS/3DS).

Quote:
Seriously, if I won a Switch free of charge, I'd sell it in a heartbeat.

Wow you must really hate the thing. Personally I'm not very interested but if I were offered a Switch I'd definitely use it. Or even if I had to pick any modern console, I think I'd pick the switch - at least the design is original and innovative, it's not like yet another smartphone clone.

Quote:
I don't outright hate all modern games

Neither do I - I just have zero interest, neither love nor hate.

Quote:
Anyway, consoles nowadays are hardly unique in any way, every video card generates the same kinds of graphics and all audio is just PCM data, so it's not like the hardware makes any real difference anymore. Any game that can be made can be made for any platform, so really, what's the point of worshiping any specific hardware makers these days?

Couldn't agree more. The same is even true for computers - back then there was IBM PC clones, Macs, Amigas, all of them being very different. Nowadays there's just PC clones, Macs are basically PCs marketed to as Macs (only the software is different), and there's the Raspberry Pi which is nice, but it's still close enough to a PC with a ARM processor (it makes almost no difference running Linux on a Rapberry Pi or on a PC).

I must confess I'm on the verge of regretting having studied a technology-related topic because everything is so f*** off, I should have gotten a carrier that wasn't about technology despite my interest for technology but it's a bit too late now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:45 am 

Bregalad wrote:
Wow, this is super expensive :shock:

Yeah, no surprise when it comes to Brazil. AFAIK, Nintendo themselves don't even have official distribution around here anymore, because the taxes make it unfeasible for them. Everything being sold here is now brought by random importers.

Quote:
Wow you must really hate the thing.

It's not hate, just complete indifference. I have so many better uses for the US$500 I could get by selling it... If for some reason I couldn't sell it, then yeah, I'd probably give it a shot.

Quote:
Or even if I had to pick any modern console, I think I'd pick the switch - at least the design is original and innovative, it's not like yet another smartphone clone.

Meh, I'm not particularly fond of its design. The screen that gets scratched easily, the stuck joycon straps... I much prefer the basic stationary console I can play in my living room without hassle.

Quote:
the Raspberry Pi which is nice, but it's still close enough to a PC with a ARM processor (it makes almost no difference running Linux on a Rapberry Pi or on a PC).

And even when coding you just need to use another compiler, since nobody uses assembly anymore.

Quote:
I must confess I'm on the verge of regretting having studied a technology-related topic because everything is so f*** off, I should have gotten a carrier that wasn't about technology despite my interest for technology but it's a bit too late now.

I feel the same way (I already regret it, though). Back when I had to pick between art and technology, I sadly went with technology. Technology changes so fast that we don't even have time to make the most out of things, since just when we're getting used to something, that thing becomes obsolete because something shinier shows up... I guess this has always been the case really, this is not a new phenomenon, it just took me a while to realize this was the case, and that I'd rather not have to renew my knowledge, software and hardware so frequently.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:40 am 

tokumaru wrote:
Yeah, no surprise when it comes to Brazil. AFAIK, Nintendo themselves don't even have official distribution around here anymore, because the taxes make it unfeasible for them. Everything being sold here is now brought by random importers.

Ah those were the Brazil prices? For some reason I thought it was the US prices since you said it in US$, but now that I read your post again I saw "the equivalent of..." which means you converted the price for convenience. Oh well in Switzerland we also have much higher prices than in any of the neighbouring countries for everything, some products costs 1.3 times their French or German prices but some are 3 or 4 times more, but that's a whole other topic I'd rather not go into. On the contrary to Brazil however, our salaries are also higher, so it's not so much a problem as it sounds (for those who are lucky enough to have a "true" salary). Also our higher prices are *not* due to import taxes, so the price rise doesn't even fund the government, but private corporations, which in the end makes things probably worse. (<- This is largely opinion based though)

Quote:
Meh, I'm not particularly fond of its design. The screen that gets scratched easily, the stuck joycon straps...

Neither am I, but you have to admit the design is original and innovative. The same can't be said of most computer/phone products sold today... If you didn't guess already by my comment I hate above all smartphones with passion and wish those pieces of shit were never invented.

Quote:
And even when coding you just need to use another compiler, since nobody uses assembly anymore.

You don't need to, but coding in assembly makes it both longer and harder to develop and impossible to port, and comes with no real advantages except a totally insignificant boost in performance that nobody cares about anyway.

And let's be honest, I love dealing with simple hardware things in assembly, but dealing with complex data structures such as strings or resizeable associative arrays in assembly would be... a complete nightmare.

Quote:
I feel the same way (I already regret it, though). Back when I had to pick between art and technology, I sadly went with technology. Technology changes so fast that we don't even have time to make the most out of things, since just when we're getting used to something, that thing becomes obsolete because something shinier shows up... I guess this has always been the case really, this is not a new phenomenon, it just took me a while to realize this was the case, and that I'd rather not have to renew my knowledge, software and hardware so frequently.

Well on the economical sense it makes zero sense to choose art over anything - but in my opinion art is what defines a civilisation. Artists from ancient Egypt have done something that is still of significance today, for example... What we do with our technology jobs will get thrown in the waste bin in 10 years at most so it is completely useless. I guess I could have gone further and do a banking-style job which is completely useless for humanity and totally uninteresting, but that would pay a shitload... at least it makes sense, technology is like the worst of both, it is useless AND it doesn't pay really that much. The fact I'm an un-charismatic and perhaps somewhat eccentric person doesn't help, and makes finding jobs very though for me.

Our civilisation (by "our" I mean the overall US-dominated western world) is clearly declining in my opinion, and the fact our art sucks is a large part of it. It's either all about marketing/design to make people buy stuff ; Or it's just spoiling patin on a piece of paper and calling it "a painting". This is really proof of our society's decadence. Our advancing technology is great, but is nothing compared to the vertiginous decline of art/culture.

I'm thinking perhaps a non-technology related job I could do is being a French teacher abroad but I'm not even that good with my French to start with, I just speak it as my mother language. However in a country where not many French natives are found, this could interest them and perhaps I could have a relatively stable job and interesting that way ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:08 am 
Formerly WheelInventor

I promise to buy a Switch if they promise to STOP lighting up the touch screen of my Wii U in the middle of the night with commercials about the switch on it, and likewise stop flashing the bright blue LED of the home button at equally inconvenient times to notify there's garbage to be looked at in the eShop. :evil: I'm one step away from banning it in my router.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:04 am 

What the hell, do consoles do that now? Why can't things just stay truly powered off when you're not using them? This obsession with notifications really drives me nuts.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:15 am 
Formerly WheelInventor

They've been doing it on major releases and sparsely now and then, but now it's E3 and they really want me to know that SWITCH! SWITCH! It HAS Games! Soon at least!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:25 am 

tokumaru wrote:
What the hell, do consoles do that now? Why can't things just stay truly powered off when you're not using them? This obsession with notifications really drives me nuts.

The same can be said about Samsung phones. Some idiot in Samsung's development team thought "You know what would be a good idea? Putting a bright LED on our phone to have it blink when you have a notification and have no way to turn it off except for looking at the notificaton" That might not seem like much of a problem, but when you have it charge in your room while you're trying to sleep, it makes it a whole lot harder to sleep. Oh, and tokumaru, you can still be an artist, because who said Video Games aren't art? Video Games are capable of having awesome music, beautiful graphics, and can even have a story. So if you want to still be an artist, you should keep with Video Games, because you already have all of the knowledge of the technology needed to make a game.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:32 am 

Why can't game systems run games just by turning the game system on? That is something off-putting to me with new game systems is that you have to wait through logos, notifications, menu screens and stuff with a load times and pointless transition effects. Add to the fact that HDTVs take longer to turn on, and you have to go through a bunch of inputs to get to the game system. Plus the fact, that if you can't find the remote, they always make the buttons in a hard to find spot with engraved symbols the same color as the TV (which is always black nowadays). My TV in my bedroom has the buttons ON THE BOTTOM, and I have to sit on the floor just to see them.

They might as well put the buttons in brail.

Last edited by psycopathicteen on Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:33 am 

FrankenGraphics wrote:
I promise to buy a Switch if they promise to STOP lighting up the touch screen of my Wii U in the middle of the night with commercials about the switch on it, and likewise stop flashing the bright blue LED of the home button at equally inconvenient times to notify there's garbage to be looked at in the eShop. :evil: I'm one step away from banning it in my router.

tokumaru wrote:

This made me chuckle, I always have my wii u pad turned facing away from the living room so I don't have to see its stupid ads all the time. And then I got sick of the noise it made so I just leave the damn thing unplugged til I'm actually playing it, which is almost never except for playing through mario 3D world.

I got sucked into social media on my android phone for a while but I got sick of that too, and I use a do not disturb feature nearly all the time. i'm even missing phone calls now, lol.